Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 02:57 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times

Advertisements

That is a good point kibbiekat - while I did one on one it was always in an open area like the library, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 03:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Around here parents who can volunteer during school hours might chaperone on field trips. They are not typically allowed to volunteer beyond that in their own child's classroom. They must pay for and pass the same background check as any school employee (and I think that is a vitally important item all schools should do).

There were more outside of school hours volunteer thing. Fairs, dinners, auctions, extracurricular events, etc.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
It's been quite some time since my kids were little but I volunteered throught their elementary school years. During the day, in the school doing everything from chaperoning field trips to planning year end field days, assisting in small group activities and stuffing "Thursday folders" that went home with each child every week. We did not do background checks then and I have no idea whether they do them now. Since I wasn't ever with kids on a 1-1 basis I don't think it was a big deal and I doubt I'd have a concern about that if I had a current elem school student. I do remember at one time having to sign something regarding privacy in the event I might inadvertently see or become aware of a grade or incident. I know our schools benefit greatly from having a large base from which to draw volunteers, which frees up time for the teacher to focus on teaching rather than some of the other minutia which can be so time consuming. When the kids were older (high school) volunteering obviously wasn't in the classroom but more in the form of booster club or prom committe or the occasional field trip or groundwork for arranging speakers etc.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,530 times
I think it depends on the economic status of the school. I've volunteered at my kids' school - public elementary - but not so much at the middle school. When the younger is out of elementary I'll have time to do MS/HS (they want after hours volunteers and our schedule doesn't permit it right now) - I know I'll be a band booster in HS when the time comes). Currently I volunteer in the cafeteria and library and as a team manager for destination imagination. I've run the book fair before. I've also helped in the classroom. I much prefer interacting with the kids; I'm not much on workroom copying, etc.

We have background checks. Even if parent volunteers are not 'allowed' alone with kids, I feel more comfortable with checks.

On holiday parties, graduations and other special events there is no available parking because of all the parents; many of the families have both parents at the school.

I've worked in districts that had little or no parent participation. That is much worse.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I have volunteered since my kids were in kindergarten. Class mother, PTO positions, library, fund raising, etc. Once they reached high school the volunteering was much less classroom oriented, and much more sports support.

Even working parents have been heavily involved in the various districts we've lived in. I only see it as a positive.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:50 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
To volunteer at the charter school my kids will be attending, all parents have to have a background check. It's called PALS, I think? I'm not sure what it entails; I have the form here somewhere but haven't really looked at it yet. I'll get to it before school starts. I'll probably volunteer in some aspect. The kids are in the 5th and 7th grades, though, so I guess they probably don't need classroom volunteers at that point? I don't really know, to be honest.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:05 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I'm sure everyone is also running background checks on their neighbors and babysitters (even teens) and relatives who have significantly more time around your children than a volunteer stuffing envelopes and grading papers while your child is at lunch or on the playground or sitting with 4 other kids and you are supervising scissor work. Right?

I mean, I understand the schools need to protect themselves (which is the point of the background check) but I also think it can go overboard. JMHO though.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:54 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I'm sure everyone is also running background checks on their neighbors and babysitters (even teens) and relatives who have significantly more time around your children than a volunteer stuffing envelopes and grading papers while your child is at lunch or on the playground or sitting with 4 other kids and you are supervising scissor work. Right?

I mean, I understand the schools need to protect themselves (which is the point of the background check) but I also think it can go overboard. JMHO though.
I understand your point, but would like to point out that you over simplifying what volunteers sometimes do at schools. In all the years I helped at our school, I spent hours upon hours with the children. I was not in an empty classroom grading papers or exiled to the copy machine room while class was in session. Even with 4 other kids there...would you really want someone with a record supervising them?

I would like to think that it is the school protecting the children...and not necessarily themselves when they run background checks.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:29 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
I live in a fairly affluent, upper class development and I would say we have a fair amount of parent volunteers. I am active in their school and chair a committee w/the PTA.
I will say, it is the same people over & over again, not many new faces.
We just redistricted and there are many new families now, a bit of. Varying demographics, but for the most part, I think we have a great % of parent involvement.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:49 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I live in a fairly affluent, upper class development and I would say we have a fair amount of parent volunteers. I am active in their school and chair a committee w/the PTA.
I will say, it is the same people over & over again, not many new faces.
We just redistricted and there are many new families now, a bit of. Varying demographics, but for the most part, I think we have a great % of parent involvement.
I hear ya on the same people over and over. It's that way in our school too. But without the wonderful people who commit their time, due to the budget cuts in our district, our school would do very poorly indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting