Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:52 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,163 times

Advertisements

This is a mostly tame thread. Not specifically about parenting, but it's calm and the differing of opinions and topics are being handled VERY well by all (thank you -).

So, I won't move it for now. However, if things get too out of line...well, you can guess the rest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 08:36 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Boy Scouts would be better with girls - The Washington Post

If allowing boys into a girls organization came up, people would cry foul and say how important it is for girls to have a place to be comfortable without boys. And what is Girl Scouts for?

There is already a coed group called Campfire USA. Why try to destroy the Boy Scouts? Adults ruin everything.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Funny - I was a female Explorer in the 70s. Some posts do allow girls.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
As a business woman in a so-called "man's" field, I have found that single gender and mixed gender groups both have their place.

Single gender groups allow kids to discuss issues not relative to the other gender.

Mixed gender groups help develop real world skills - after all, adulthood his mixed gender.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:54 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
I have a daughter and a son. It seems that my daughter is always being invited to 'girls only' events and groups. 'Girls in Science,' Girl Scouts, Golf for Girls, she has been given tshirts that say Girl Power and GrlzRock. She is considering applying for the excellent all girls high school in our town when she's older.

My son has scouts. That's it. There isn't a single other program outside of sports teams that is only for boys where we live. No Boys in Science, no Boys Robotics, no BoysRAwesome tshirts. Not a single all boys school as an option. That's fine but I'd like to keep scouts as is.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I have a daughter and a son. It seems that my daughter is always being invited to 'girls only' events and groups. 'Girls in Science,' Girl Scouts, Golf for Girls, she has been given tshirts that say Girl Power and GrlzRock. She is considering applying for the excellent all girls high school in our town when she's older.

My son has scouts. That's it. There isn't a single other program outside of sports teams that is only for boys where we live. No Boys in Science, no Boys Robotics, no BoysRAwesome tshirts. Not a single all boys school as an option. That's fine but I'd like to keep scouts as is.
For the t-shirts, you can design your own at zazzle.com

Of course, there are plenty of science specific t-shirts for both boys and girls.

Sports teams are *mostly* single gender as well. And, of course, there are specific psychological groups for single genders depending on where you live and what you need.

I too would leave scouts alone. There is a place for both single gender and co-ed groups, imo

Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 AM

452 posts, read 897,999 times
The issue that the writer of the column has is that his daughter can NOT be labeled with the all important Eagle Scout honor.

There are many organizations that limit according to beliefs, gender, age, etc (Ex: AARP-someone trying to join in their 30s, Church of all denominations-catholic going to Baptist church, running clubs-do you c a couch potato joining, boys weekend with a girl going, I could keep going). Allowing girls in boy scouts would not be good for anyone there is a division of boy scouts that allows girls to participate it is called Adventure scouts and this should be enough. Girl Scouts does not even have this so comparing the two would not be advisable.

We have to have some limits in life and this is one I would like to keep, Let the boys keep Eagle status to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting