Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:00 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,801,420 times

Advertisements

My kids are both doing online school this year. Their textbooks arrived a couple of weeks ago, and we put them on their shelves in our classroom (formerly the dining room ) Nobody has to have new shoes or clothes specifically for school, but I did have to buy 5 pairs of jeans for my oldest because she lost weight and her other jeans were too big. I also need to put microsoft Office on their school computer.

I have a list of supplies that we need, but I just look at the science labs and art lessons for the week and get the extra stuff as I need it, rather than having to buy a bunch at once. We have things like construction paper, paint and art supplies already, mostly what we'll need are a few odd things for science labs.

We're planning to have "manners day" once a week when both of the girls wear nice clothes and are on their best behavior all day. We're also not planning to start school until 9 am every day...we'll get up at 7, eat breakfast and then exercise (bike ride, hula hooping and weight machine, or yoga on days when the weather isn't great) before school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 06:20 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,926,720 times
Interesting. How old are your kids? Is online school the same as homeschooling?

Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,914,833 times
My daughter is in year-round school, so she started a few weeks ago already. We got the supply list from the teacher about a week before school started. I also got her a new backpack, but not a new lunchbox. She did get new shoes, and I just got her a stack of "new" clothes from the Kids Exchange consignment sale this past weekend.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:07 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,035,259 times
Got a nice bottle of Southern Comfort tucked away for just the moment that the little yellow bus pulls away.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee.................................. ...

Old 08-02-2013, 08:47 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,801,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Interesting. How old are your kids? Is online school the same as homeschooling?
It varies by state...for us, online school is done at home through a public school. Every day, the kids log on to the school website and the day's lessons are listed in their planner. The lessons are a combination of reading from textbooks, watching videos, and doing assignments. I read with them and check their assignments. Several times a week, they have lessons with a teacher on a webcam. They also have online tests and quizzes. They take the statewide standardized tests also...our school provides testing locations all over the state, and we pick the one that's most convenient to us. They can take electives, including languages. The PE requirement is 30 minutes a day of physical activity. The school provides the yoga dvds, and jump ropes. They also provide all the books and workbooks, some of the art and science things we need, stuff like that. The most major things I bought last year for school were a globe and a microscope, but those weren't mandatory or even suggested by the school, just things that we wanted and which seemed like they would be helpful to us.

My kids are in 3rd and 6th grade this year. TX doesn't allow online public school until 3rd grade, so last year I just had my older daughter at home. It's like homeschool in the sense that I can pick what hours and days we do, but it's not like regular homeschool in that the curriculum is chosen for us, we still have to take the state tests, and they've got to log at least 25 hours of attendence per week.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:13 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,565,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It varies by state...for us, online school is done at home through a public school. Every day, the kids log on to the school website and the day's lessons are listed in their planner. The lessons are a combination of reading from textbooks, watching videos, and doing assignments. I read with them and check their assignments. Several times a week, they have lessons with a teacher on a webcam. They also have online tests and quizzes. They take the statewide standardized tests also...our school provides testing locations all over the state, and we pick the one that's most convenient to us. They can take electives, including languages. The PE requirement is 30 minutes a day of physical activity. The school provides the yoga dvds, and jump ropes. They also provide all the books and workbooks, some of the art and science things we need, stuff like that. The most major things I bought last year for school were a globe and a microscope, but those weren't mandatory or even suggested by the school, just things that we wanted and which seemed like they would be helpful to us.

My kids are in 3rd and 6th grade this year. TX doesn't allow online public school until 3rd grade, so last year I just had my older daughter at home. It's like homeschool in the sense that I can pick what hours and days we do, but it's not like regular homeschool in that the curriculum is chosen for us, we still have to take the state tests, and they've got to log at least 25 hours of attendence per week.

Why did you choose online school for your children rather than traditional school?

Old 08-02-2013, 01:58 PM

15,705 posts, read 9,468,587 times
When I worked weekends and had two days off during the week, I would count down the days until school started again.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,926,720 times
At our house, on the first day of school, I always lead a chorus of

This is the Day..
This is the Day...
This is the Day that the Lord Has Made

The children fail to see the humor!

Old 08-02-2013, 02:38 PM

2,714 posts, read 5,348,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Why did you choose online school for your children rather than traditional school?
Because it works best for her family?

Old 08-02-2013, 03:05 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,565,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Because it works best for her family?

But "what" makes it work best is what I'm asking. I'm just curious. I'm familiar with friends that homeschool, but online school is a new concept to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting