Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:28 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times

Advertisements

US Oath: On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my Country.

That is the extent of the reference. I suppose some may construe "morally straight" as an additional religious reference.

The US Scout Law has an additional reference: Reverent.

Which god is never specified, nor does the organization care. Though I will concede that capitalizing the G in God is Christian centric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
This program no longer exists.

The current BSA co-ed program is called Venturing. Venturing crews are open to young men and women aged 14 to 21.
Actually, both programs exist. Exploring is under the Learning For Life program, and focuses on career development. Law enforcement, medical, electronics, etc.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
The Boy Scouts of America is an ecumenical organization, not a Christian one. Some troops cater to those of a particular faith, like Catholic or Mormon scouts, while other troops, particularly those sponsored by neighborhood organizations, welcome a variety of faiths. Our troop alone has Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and Buddhist scouts.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Actually, both programs exist. Exploring is under the Learning For Life program, and focuses on career development. Law enforcement, medical, electronics, etc.
Thank you for clarifying. I was under the impression that Venturing had superseded Explorers. Glad to have the additional information.

After participating in the traditional BSA program for many years as an adult leader -- I married an Eagle Scout, and it snowballed from there -- I am now learning more about Venturing because my daughter has decided that the boys are having too much fun without her. As a member of a crew, she can now qualify to work as a counselor at our local Cub Scout camp. For several years, she has been a tag-along, and Venturing will give her the opportunity to participate in an official capacity. Plus, she can apply for a very generous college scholarship available to young people who work at the camp.

Last edited by randomparent; 08-04-2013 at 02:58 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying. I was under the impression that Venturing had superseded Explorers. Glad to have the additional information.
It is a great program!

Career Exploring for young men and women ages 14-20

Old 08-04-2013, 02:39 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
To the poster who wrote the above: please understand, I am definitely not trying to criticize or to come across as intentionally harsh on your post, and genuinely mean this with all kind and polite respect intended, but the quoted portion above is one of things that strongly reinforces why I believe that the Boy Scouts are really intended as a rather ominous, non-benevolent intended social engineering mechanism, for young males. IMO, boys don't need to "learn a lot about becoming men", because they are already inherently men, biologically to begin with.

To provide some additional food for thought here: who decides what makes a man a man, in the first place?
I understand but Boys need great strong male role models in their life.
It's where they learn to do things that usually only a man can show his son.

It's one of the reasons we have so many young men getting in trouble and treating women like dirt.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:43 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
US Oath: On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my Country.

That is the extent of the reference. I suppose some may construe "morally straight" as an additional religious reference.

The US Scout Law has an additional reference: Reverent.

Which god is never specified, nor does the organization care. Though I will concede that capitalizing the G in God is Christian centric.
The 'morally straight' bit is a bit weird too, not too keen on that.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:43 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
The current BSA co-ed program is called Venturing. Venturing crews are open to young men and women aged 14 to 21.
At 14 boys are becoming young men and this is the time to introduce co-ed programs beyond the norm.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
At 14 boys are becoming young men and this is the time to introduce co-op programs beyond the norm.

Co-op or Co-Ed?

Old 08-04-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
The 'morally straight' bit is a bit weird too, not too keen on that.
I think it's unfortunate that the phrase is most often interpreted as supporting heterosexuality. I am in favor of encouraging young men and women to make moral and ethical choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting