Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,484,372 times

Advertisements

This past weekend, we were visiting family , for the 4th of July holiday.
While at their home, I couldn't help but notice all of the pictures , some framed, some not.. Of their children's artwork ( from all ages, they are in middle school now).
There were things on the fridge, and more recent things taped to the kitchen cabinets, including a "congratulatory" letter from school for making the honor roll.
I also noticed that there were a few things that also belonged to my cousins ( the parents) , they are both teachers and they had several "thank you" letters taped up from parents of students.
A little odd I thought about that... I have plaques & other acknowledgements from work that are honestly, in a box in my basement.. Lol!
But, it made me feel a little bad as I don't do that for my children. I keep a few things out they have done & have a few "prize" drawings of theirs' on the fridge. We did have one of their oil paintings they did in school, framed, but that is pretty much it.
I keep a lot of their things in a file I have, but I do not display them all over the house.
I wonder if having them out, all over, for everyone to see & comment on, encourages them more...

Do you display everything ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 PM

16,001 posts, read 21,016,465 times
We had a large binder (full of page protectors) for each child's work, a photo album would probably work just as well. That way they aren't really 'stored away' but they don't take over the entire house either.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,740,903 times
I frame a very select couple of "artworks" from each of my kids that appeal to MY taste.

Everything that comes home (except worksheets) I keep on a shelf for a month. Every month I keep the "best" stuff and throw the rest away. That way if they suddenly want that picture they drew, it's not trashed already.

We do hang certain things on the fridge, but they get rotated out.

I also keep the binder like Dubble T mentioned with meaningful items.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:57 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,795,956 times
I have my kids' artwork and my arts and crafts displayed around the house. The picture hanging over my couch is one that my daughter painted, and my other daughter's oil pastel sketch of a feather is hanging on the other living room wall.

I don't really do it to encourage them, I just like the decorations we display to have meaning to us rather than just something that brings out the color in the couch or goes with the fake flower arrangement.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:17 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,219,898 times
I keep a little bit but I use the "sign the back and mail 'em to grandma!" trick

Old 07-09-2013, 05:04 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,771,543 times
Everything gets put into a bin in the closet or what my mother would have called a "memory box"

Old 07-09-2013, 07:18 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,703,391 times
I'll admit it, I'm a tosser. When they were smaller, I'd put some of their drawings on the fridge, but really, I don't want glitter art hanging all over the walls. Some of the nicer things, I'll keep in a binder, but the majority sit around for a few days, then I'll say, "what should we do with these?" Most of the time, they're happy to throw them away. When they were little, they were more interested in the process than the product. Now my son will keep his drawings in a notebook or sketch pad, and my daughter will still make collages and paintings that sometimes go on the fridge, but more often she gives them to friends or throws them away.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,533,401 times
Meh, I think this is definitely a do what works for you parenting issue.

My son would chuck his own art projects in the recycling, they're just not important to him. My daughter puts all her artwork up in the kitchen. I think it's sweet she's so proud of her work. People are free to comment on it or not. I think people in my home know me well enough that the stuff is not displayed to generate gratuitous praise.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,595,687 times
My middle daughter who is the most artistic and creates beautiful works of art with just about any medium hates to see her creations displayed much less admired.

The other two kids we'll call "the stick figure queens" had their stuff plastered everywhere.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 AM

861 posts, read 2,712,999 times
Our fridge is not magnetic and that's the only place I'd ever really consider hanging kid art.
I snap pictures of stuff and keep it in an app on my phone for now (there's quite a few: Storing kids' artwork? There's an app or two for that. at Cool Mom Tech ) I think the one I have is just called KidArt.
But as he gets older I'm going to have him help pick pieces he like, and we'll snap pic of those to make shutterfly books with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting