Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM

324 posts, read 655,173 times

Advertisements

my friend has a 3 month old adorable baby girl. She ended up getting meningitis and was hospitalized for 3 weeks, she almost died. She was released a week ago yet the Mother is taking that kid to the beach, restaurants etc...

maybe I am over protective, but wouldn't it be wise to keep the baby in for a couple weeks to fully recover? Seems like ever since she had this baby, she has taken it all over the state, the baby never stays home. People have even offered to watch her but she takes the baby out anyway.

What is the appropriate time frame for something like this? I would think even adults would be cautious going out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Meningitis - recovery - Everybody - Health Information for New Zealanders

Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post

What is the appropriate time frame for something like this? I would think even adults would be cautious going out.
I would think whatever the doctors were ok with. Or, are you insinuating she is ignoring the doctor's recommendations?

I don't think kids need to be kept in germ free bubbles, but I always followed medical advice from our pediatricians.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I would think whatever the doctors were ok with. Or, are you insinuating she is ignoring the doctor's recommendations?

I don't think kids need to be kept in germ free bubbles, but I always followed medical advice from our pediatricians.
I agree, the doctor should be consulted. In general, it's good to avoid crowds with small infants, until they get their immunizations going and have some immunity.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
my friend has a 3 month old adorable baby girl. She ended up getting meningitis and was hospitalized for 3 weeks, she almost died. She was released a week ago yet the Mother is taking that kid to the beach, restaurants etc...

maybe I am over protective, but wouldn't it be wise to keep the baby in for a couple weeks to fully recover? Seems like ever since she had this baby, she has taken it all over the state, the baby never stays home. People have even offered to watch her but she takes the baby out anyway.

My son had a central nervous system infection when he was 17. He got out of the hospital on a Monday. He was instructed by the doctors to return to school on Tuesday as long as he was feeling up to it. I was told that he should resume as much of his normal activity as possible. In short, I doubt that your friend was told to keep her child away from civilization.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree, the doctor should be consulted. In general, it's good to avoid crowds with small infants, until they get their immunizations going and have some immunity.
I was thinking the same thing. My son had RSV a few weeks before Thanksgiving (and was in the hospital). We decided on no Thanksgiving/Christmas travel (Born in September).

I would think its best to allow their little immune systems to build up, before going to crazy. having another infection ontop of recovering from RSV, . . .sometimes kids don't get better.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
+1

Some people are so busy showing off their babies that they expose them to all sorts of things that might be bit much for their bodies. The only time my baby went out his first year was when I HAD to take him to a doctor's office. And I stopped everyone at the door. People knew not to come to my house if they were sick or had a problem with washing their hands before they grabbed for my child. I also didn't let him around other kids that went to daycare precisely bc I didn't want the RSV issue as it is nothing to play with and kids who went to daycare seemed to always be sick.

Some people. The OP's story reminds me of the time I was in one of the most heavily used mall in Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon no less and I saw a silly young lady come walking past me with an OBVIOUS NEWBORN on her shoulder...exposed for whoever wanted to cough on the poor child, sneeze, whatever. Did I mention it was a heavily frequented mall on a Saturday afternoon. I could barely move their were so many people there. The child could not have even been two weeks old. Some people don't need kids. They are so busy trying to dress them up and show them off that they lose sight of the fact that the kids don't have the immune system for all of that. Or, they are so busy trying to run the streets that they can't be bothered to sit home with their children. If you are that immature, don't have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I was thinking the same thing. My son had RSV a few weeks before Thanksgiving (and was in the hospital). We decided on no Thanksgiving/Christmas travel (Born in September).

I would think its best to allow their little immune systems to build up, before going to crazy. having another infection ontop of recovering from RSV, . . .sometimes kids don't get better.

Last edited by LovelySummer; 08-29-2013 at 07:49 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
+1

Some people are so busy showing off their babies that they expose them to all sorts of things that might be bit much for their bodies. The only time my baby went out his first year was when I HAD to take him to a doctor's office. And I stopped everyone at the door. People knew not to come to my house if they were sick or had a problem with washing their hands before they grabbed for my child. I also didn't let him around other kids that went to daycare precisely bc I didn't want the RSV issue as it is nothing to play with and kids who went to daycare seemed to always be sick.

Some people. The OP's story reminds me of the time I was in one of the most heavily used mall in Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon no less and I saw a silly young lady come walking past me with an OBVIOUS NEWBORN on her shoulder...exposed for whoever wanted to cough on the poor child, sneeze, whatever. Did I mention it was a heavily frequented mall on a Saturday afternoon. I could barely move their were so many people there. The child could not have even been two weeks old. Some people don't need kids. They are so busy trying to dress them up and show them off that they lose sight of the fact that the kids don't have the immune system for all of that. Or, they are so busy trying to run the streets that they can't be bothered to sit home with their children. If you are that immature, don't have them.
This. Never understood how people aren't afraid to take week-old newborns to crowded places like a mall during flu season! Don't they get that what may just be a cold or flu for an adult can be FATAL for an infant?? After they are a few weeks old it's good and necessary to take babies outside to be in the fresh air, but no baby NEEDS to be in a freaking mall or supermarket! I don't mean running in to grab a loaf of bread, I mean strolling around in Christmas crowds. Sheesh.
The first time I took my son inside the mall, he was a month old, I was desperate for a change of scenery, lol, but I went on a weekday morning, had him in a stroller covered up with a blanket, literally ran in, grabbed a coffee and ran back out, careful to keep a distance from people. I was too nervous, and it occurred to me how horrible I would feel if he got sick because I couldn't keep away from the mall. I know you can't protect them from everything, especially if you have older kids etc, but my motto is to minimize the risk whenever possible - only risk it for necessary reasons, not frivolous ones.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 PM

501 posts, read 933,194 times
I don't agree with the previous two posts. We took our kid to daycare at six weeks old, and she went everywhere with us (shopping, etc) when we had her at home.

Yes, she was sick a lot. But she built up a great immunity and rarely gets sick now. The sickness she had barely bothered her, and she didn't usually notice much. The ones that got hit hard were us (mom and dad).

I've heard from numerous people (and doctors) that kids do build up their immunity by being exposed to a lot. They say that whenever your kid goes to a group setting, like a mall, they'll get sick a lot in the beginning. We think it was better that our kid got sick young rather than when she was first enrolled in kindergarten.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:00 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I don't agree with the previous two posts. We took our kid to daycare at six weeks old, and she went everywhere with us (shopping, etc) when we had her at home.

Yes, she was sick a lot. But she built up a great immunity and rarely gets sick now. The sickness she had barely bothered her, and she didn't usually notice much. The ones that got hit hard were us (mom and dad).
Then count your blessings because you were lucky that her illnesses were mild. It's luck of the draw, not a factor of you taking her out. There are regular colds, and then there are serious illnesses which can be lethal for an infant - starting with the flu and RSV to chickenpox (dangerous for infants) to MRSA and even TB.

Quote:
I've heard from numerous people (and doctors) that kids do build up their immunity by being exposed to a lot. They say that whenever your kid goes to a group setting, like a mall, they'll get sick a lot in the beginning. We think it was better that our kid got sick young rather than when she was first enrolled in kindergarten.
Umm, no. Google medical statistics. It far, far less dangerous for a school-age child to be ill with a run-of-the-mill virus than it is for an infant, and the younger they are, the more risky it is. Majority of life-threatening complications and deaths from common respiratory viruses occur in infants under two years old; under three months old it's especially critical. The have almost no immunity, their lungs are not matured yet, their respiratory systems aren't fully developed, it's obvious that they're so much more prone to complications, and serious ones at that.

Personally, I don't get it. If you want to endanger your child for no good reason, that's your choice. I'd rather err on the side of caution with health where I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting