Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,871,772 times

Advertisements

Read that Bush found his heart problem during his annual physical and had surgery the next day. I think physicals for adults are essential but I still think if your child is healthy, functioning and growing and getting regular dental care as well as eyes checked yearly and up to date on shots, annuals are not needed. This means a responsible parent would not hesitate to seek medical care for any problem and not let it ride. All our kids saw doctor regular for well baby checks and shots till they got in school. Then it was when they got sick. Seems some agree and some don't. That's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 AM

340 posts, read 521,668 times
Every year until toddler-hood. After that, when/if they needed it.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:14 PM

741 posts, read 1,284,408 times
Yes, my spine had developed a curvature and I had no pain or issues, I was running around playing like a normal 6 year old not analyzing every twinge or tightness. So yes, the exam picked up on it when they noticed my shoulder blades had become uneven.
Regarding embarrassing stuff, I'm happy to talk about it, I don't find it embarrassing at all even. But just thinking back on my teen days, there was some stuff I wanted to ask a nurse about and not a parent. That's all I'm saying. Having a nurse or doctor in your life on a regular basis is another safe sounding board and resource for kids.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,871,772 times
I understand the concern about back issues. I check the girls frequently for higher shoulder issues. Funny when DD got her long-delayed physical this week the doc did not check her back!! But DD and DH liked the doc very much and feel comfortable with her. I forgot she had been seen in that clinic about 2 years ago when she had little white places on her skin (face only). I think I even started a thread about it then.

But regarding kids as teens talking to a doc about embarrassing things...today I bet most kids would google something before they would ever talk to doc or nurse. Wish there had been the internet when I was growing up. I got so much wrong info from friends and horrible experiences.

In junior high I was with a girlfriend in a public bathroom where I saw Suzy is a W.H.O.R.E. written on the wall. I asked my friend what was a W.H.O.R.E? She told me it was a woman who sold her body. Wow, I wondered---why would anybody want to buy a body? What can you do with an extra body? (same way I wondered why anybody would want to sell only their garage--as in Garage Sale!)

Old 08-07-2013, 12:53 PM

158 posts, read 209,963 times
He only went as a baby and now to get vaccines. Otherwise he doesn't go anymore apart from the dentist, which I'm adamant for.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:02 PM

741 posts, read 1,284,408 times
no kudzo, you are probably right, I probably would have googled as well!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:21 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,523,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
But regarding kids as teens talking to a doc about embarrassing things...today I bet most kids would google something before they would ever talk to doc or nurse. Wish there had been the internet when I was growing up. I got so much wrong info from friends and horrible experiences.
And many people get "wrong" information from Google too. If people are in the habit of speaking to their health care provider or parent about sensitive information there is no need for DIY health care.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:56 AM

26,635 posts, read 26,559,630 times
Every year until they turned 22, and were no longer under a pediatrician's care. Then they were on their own.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:26 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,844,561 times
I'm still taking my 17 and 11 year old kids annually.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,947,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Every year until they turned 22, and were no longer under a pediatrician's care. Then they were on their own.
They were still going to the pediatrician up until 22? Is that a normal age? I remember my mom being told (in a very nice way) that I was getting too old to still be seeing a pediatrician when I was 16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting