Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:54 AM

383 posts, read 1,586,999 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a 21 year old male. I am looking to defer my studies in the UK and try something new and exciting. I would like to know what are your views on male au pairs. I feel that male au pairs generally have more of an authority and that, to some extent, children are safer with a male.

Thank you for your opinions.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,418,406 times
I would never hire a male Au Pair or Male Baby Sitter

Why take the risk?

that is my take

Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 AM

13,976 posts, read 25,850,746 times
With three sons, yes I would consider it. Your references would have to be impeccable and verifiable and I would expect that you had training in child care. At that point, I'd go with my gut, but you wouldn't automatically get the job, or lose it, based on your gender.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:36 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,924,372 times
Chris: Q: Why do you think there is a 'Risk' with a Male vs Female AuPair? If both are vetted the same way?

Yes, I would if equally Qualified.

I've seen a few, mainly watching Toddler Boys/School aged Boys. But they are few and far between.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,215,153 times
I wouldn't but only because my daughter is terrified of strange men. If I had sons I'd probably prefer a male (as they would probably prefer a male).

Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,028,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
Hi,

I am a 21 year old male. I am looking to defer my studies in the UK and try something new and exciting. I would like to know what are your views on male au pairs. I feel that male au pairs generally have more of an authority and that, to some extent, children are safer with a male.

You are completely off the mark on both of these accounts. Children are no safer and feel no more authoritity with a man than a woman. Children respond to whomever shows them real authority consistantly not a wee bit here and there. As far as safer not a chance, they are equally safe with a woman as they are with a man.

Personally, No I would not hire a male to care for my children, mainly because I and their Father cared for them ourselves. Next I would never hire a 21 year old to care for my children because my children have always been around older adults or children their age and they would respond better to an older adult.
After that I would not hire you or anyone else with the attitude you have about authority and safety.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 AM

18,372 posts, read 31,478,916 times
I have 3 boys and always had boy babysitters from the neighborhood kids, My boys, would completely "torture" a girl babysitter, so a boy babysitter was more like an older friend, it worked out better that way for us.

but them, the neighborhood boys were older say 16 or 17, so that was fine, besides i kne them and their parents so well anyway, it wasnt like a stranger

Old 07-05-2013, 09:12 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,828,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I would never hire a male Au Pair or Male Baby Sitter

Why take the risk?

that is my take
What risk? I am the parent of three sons and I don't understand what risk you are describing. Any time you leave your children with a babysitter there is some risk.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:14 AM

1,271 posts, read 1,326,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
Hi,

Well my kids are older, but when they were young, no... I have 2 girls who were both very shy and would have freaked (they seemed to warm up to women more then men when they were toddlers). Sorry. But boys would probably prefer a guy to a girl babysitter (just my guess)

Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 AM

8,815 posts, read 15,252,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You are completely off the mark on both of these accounts. Children are no safer and feel no more authoritity with a man than a woman. Children respond to whomever shows them real authority consistantly not a wee bit here and there. As far as safer not a chance, they are equally safe with a woman as they are with a man.

Personally, No I would not hire a male to care for my children, mainly because I and their Father cared for them ourselves. Next I would never hire a 21 year old to care for my children because my children have always been around older adults or children their age and they would respond better to an older adult.
After that I would not hire you or anyone else with the attitude you have about authority and safety.
Would you be ok with an early 20s male kindergarten or first grade teacher for your child? Of course you might not have much say in that situation, so it is a bit different from hiring a sitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting