Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times

Advertisements

Sure why not- toss in a few girls and make the scouting thing more natural- Boys can learn to be men by learning to get along and respect females at an early age. Moderator Cut Why not let the real thing enter the organization? Then if you want allow a few gays in...at least there would be balance that way.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-04-2013 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: Offensive language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:12 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times
Regarding the OP, I think that a co-ed, multiple-gender "Scouts" makes very logical sense, and in fact should have been implemented long ago.

Having said that, and having been in the Boy Scouts myself when I was much younger, my impression of it after-the-fact was that it is highly overrated, and extremely overhyped. I have always had something of a nagging feeling that it is really actually intended as a means of intentional social conditioning of young males, to promote a certain very specific ideal of masculinity (and at the expense of other alternative masculine identities). Because of this social conditioning aspect, if/when I am ever hopefully fortunate enough to have the blessing of being a father in the future, I will not be enrolling any future male children that I would be having in the Boy Scouts. Not so sure about the Girl Scouts, though, for prospective female children...I don't know whether the same type of social conditioning aspect I have perceived to be in the Boy Scouts is as prevalent in the Girl Scouts...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 08-04-2013 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Edits

Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What do you mean by "throwing it in every ones face"?
As a parent of a gay son and someone who has been in PFlag for years...

Ever hear of the term Loud & Proud ? Many gays feel like they must announce their sexuality to the world and force others to accept almost as if they require special consideration. When you join a group does your sexuality become a factor or that something between you, your god and your lover ?

Should a gay boy be allowed to wear a dress and makeup to a scout meeting ? How about a transgendered boy ?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

And young men don't need young ladies in their troops. It's where the boys learn a lot about becoming men.
To the poster who wrote the above: please understand, I am definitely not trying to criticize or to come across as intentionally harsh on your post, and genuinely mean this with all kind and polite respect intended, but the quoted portion above is one of things that strongly reinforces why I believe that the Boy Scouts are really intended as a rather ominous, non-benevolent intended social engineering mechanism, for young males. IMO, boys don't need to "learn a lot about becoming men", because they are already inherently men, biologically to begin with.

To provide some additional food for thought here: who decides what makes a man a man, in the first place?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:39 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why is coed inherently better?
I said possibly better. I don't know if it is better or not. In my opinion mixed gender groups are better.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:39 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
...a rather ominous, non-benevolent intended social engineering mechanism, for young males. IMO, boys don't need to "learn a lot about becoming men", because they are already inherently men, biologically to begin with.

To provide some additional food for though here: who decides what makes a man a man, in the first place?
As an Eagle scout, and former professional I've got to say: Gimme a break! Providing positive male role models and a strong set of values to live up to is ominous? How!?!

Moderator Cut.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-04-2013 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: No need to use exaggerated language.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:44 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I, for one, would love to hear what a "real man" is.

Are there "real men" and "real women"? What happens if a Scout doesn't become a real man? Does he get his epaulettes torn off in a ceremony attended by all the Scouts who became real men?

So many questions....

Last edited by Jaded; 08-04-2013 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: Removed edited quote

Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
As an Eagle scout, and former professional I've got to say: Gimme a break! Providing positive male role models and a strong set of values to live up to is ominous? How!?!
It is a little hard for me to explain in a fully-concrete manner, but I do not believe that the masculinity ideal and archetype that mainstream society encourages young males to pursue is necessarily a 100% healthy one for them, emotionally. It does not fully represent their emotional needs or interests. It does not encompass all of the global and comprehensive traits and characteristics of masculinity, such as the masculine capability for love, compassion, mercy, and similar emotional qualities. The Boy Scouts thus by its basic nature only promotes the status quo and society's existing popular groupthink about "what makes a man, a man".

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 08-04-2013 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Fixed typo

Old 08-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I, for one, would love to hear what a "real man" is. And how it's determined a boy becomes a real man.

Are there "real men" and "real women"? What happens if a Scout doesn't become a real man? Does he get his epaulettes torn off in a ceremony attended by all the Scouts who became real men?

So many questions....
If I have to tell you, then you will probably never understand.

Still, I'll try.

A "real man" has a set of values they attempt to live up to.

A reasonable set can be found in the Scout Oath and Law.
[SIZE=3]On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my Country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight. [/SIZE]

A Scout is Trustworthy.A Scout tells the truth. He is honest, and he keeps his promises. People can depend on him.A Scout is Loyal.A Scout is true to his family, friends, Scout leaders, school, and nation.A Scout is Helpful.A Scout cares about other people. He willingly volunteers to help others without expecting payment or reward.A Scout is Friendly.A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He offers his friendship to people of all races and nations, and respects them even if their beliefs and customs are different from his own.A Scout is Courteous.A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows that using good manners makes it easier for people to get along.A Scout is Kind.A Scout knows there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. Without good reason, he does not harm or kill any living thing.A Scout is Obedient.A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobeying them.A Scout is Cheerful.A Scout looks for the bright side of life. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.A Scout is Thrifty.A Scout works to pay his own way and to help others. He saves for the future. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.A Scout is Brave.A Scout can face danger although he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at him or threaten him.A Scout is Clean.A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He chooses the company of those who live by high standards. He helps keep his home and community clean.A Scout is Reverent.A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
It is a little hard for me to explain in a fully-concrete manner, but I do not believe that that masculinity ideal and archetype that mainstream society encourages young males to pursue is necessarily a 100% healthy one for them, emotionally. It does not fully represent their emotional needs or interests. It does not encompass all of the global and comprehensive traits and characteristics of masculinity, such as the masculine capability for love, compassion, mercy, and similar emotional qualities. The Boy Scouts thus by its basic nature only promotes the status quo and society's existing popular groupthink about "what makes a man, a man".

While not perfect, I'll take what the Scouts promote as a masculine ideal over most of the crap promoted by "mainstream society" as a masculine ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting