Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:42 AM

987 posts, read 3,818,370 times

Advertisements

I use childcare once in awhile. I found out that the place (which will not be named) restricts their employees to under 30 hours so they are never eligible for health benefits. Many of them work two jobs to make ends meet, a total of 55 hours for some.

Would you like the people who look after your kids to be cared for as well they care for your child? I would, what's your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:14 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
I use childcare once in awhile. I found out that the place (which will not be named) restricts their employees to under 30 hours so they are never eligible for health benefits. Many of them work two jobs to make ends meet, a total of 55 hours for some.

Would you like the people who look after your kids to be cared for as well they care for your child? I would, what's your opinion?
Depends on how much more you're willing to pay for daycare. They'll pass those costs along to you.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Depends on how much more you're willing to pay for daycare. They'll pass those costs along to you.
It's not just a matter of cost to me. If it were I'd just use unlicensed daycare at $5/hr.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
It's not just a matter of cost to me. If it were I'd just use unlicensed daycare at $5/hr.
It is to a lot of other people, though.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:11 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
Truthfully I never really thought about that before. I guess I always assumed they had some sort of benefits but never really paid attention to it. As a parent I guess I would want them to have benefits just from the health aspect alone. I wouldn't want a worker to pass their germs on to my children. As far as cost goes there would come a point where cost was a factor to me. I stay home with my children for the reason that it costs way to much now as it is to put 3 children into daycare.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
It is to a lot of other people, though.
Well what do you yourself think or feel?

Personally I expect that the person whom I depend on to care for my child is cared for as well.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Personally I expect that the person whom I depend on to care for my child is cared for as well.
Why? The person who picks your produce, bags your groceries, pumps your gas, cleans the bathroom at work, etc. probably isn't [cared for] either. Did you know some nurses work on contract or per diem and don't have health benefits either?

Why JUST your child's caretaker? Why not everyone?

Old 11-07-2007, 01:17 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,230 times
I am so glad that our daycare is affiliated with my employer so most of the staff are able to have full coverage insurance - having had child care in several places, I would much rather pay a little bit more for WONDERFUL childcare where the employees are happy and love their job - for me that is priceless to leave your children in a place where you know they are happy and well cared for while you go to work

of course ideally everyone should have access to some type of healthcare, but that is a seperate issue

For me well cared for employees have lower turnover and enjoy their jobs more, which is exactly the type of enviroment i want my most precious little ones in

Old 11-07-2007, 01:25 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
Quote:

Why, do you think if they had health benefits the child care would be better?

Old 11-07-2007, 01:32 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,056 times
I work with kids, and my place of work doesnt offer benefits such as health care. I knew it coming in, its frustrating, but whaddya do? My only gripe with it, is when people still send their children to me when they are ill. ( I work w/a sports program very very hands on, with groups of kids at a time) They will come in w/fevers, coughs, spots, and after they have thrown up. ugh. I'll have kids tell me, "I didnt go to school today because I was throwing up but Mom said I should still come here today" - even had one little boy, i pulled out of my class he was so pale and miserable, turned out he had been diagnosed w/pnemonia that day!!!! Some parents are so stupid! ugh.
anyhow, it is crazy, I know most of us who have jobs that are direct involvement w/kids, do not have insurance. And yet, if we have to cancel a lesson because we are ill, parents go nutso on us! Go figure.
Somedays, I wish the US was like Canada and everyone had insurance. It'd ease a lot of my strain!
Just a little suggestion too, if you have a few dollars some days, buy some antibacterial hand lotion, and some klenex and pass em on to your child care/afterschool sports/etc. place. Most of us have to buy it all on our own dime, and then we spend the day doling it out to the kids and among staff. Doesnt last long. Anyhow, it'd benifit all and would be a very appriciated gesture. Just a thought....
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting