Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 05:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,019 times

Advertisements

I am currently designing an activity table for children aged 3 - 9yrs for my A2 project and i would like to know what makes children tick: What games do they like best
What keeps them interested
Do they like to play together

All these kinds of questions i need information on. Anything you have particulally noticed about how children like to play, how long their attention span is and what they like doing would be helpful!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times
Things to consider: affordable, low to the ground, spill proof (or just accept it will get things spilled on it), scratch proof (same as with spills, you may need to accept it).

Other than that, a low table that suits low chairs. What else would you want?

They like to play with their friends. A pile of sticks on the side of the house can be just as fun as a $50 toy.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,758,218 times
3 - 9 is a huge age gap. You would almost have to design a changeable table to accommodate toddler / preschool age (they are still transitioning from playing side-by-side to playing together), but then be able to change to a play surface that interests a child who is only a couple years away from middle school.

Are you thinking of a flat table (I'm picturing the ones with a checker board painted on them), or will it be electronic? An interactive table that you could put a tablet into might work for that broad of an age gap...

Old 07-05-2013, 11:54 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,618,297 times
Define activity table.

For games or activities?
One that has things permanently attached to it?
Interchangeable activities?
Layers of tabletops that can be removed or alternated?
Activities only on the top, or on all sides as well?
Video game type table?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
If you're designing something for kids to play with occasionally, for example in the doctor's waiting room, then games like tic tac toe and other simple games would work. Anything too simple will cause the older kids to lose interest pretty quickly, but if they're only using it for a little while to pass the time, then simple games are okay.

My 7 year old likes to play poker and pool. She also likes to play just about any game on her tablet.

One thing I've noticed that kids of all ages like to do is draw on a whiteboard. Younger kids can just scribble or draw, older ones can practice spelling words or math problems on it.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:36 PM

6 posts, read 9,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One thing I've noticed that kids of all ages like to do is draw on a whiteboard. Younger kids can just scribble or draw, older ones can practice spelling words or math problems on it.
That's actually such an awesome idea. Just attach a whiteboard to the top of a short table, and drop some markers on it. Simple, affordable, and endlessly fun!

Old 07-08-2013, 01:04 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,588,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelletodd View Post
That's actually such an awesome idea. Just attach a whiteboard to the top of a short table, and drop some markers on it. Simple, affordable, and endlessly fun!
That would be great. I'd add some small drawers for paper and markers and such, and then to top it off give it a top so that it could be turned into a regular table for eating, playing with playdough, games, etc. Right now we have an easel AND a table, and it takes up way too much space.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:34 PM

655 posts, read 1,129,528 times
LOL....I think you all just did the OPs homework for her/him.......I hope you get credit!

Old 07-08-2013, 05:06 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Lego base with storage drawers/baskets that slide in and out. Maybe be able to flip the Lego part over for a smooth table/white board.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Lego base with storage drawers/baskets that slide in and out. Maybe be able to flip the Lego part over for a smooth table/white board.
They make those commercially. I just freecycled mine. Ours had flip open pockets to store the legos in. I don't see any like it online though. It was older, so maybe it has been discontinued. The white board also could stand up like an easel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting