Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,719,651 times

Advertisements

No, I ask that they listen. Saluting is not a requirement for that.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

Ultimately, there are many ways to convey respect (and disrespect). Words and phrases mean different things in different parts of the country. Getting offended and judgemental over colloquialisms is a silly waste of time in my opinion. But if that's all people can find to get bent out of shape about....well .... bless their heart.
Amen! LOL!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
When I said service people are trained to use sir and ma'am like the poster said. I meant their job has trained them, not their parents. Wish I had made that clear. The service manager knows sir and ma'am show respect and politeness and people respond positively. It's a fact.
People who work at Chick fil A are trained never to say "no Problem" when they are thanked but rather to say "My Pleasure". It has caught on all over. They also are trained to use sir and ma'am. They are based in Atlanta.

Also I said I wondered if there was a correlation between sir and ma'am folks and parents who let their kids know who is in charge. I made no statement whatsoever about lack of sir and ma'am meaning parents who don't teach respect or let their kids rule the roost.

. I have always lived in area where lots of transplants from all over the country-indeed the world- live and I never assumed people who did not say sir and ma'am were poorly trained. I simply said that is how i was raised and that is how I am raising my own children. My neighbors are from Long Island and I doubt anybody in that family has ever uttered sir or ma'am in their lives yet they are the dearest kindest folks ever and their children have impeccable manners.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 AM

41 posts, read 88,892 times
I'm 22 and my Dad and I call each other Sir. Kinda strange now that I think on it. It doesn't help though that we are both veterans and from Mississippi. 😛

Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,824 times
I don't make them say ma'am or sir to me but when I introduce people I do say this is Miss so and so or Mr. so and so and have her refer to them as that for at least the first meeting. After that if they decided they don't need the Miss or Mr. added then can tell her to stop.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Just this morning I was watching a TIV'd episode of Pioneer Woman with Ree Drummond. At the grocery store her two sons couldn't reach something and one said "Hey Mister, could you reach that thyme for me?" I cringed and I'm surprised as they are from Oklahoma and those kids seem pretty well mannered. Oh well...

Old 07-26-2013, 09:54 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Just this morning I was watching a TIV'd episode of Pioneer Woman with Ree Drummond. At the grocery store her two sons couldn't reach something and one said "Hey Mister, could you reach that thyme for me?" I cringed and I'm surprised as they are from Oklahoma and those kids seem pretty well mannered. Oh well...
What about that made you cringe? Other than not saying Please I see nothing wrong with a child saying that to an adult. It's his regional dialect.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Quote:
Oh no!! Well, now you know that they are actually manner-lacking heathens!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:14 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What about that made you cringe? Other than not saying Please I see nothing wrong with a child saying that to an adult. It's his regional dialect.

At least they didn't say, "Hey YOU? Hand me that thyme." The thing that would have made me cringe, would have been the child's failure to say please and thank you.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Quote:
I don't see whats wrong with that apart from the lack of 'please' but then again saying 'could you' rather than demanding makes it polite enough in my opinion (it would be how it would be said in Finnish as we have no word for 'please')
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting