Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:23 PM

340 posts, read 522,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Eh. I think it's perfectly normal for a kid to shriek at some point in their existence. How the parent reacts when it inevitably happens is a different story.
Ditto. Whenever my kids produced a shriek (in public). I was quick to chastise them and explain to them that outbursts in the way of shrieking were unacceptable, then we would carry on.

Today, I see few parents reining in their children while in public. Seems the easier option is to pretend they don't see or hear anything.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:12 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,851,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
^ I could have written the above post.

I'm definitely not a fan of the shriek. A bit here and there when kids are playing OUTSIDE is understandable and I can let it go. But when it goes on and on, or worse, when it happens inside, I cringe.

It's irritating as hell and it's up to the parents to control it, as best they can. What happened to teaching kids manners and consideration for others?
Well parents do teach them, but before they learn to control themselves perfectly sometimes they shriek. I am not a fan of the shriek either but it is a perfectly normal behavior. They are works in progress.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:20 AM

79 posts, read 99,993 times
Default Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I've raised two kids, crying is normal. Shrieking, which I define as high pitched and intentional, IMO is not "normal" behavior and certainly not something my kids did. They cried, sure and as babies before they knew better they screamed occasionally but there is no reason a toddler should be shrieking unless that toddler has learned it is an effective behavior.
And I got the inevitable "do you have kids?" and since I don't, I know there are those out there nodding and saying: "Thought so!" But YOU have kids so you know.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by raina starling
And I got the inevitable "do you have kids?" and since I don't, I know there are those out there nodding and saying: "Thought so!"
I know plenty of women who don't have children, yet could do cartwheels/run circles around (with their eyes closed) a lot of the substandard mothering I see today, so not having kids has no bearing on and holds no weight regarding topics such as this. Just because one doesn't have children, doesn't mean they aren't entitled to or wise enough to cast their thoughts and/or state their concerns.

Last edited by Lavadora; 08-17-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 11:38 AM

858 posts, read 1,800,830 times
My daughter does it and it drives me crazy. She knows it's not OK, but still does it, but it's like she can't control herself. She's 4.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 AM

454 posts, read 791,462 times
It's normal to an extent... kids get over-excited and stimulated; and very small children with limited vocabulary tend to shriek. Although i must admit it's an assault on my eardrums to hear high-pitched squeals worthy of an air-raid siren. DOUBLY worse when the little darling is next to you in the checkout line

Old 08-17-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
My daughter does it and it drives me crazy. She knows it's not OK, but still does it, but it's like she can't control herself. She's 4.
I am curious--are there specific occasions when she does it? When did she start?

Actually, I see it much more often in younger kids (less than 3) for obvious reasons. They cannot yet speak or they have a limited vocabulary.

This is not a thread about how I can't stand shrieking kids. Of course, the noise pierces through my brainpan like a sword, but besides that I just think it is a red flag. I was at lunch time when a little girl was doing it and the mother didn't seem to care one bit.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,551,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raina starling View Post
And I got the inevitable "do you have kids?" and since I don't, I know there are those out there nodding and saying: "Thought so!" But YOU have kids so you know.
I also have kids -- more than two and mine did not shriek in public -- actually they rarely ever cried, even as infants. My daughter had a high pitched scream at certain ages, for example she was 3 years old and stung by a wasp and you'd have thought her arm had come off. Her twin brother was also stung and never made a whimper -- but then it was he who came up with the bright idea of them throwing rocks at a wasp nest.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
I know plenty of women who don't have children, yet could do cartwheels/run circles around (with their eyes closed) a lot of the substandard mothering I see today, so not having kids has no bearing on and holds no weight regarding topics such as this. Just because one doesn't have children, doesn't mean they aren't entitled to or wise enough to cast their thoughts and/or state their concerns.
What I always point out is that some mothers lock their children in cages or beat them with extension cords. The meme that parents are instantly wise when they have kids is ludicrous at best.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by raina starling
The meme that parents are instantly wise when they have kids is ludicrous at best.
A ludicrous premise indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting