Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:15 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,635 times

Advertisements

For my family, I have instilled that sitting down to dinner as a family is very important. It's our time to share how our days were, talking about the days ahead of us, laugh and have no other obligations other than to spend time together.

My husband did not grow up doing it, and he loves that we do this. My mother made sure we sat down every chance we got, so it was only natural that I did the same thing.

Now, that isn't to say that on the rare occasion, we don't just plop ourselves around the living room table watching TV. But even then, we're together.

The other tradition that we just started is cutting down our Christmas tree. Its a great way to spend the day and work together as a team.

What do you do as a family tradition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 02:39 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post

Fight, argue, make messes, ruin outings, and don't share.

I am not kidding. We can't do anything without the kids fighting or crying or thinking someone else got more.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:56 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Three I can think of:
-We eat cake/cupcakes/cookies for breakfast on birthdays
-We go to the beach on Father's Day
-We eat ice cream before dinner on Mother's Day

Old 10-25-2013, 03:07 PM

501 posts, read 933,466 times
We have one or two annual camping trips that we've done every year.

We ride through the tulip fields on our bike every spring. There are thousand of acres of tulips a bit north of our town and the bloom every spring.

We ride on a former rail trail that goes over 9 trestles in a picturesque part of the country every year.

We go skiing in the winter.

Road trips to Grandma and Grandpas house.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:40 AM

95 posts, read 171,118 times
Pizza and a Christmas movie on the day we put up our Christmas tree.
Handmade Christmas presents for all the neighbors and friends.
Special dinner and ice cream for good report cards.
Fall cookie decorating party every November.
Several times a month we have a family game night, movie night, or outdoor activity. It used to be every Saturday night, but kids get older and have lots of activities.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:27 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Just the girls go and cut down the Christmas tree. Such fun.

We do have dinner together.

Birthdays are dinner and cake/dessert choice of the celebrated. My twins switch off choosing dinner and dessert.
The one that chooses the cake has her name written on it first.

We have pizza on Halloween and Christmas Eve.

I'm sure there's more. Just can't think of them right now.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:45 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times
A balloon bouquet outside the kids bedroom door with number of balloons to match years on the morning of their b-day.

Son and Daughter always place the angel on the top of our Christmas tree and have to pose for a picture.

Christmas day: Donuts for breakfast, presents then off to the movies followed by a Chinese food feast at our favorite restaurant. Its the one meal a year where we order all of our favorites and make pigs of ourselves.

We do pie for birthdays instead of cake. DH gets apple, DS always pumpkin, DD switches up her request but usually pumpkin also and I usually have coconut cream.

We usually go out for Thanksgiving dinner.

Christmas eve is celebrated with family and friends. I make a ham and cheesy potatoes. Friends bring a favorite side dish and share the background of that dish, this way we learn of each others traditions and favorite memories.
Everyone brings an ornament and we have an ornament fight/exchange. I insist that this is a sit down dinner and there have been years that we have had to snake tables through the house to accommodate everyone seated but we do and we love it.

We used to cut our tree every year - we now live in TX, we can no longer cut one and haven't figured out what to do regarding a tree.

Most nights will find us at the table having dinner

Old 10-26-2013, 11:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Hello fellow Tar Heel- Chapel Hill here.

We have three adopted children and from the very beginning i would take each child outside at night to look at the stars and to ask for blessings for their birth families so that they know they made the right decisions and to hope they are looking at the same stars themselves. My 30 year old daughter still does this every year even though she has not lived at home for many years.

Another terrific tradition is we always have Cheese Grits Casserole for every Holiday Dinner and use the good china and sterling silver place settings. But we are always still in our jamies!

Old 10-26-2013, 03:52 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
My son's birthday is usually the weekend right after Thanksgiving so having a party is hard because so many people are out of town or have family over. So a few years ago we decided to just go on a cruise. Since there's only 3 of us and no one really likes all that cooking we just go over Thanksgiving break.

Luckily we live in FL and cruises are fairly cheap. This year we're going to Mexico.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Annual extended family trip to the pumpkin patch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting