Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 PM

501 posts, read 933,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The concern about the milk is that milk is $5 a gallon.
Why is your milk $5 a gallon? Do you buy special milk? Ours in my part of the country (which is not cheap) is about $3 a gallon.

Quote:
she is not even close to being fat but with all this milk drinking, I'm sure it's going to catch up with her)
The milk isn't nearly as fattening as the beer she'll drink in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
They all go through that phase...Tell her quietly that her behavior is effecting your health. Reason with her. In the old days it would just be the kid watching TV - remember in this modern era you are not dealing with just your kid but with a score of night owls who are all on line together. Welcome to the digital world where some other kid can keep your kid up via remote control.

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Earplugs.

/thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
You've got a 15-year-old who does everything right but wanders your apartment at night (rather than sneaking out) - cherish that. Seriously. She's not going to set the place on fire. I'm going to suggest you make a compromise or two - as in, you work on your anxiety and she keeps it down a bit more.

Buy nonfat milk. Tell her when it runs out for the week, that's it. But she can drink all the water she wants (buy a Brita if your local water doesn't taste good).

Get earplugs - they really do work. And a cheap fire alarm that is close to the stove if you're really freaking out.

I have a lot of friends who are night owls. It's just how their internal clock works. In fact, the same anxiety you're exhibiting, could be what's making her wander the apartment at night.

You need to relax. She needs to be quieter. Work on a solution based on that.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:05 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Do you sleep with your door shut?

No. I can't sleep in a bedroom with the door closed. It gets too stuffy, even with the windows open. I have to have the door open

Old 08-01-2013, 11:10 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Why is your milk $5 a gallon? Do you buy special milk? Ours in my part of the country (which is not cheap) is about $3 a gallon.

The milk isn't nearly as fattening as the beer she'll drink in college.

It's actually $4.57 a gallon and the price is set to go up soon. No special milk; just regular 2% milk

Old 08-01-2013, 11:11 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
No. I can't sleep in a bedroom with the door closed. It gets too stuffy, even with the windows open. I have to have the door open
Maybe get a small fan to move the air, and it would block some of the noise.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
My daughter is almost 15. She is a good kid in every way except one.... She's developed a habit of staying up very late. We live in a small apartment and, all night, all I hear is her going back/forth to the kitchen, opening the fridge, taking something (milk or juice), going back to her room, dancing, click-click-click on the computer, etc etc etc.

Last night, I was up until after 3am with this! I kept telling her to GO TO BED! She would quiet down for a while but then back to the nonsense. She actually stayed up all night and didn't go to sleep until 10pm tonight.

I am not getting a good night's sleep at all. I find myself constantly waking up all night long to tell her to turn off lights, get out of kitchen, go to bed, etc etc etc. This isn't something that just developed over the summer ---- she would do it a few times a week during the school year, too.

I am at my wits end with this. I need to be able to sleep without worrying about her leaving the fridge open or drinking a gallon of milk in one day or cooking something and falling asleep while it's cooking and causing a fire. I've considered a lock on the fridge and the pantry, but that just doesn't sit right with me.

Any constructive thoughts or suggestions??
Take everything out of her room that entertains her and lock the fridge. If it continues after she is sent to her room and lights out she may have insomnia or some sort of sleep issue.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I don't have any advice about how to convince her to go to bed. You can setup rules and consequences.

I can suggest for your health that you seek treatment regarding your anxiety. It's not your worry that she'll drink a gallon of milk or leave the refrigerator open or start a fire....unless she has left the refrigerator door open or fallen asleep while cooking. I doubt that she probably has, and it's probably your anxiety. Please help yourself with your anxiety, because your daughter is at home rather than a boyfriends house or an unknown location.
She is the parent, it IS her concern whether her daughter burns the kitchen down. I'd be stressed out too if I was getting little to no sleep and worrying about what my child was doing all night.

OP, do you think your child has ADD or insomnia? The lack of sleep and nightly activity seems excessive.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:50 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I think a fan would be a good idea too.

I used to be up late at night when I was a teen. In my case, it was the only time I had to myself after homework and chores and taking care of my younger sisters. My mom also kept it too warm to sleep comfortably.

I have the wifi set to turn off between 1am and 6 am at my house. If hubby or I happens to be staying up late and needs to use it, it's easy for me to override, but that way I don't have kids up all night watching Netflix or playing Candy Crush. During the school year, it is definitely my business how late they're up and mine are a little young to be using the internet with no adult supervision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting