Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:48 AM

452 posts, read 709,284 times

Advertisements

Definitely Baby Einstein. One of the 14 children we raised was far more brilliant than the others. We started her on "my baby can read" at 6 months and "Baby Einstein" was a constant companion, even Baby Mozart during sleep.

The "baby" is now 7, speaks 5 languages fluently and excels at just about everything she does. She has told us numerous times how much she loved her "baby cd's" She's now using her "baby cd's" to teach her little cousins. (she's fond of German and Japanese, so that's where she started with them, lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 11:07 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Unless you think she has a hearing deficit, I wouldn't worry. Many kids don't talk much at that age. As long as she can follow instructions, she is processing language correctly. It "goes in" before it "comes out."

Old 08-10-2013, 11:59 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
All good suggestions. I would only add to get a speech evaluation from a professional. Videos are a waste of time and more likely to harm than help, especially for a 20 month old. Screen time is NOT recommended for them.
Totally agree with this (wish I could rep you). If you feel in your gut the speech is not coming, especially if the child has had ear infections, get her evaluated for speech. It can be done through a Child Find program, either with your Health Department or your local school system. Don't necessarily go along with the pediatrician if they tell you nothing is wrong. They may be right, but they also may be missing it since speech development is not their expertise area. DON'T use screen time. Talk, talk, talk to her, about anything, everything. I loved the ideas given for how to "read" a book.

Some children are late speakers, but if there is a need, do it now. I'm talking from personal and professional experience (working in the schools). My one ds was missed by the doctors but I got him into speech before age two, went from nothing to two words together (health department speech pathologist said parents tell her that happens but she actually saw it with him). Early intervention, if warranted is so worth it. If nothing else, getting a professional speech pathologist's opinion is worth the peace of mind and SO much better than strangers giving opinions on videos here on CD.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:35 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
20 months is too early to be considering evaluation though (as long as the child is at least babbling and shows signs of understanding speech like following instructions and this child is already speaking some words and clearly understands speech)

Old 08-10-2013, 12:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
i cant do books because all she does is grab the book and turns the pages herself.
Wait. Because she does that you want to plop her in front of the TV to watch DVDs?

Keep her on your lap/snuggled up next to you and let her turn the pages! There is NO substitute for sitting with Dad while he reads you a book. None. Unless you want her to look back and have memories of a childhood spent sitting in front of instructional videos watching something produced for the masses. If that's what you want for her, 20 years down the line, by all means do it. And be sure to keep the monitor clean.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:12 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
20 months is too early to be considering evaluation though (as long as the child is at least babbling and shows signs of understanding speech like following instructions and this child is already speaking some words and clearly understands speech)
No it is not, IF there is a concern and it sounds like the OP has a concern. Maybe there isn't a problem but lack of knowledge on age appropriateness which is not unusual, especially first child. Better safe than sorry. Here's a link to this question, with a lot of good responses, What are the indications that my toddler needs a speech therapist? | BabyCenter.

At worst case the OP will find out his child is developmentally age appropriate, just needs to continue with the talking and interactions, not sitting her in front of a screen. Here's an article regarding that from NIH, Screen time and children: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Old 08-10-2013, 03:21 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
No it is not, IF there is a concern and it sounds like the OP has a concern. Maybe there isn't a problem but lack of knowledge on age appropriateness which is not unusual, especially first child. Better safe than sorry. Here's a link to this question, with a lot of good responses, What are the indications that my toddler needs a speech therapist? | BabyCenter.

At worst case the OP will find out her child is developmentally age appropriate, just needs to continue with the talking and interactions, not sitting her in front of a screen. Here's an article regarding that from NIH, Screen time and children: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
The OP has a concern but judging by what the OP has said there is no actual cause for concern. I think its helpful to point that out to the OP so they don't worry unnecessarily. There's no harm in getting evaluated of course but its just not necessary at this point.
The only cause for concern on that list you linked to that is indicated by the OP is that the child is using only single words, not sentences but its still within the range of normal not to be using sentences at 20 months (at least its in the range of normal according to what I have been told by professionals)

I agree with you about the screentime. Although my daughter picked up lots of vocabulary from watching Moomins its not the best way to encourage talking (but the adult-like vocabulary was incredibly cute coming from a two year old!)

Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 3,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Please don't be upset by her grabbing books and wanting to turn the pages herself. This is a very good thing - she knows that books are fun and interesting, and she wants to take control of that for herself. Have you tried using board books with her? They are designed for toddlers and are extremely sturdy.

Also, instead of trying to read the story to her, try talking about the pictures and ask her questions: "Where is the doggy? What does the doggy say?" and so on. You might try looking through the book and talking with her about the pictures first, then telling her, "Now it's time to read the story! Let's see what happens!" Be enthusiastic, and keep the focus on the story, not on her wanting to grab the book. Also, try teaching her how to handle a book: "This is how Daddy holds your book - now you try it!" Be sure to praise her efforts. Just don't deprive her of access to books because she grabs them - you'll miss a great opportunity if you do this.

Don't expect to read straight through the story without any interruption or interaction from your little girl. Instead, take advantage of her enthusiasm (and take into account her normal short attention span) by involving her in the story and pictures as suggested above. Ham it up - use different voices for different characters, emphasize the exciting, funny, or silly parts and stop now and then to comment, "Isn't that funny?? Look what the kitty cat did!" or whatever, to help hold her interest.

Have you tried Mother Goose rhymes with her? There are many editions, and if you can recite and/or sing nursery rhymes by memory at appropriate times rather than by relying on the book, so much the better. Every English speaking child deserves to know nursery rhymes - they are part of our literary heritage (and very functional as well). Try reciting a rhyme she's heard many times and leaving off the last word - she'll probably fill in the blank. Or make silly changes to a nursery rhyme she knows well "Mary had a little lamb, its fleece was black as coal" and see how she responds. Toddlers love to "correct" their elders.

If she enjoys flipping through pages, give her old magazines to riffle through - this is good for eye-hand coordination and will improve her grasp.

Using books with babies and small children is far better than using videos with them, as they learn to associate books and reading with a warm parent-child relationship, and that first-person interaction can be tailored to the individual child's level, interests, and needs. Plus, it's great fun for both parent and child and can strengthen attachment.

If you would like suggestions for good titles to use with your little girl, see your local public children's librarian. He or she can offer excellent suggestions (cumulative stories work very well with little ones), and the library may well offer free toddler storytimes for parents and small children.

As for "educational" videos - they're okay, but picturebooks are far, far better. Their long-term value far outweighs the loss of a few pages torn or scribbled on by an enthusiastic toddler.
These suggestions are very good. As CraigCreek stated, books that are made for very young children are quite sturdy. Letting your child grab and try to turn the pages does help teach coordination and she is just mimicking what you're doing - that's just one of the many ways little ones learn. Letting your daughter interact with you while you show her the pictures and tell her what they are is a precious learning experience.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:40 AM

501 posts, read 932,637 times
Based on my kids experience, right now you'd like baby to talk more. But in a year, baby will talk more and you wish that she'd not talk as much.

I once saw a funny sign. "We spend the first year of the child's life to teach them to walk and talk. Then we spend the next three telling them to shut up and sit down." While saying "shut up" is inappropriate, the gist of the sign is really true.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:32 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
so my daughter is 20 months and she still isnt saying enough words in my opinion. i know every child is different but i think she should be saying more than 10 words. ive heard about the signing time dvd. has anyone used it and what other dvds would you recommend? i cant do books because all she does is grab the book and turns the pages herself.

well figure out books .. .because television can't make up for it. Books the interaction of a parent spelling words out, sounding them out. The baby looking at your face
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting