Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aecx2 View Post
totally agree w/ this. I occasionally shower w/ my daughters (i'm the mom) and they are not toddlers. They both have super long hair which is a chore to shampoo/condition and if we all have been swimming, etc it's so much easier all together. (i have a very large shower so that makes it more feasible than if we just had a small tub shower).

My daughters are comfortable seeing me and have an understanding of how their bodies will mature in a few years. I think it's a much better alternative to my mother's approach of body "shame" in all things.

It's inappropriate w/ the parent of opposite sex after babyhood, but for same sex parent/children, it's really not that big of a deal unless the parent is uptight about it.
+1

Old 07-25-2013, 07:44 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
There have been a few questions raised about the specifcs and the difference those would make. His kids are around 3 or 4. I know that the mother generally bathes them so I think the shower is a time saving strategy or maybe just easier for him when it's his task. I'm not sure of the specific arrangement for when he finishes bathing them and they get out, but they're pretty careful parents, so I'm sure the mother is there.

I can't even figure out why this is a concern??

Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,348 times
No - do not bath with the daughters with or without swim trunks. If there is no alternative available, keep the daughters in the tub, pull up a chair or stool for yourself, fully clothed, outside of the tub.
If you fail to do this your actions will be questioned should your daughter every participate in counseling. She will be made to feel that your actions were incorrect. No there is nothing wrong with nudity or family nudity or the bath time. It is just that such is viewed as a red flag by those in the business.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Really? A 5 year old bathe him/her self? LOL. Apparently you don't have kids. Kids would never be probably clean, but I guarantee you the bathroom floors would be. My son is 6 and I still give him showers because I would rather he be cleaned properly.

And he has seen me naked, multiple times. No big deal. Why are people ashamed of their bodies??
You'd be correct by assuming that I don't have kids. I never said parents can't be in the room supervising the child while he bathes himself, but I think they need to learn how to aswell.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:46 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Moderator Cut. Very Victorian in nature to the point where evil thoughts enter into the innocence of natural health secure loving families. When my youngest son was an infant ...I would put him down by my feet in the bath tub and we would bath- relax and talk...it's normal...When I was a kid on a hot summer night - the whole family - my father- mother and all the kids would sneak out nude in the dark - jump in the boat and to out into the middle of the lake to cool off- It was wonderful - as for bathing with daughters..let the mother bath with them when they are young- when they are very young there is nothing wrong with the father bathing with his children...BUT - it gets to the age of modesty where privacy is to be respected...once they are over three - Dad should let the kids have their privacy.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-26-2013 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: Unnecessary comment

Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
I shower with my 5 year old boys everyday because it's so much quicker than doing them in a tub and straining my back (or my wife's back) and then spend more time doing ourselves later. I don't make a big deal of it and haven't felt weird about it. If they were girls I'd definitely do trunks. My wife refuses to go in the shower with them which is understandable.

My boys are about capable of doing everything themselves although they will undoubtedly just monkey around in there. I have a hard enough time getting them to change clothes without raising my voice or repeating myself. I may just do what I've been doing for another year+. We get to talk about silly stuff and they tend to pay attention and answer questions then. If it were girls, I'd be more inclined to train them to be self-sufficient sooner. Or maybe mom wouldn't mind doing them.

EDIT>> I just asked her, and she hesitated then said I guess so. I'd have such a different life if I had 2 girls instead.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:09 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times
I'm in agreement with others who don't see this as an issue/problem. He's their father. He shouldn't be seen as "guilty" simply because he is male and his children are female.

When you think about it, he is the first man they will learn to trust and love. So, showering with his daughters is a form of affection and caring in a non-abusive, non-perverted manner. They should feel safe with him, even when he is naked. If it's just a nudity thing then it's being blown way out of proportion, IMO.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aecx2 View Post
Totally agree w/ this. I occasionally shower w/ my daughters (I'm the mom) and they are not toddlers. They both have super long hair which is a chore to shampoo/condition and if we all have been swimming, etc it's so much easier all together. (I have a very large shower so that makes it more feasible than if we just had a small tub shower).

My daughters are comfortable seeing me and have an understanding of how their bodies will mature in a few years. I think it's a much better alternative to my mother's approach of body "shame" in all things.

It's inappropriate w/ the parent of opposite sex after babyhood, but for same sex parent/children, it's really not that big of a deal unless the parent is uptight about it.
Why is it inappropriate after babyhood? Its a fair few years before children start to naturally feel the need for privacy so there is no reason why it would be inappropriate until then. My OH's little sister is 5, she is not bothered by it yet (still goes to sauna with her dad and occasionally with me and OH)

Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
My kids are in their 20s now, but we showered with the kids when they were preschool age. Easier to wash their hair if you are in there with them.

I had three little ones and I used to daydream about a big walk in shower that the five of us would fit in easily, with shower heads on every wall. Would have made shower time so easy for all of us and we could all do it at once.

We also used to give baths in the kitchen sink, one kid at a time. One of us would wash their hair and bathe them; the other would be waiting with a towel and would dry them off, dress them, comb hair and brush teeth.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:28 AM

329 posts, read 460,491 times
oh my god... devil is in your house, I m sure it s smelling sulfur...

put onion on your door... and call a bishop to remove bad spirit....

a father taking a bath with girls., horrible. .. by the way close all public swimming pools all around the world as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting