Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Is there no middle ground?
Seriously every question I asked the kid he followed up with a ma'am.

I'm not a ma'am. I'm 23, not someone's grandmother.

My point being, I wasn't much older than the kid and it was annoying, I don't ma'am people my own age.
It is customary in the area you chose to move to. Get over it.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It is customary in the area you chose to move to. Get over it.
Yeah, it's not meant to be an insult. The intent is respect.

Just because YOU associate it with grandmas doesn't mean everyone else does.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:40 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
Most people here use Miss or Mrs. to address a woman, not ma'am. Ma'am is isn't necessarily an insult but it is associated with advanced age. Sir is used but mainly in customer service or when addressing someone in a position of authority. My son will learn the norms for this area.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:45 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:

My point being, I wasn't much older than the kid and it was annoying, I don't ma'am people my own age.
Sheesh, this one is easy. Call him sir.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:08 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm curious what culture it is where calling a woman ma'am is considered rude?

I also remember being taught never to refer to anybody as a man or woman but to use the words gentleman and lady. different strokes....
Out here many women will get very offended if called ma'am because they think it means "old lady."

Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:

But if you have moved to an area where it is common you can't expect people to change their customs to suit you.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:34 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times
Quote:

I "Ma'am" 23 year olds and 18 year olds and 77 year olds, and I am 54. It ISN'T about age, but respecting someone.

I think that "Ma'am" IS the middle ground in manners.

ma'am - definition of ma'am by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Used as a form of polite address for a woman.

Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary
US — used to politely speak to a woman who you do not know

ma'am - definition. American English definition of ma'am by Macmillan Dictionary
AMERICAN used for talking politely to a woman whose name you do not know

Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
I "Ma'am" 23 year olds and 18 year olds and 77 year olds, and I am 54. It ISN'T about age, but respecting someone.

I think that "Ma'am" IS the middle ground in manners.
Perhaps where you live, but certainly not everywhere. In many parts of the country, one can be considered good mannered and respectful even without using ma'am or sir.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
For me, the best approach is to model manners that are pertinent to the given situation.

I don't call ladies of a certain age in Hollywood who've obviously had work done in an effort to hold on to their youth m'am. I do say "excuse me Sir" when asking directions of the be hatted and well dressed elderly gentleman from the neighborhood in Philly.

I call my kid's teachers Ms or Mr or Coach in front of my kid even after I know them well enough to use their first names. Most of my friends are perfectly happy with first names for my child, but our 95 year old neighbor is always Miss Renee (at our insistence, not hers).

If you want to be polite, and we do, then I reckon you've really got to adjust your manners to your environment. One size does not fit all. But it does take awareness of your surroundings, and the willingness to not be stubborn.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,004 times
Rather than being offended by being called something that makes you feel old, you can take a different tact.

These could work so long as they are said with a smile!

"My Dad is a sir, call me Bob"

"Save the ma'am for when my hair turns blue, you can call me Miss Russell"

It could work....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting