Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,042 times

Advertisements

My daughter is going to be 9 in December. She is a beautiful blonde haired, blue eyed girl. She has already started getting a pimple here, and a pimple there. Moderator Cut.

Should I get my daughter's hormone levels checked by her Pediatrician? How old were you or your daughter's when they hit puberty?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Jaded; 07-29-2013 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: TMI; edited to allow for forum posting. DM me with questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 04:54 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,183 times
Puberty is starting younger... my 2 DD were 10 and 12...

It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask her doctor about it, but I know kids who started younger then mine. It's becoming more common.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
yes it is happening younger but just getting a pimple is not necessarily a sign of puberty. Does she have breast buds or hips? I would be afraid taking her to the doctor to have a blood test would be like telling her there is something wrong with going through puberty and you certainly don't want to give her that idea. it will come soon enough and frankly there isn't too much you can do about it except be sure she knows all about how her body works and how to keep it clean.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
I started developing at 9, started menstruating at 10. That was in 1959/1960. I was just on one end of the bell curve. There was one other girl in my class that I believe did the same, though it was something we didn't talk about. My mother just explained to me what was happening, just as if I'd been older, and I dealt with it more or less okay. There's always been a range of "normal" time to start puberty.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:51 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
My daughter is going to be 9 in December. She is a beautiful blonde haired, blue eyed girl. She has already started getting a pimple here, and a pimple there. Moderator Cut.

Should I get my daughter's hormone levels checked by her Pediatrician? How old were you or your daughter's when they hit puberty?

Thanks!!
My dd was 7 when she asked me what the new "bones" were under her nipples. She was starting to develop breasts. What her pediatrician did is monitor her growth. They measured her upper leg bones and kept a close tab on how fast they were growing. He explained that starting puberty so young can result in a girl being very short as an adult because once they hit that final growth spurt of puberty, they're done growing.

Fortunately, for our dd, the process was slow. She started her period at 11 (normal is to start two years after the onset of puberty) and is 5'9".

You need to talk to her pediatrician.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Here is a puberty timeline for girls. Periods usually start 12 to 24 months after the development of breast buds.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
because once they hit that final growth spurt of puberty, they're done growing.

Fortunately, for our dd, the process was slow. She started her period at 11 (normal is to start two years after the onset of puberty) and is 5'9".

You need to talk to her pediatrician.
Interesting but not always true. I started periods at 12, had my tonsils out at 17 and grew 1.5 inches the next year to a final height of 5"10". I've heard of others who grew taller after having tonsils out in their teens. Probably only a coincidence but still it happens.
I know too early puberty can be problematic and I'm sure her doctor will make a note of it and follow her growth. My only concern was with taking blood at such a young age to measure hormones. I don't know any other way. I'm sure she is fine but if you are worried a doctor visit or call would give you some peace of mind.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
yes it is happening younger but just getting a pimple is not necessarily a sign of puberty. Does she have breast buds or hips? I would be afraid taking her to the doctor to have a blood test would be like telling her there is something wrong with going through puberty and you certainly don't want to give her that idea. it will come soon enough and frankly there isn't too much you can do about it except be sure she knows all about how her body works and how to keep it clean.
You don't take your kid to the doctor for blood tests, you take her to get an evaluation. If the dr. thinks the blood tests are necessary s/he will order them. It's putting the cart before the horse to "take her in for a blood test". Depending on the doc's findings, the blood tests may or may not happen. I would most certainly take my kid to the dr if I suspected early puberty, or at least discuss it at the next well visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I started developing at 9, started menstruating at 10. That was in 1959/1960. I was just on one end of the bell curve. There was one other girl in my class that I believe did the same, though it was something we didn't talk about. My mother just explained to me what was happening, just as if I'd been older, and I dealt with it more or less okay. There's always been a range of "normal" time to start puberty.
Yes, and there is research to show that the average age of mensuration hasn't changed in about 50 years, despite what one sees in the media.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
My DD just turned ten and has a few pimples along with breast buds. No other outward signs of puberty at this point, though. She's small... she goes for a well visit next month, but at her 9 year old well visit, she was 4 feet tall and almost 60 lbs, if I remember correctly. Now she's about 4'2" and I don't know how much she weighs. I was also really little until I was about 13, and I started my period the same year. I don't remember when I started with breast buds, though. I hope she doesn't get her period for another couple of years, but what can you do, really, right?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
My oldest needed deodorant when she was 7, wanted bras when she was 9, needed to shave before going swimming when she was ten, and started her period right after she turned 11 this year. She's big for her age though, already 5'2" and 110 lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting