Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I absolutely agree, it's the jumping to conclusions that's not helpful. If it goes on repeatedly without a parent intervening, then a polite request is totally acceptable. Throwing around "bad mother", "out of control", "doesn't care", etc. is what I object to because as a casual observer you have no idea what is going on.
True. A casual observer wouldn't know if the child in question is autistic or has been abused or is just spoiled. Also there are kids who have an inborn need to have attention just as there are those kids who don't like bringing attention to themselves.

I would think there is a problem of some kind if a child just sits and shrieks or shrieks to get his way on everything, but not if the child is shrieking while playing outdoors or is hurt. A casual observer just doesn't know what that problem is -- and it's not necessarily poor parenting.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:45 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I was never a shrieker. My two cousins closest to me in age? BIGTIME shriekers. Ear piercing. Like, we're talking superpower, have-your-own-comic levels. Neither grew up to be serial killers. In fact, both have families and white-collar jobs and are very well-loved and respected by the communities they live in.

It's annoying, but... it's not a sign of any underlying issue, imho.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:49 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raina starling View Post
How old is she? Are there specific situations when she does this? Do you see this as a form of manipulation to get what she wants?
Its not manipulation. She does it when she's really upset frustrated because can't manage to do something she's trying to do. She's 2 and a half and can't seem to get a handle on her emotions at the moment.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:55 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,784 times
My mom said my sister and I never shrieked or thrown tantrums. I thought maybe she was fibbing, but she swears it!

Old 08-17-2013, 03:13 PM

79 posts, read 100,222 times
Default That to me is understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Its not manipulation. She does it when she's really upset frustrated because can't manage to do something she's trying to do. She's 2 and a half and can't seem to get a handle on her emotions at the moment.
It's like if I swear when I can't get the lid on the jar to open, LOL.

In a case like being too young to handle frustration, it makes perfect sense. I am mainly speaking of cases where it seems totally random. Or even with excitement, it doesn't strike me as the child being happy but manic. I don't think I shrieked either.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
Perfectly normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
Ditto. Whenever my kids produced a shriek (in public). I was quick to chastise them and explain to them that outbursts in the way of shrieking were unacceptable, then we would carry on.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:29 PM

79 posts, read 100,222 times
I was just sitting in a park close to home and they were having a wedding reception and I heard CATERWAULING (rather than shrieking) and wondered what the hell was up. Some kids at the party for some reason were doing this.

When you think you've walked into the primate house at the local zoo, maybe there is a situation?

I blame vaxxes, refined flour, HFCS, caffeinated beverages given by parents to young kids, artificial flavors and colors and preservatives.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:21 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
OP, yes it is normal. You might find out yourself one day. Hopefully not, if you are lucky. But many many many kids do it. It is annoying as a parent, but it is only a stage in the kids life. My son did it when he was 1.5-2.5. Then he all of a sudden just stopped.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 AM

794 posts, read 1,409,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Um, do you have kids? Many/most/all children shriek out of happiness, sadness, anger, glee, simply to hear themselves shriek. They haven't yet gained the control that adults do when it comes to handling their big emotions. Some kids do it more than others, of course.
You don't need to have kids to recognise normal behaviour. The OP's next thread is going to be about throat clearing or hand shaking.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
You don't need to have kids to recognise normal behaviour. The OP's next thread is going to be about throat clearing or hand shaking.
Of course not... but before I had children, I didn't understand why mothers "let" their babies cry in public, or "let" their toddlers throw tantrums. Many of us are perfect parents when our kids are just a glimmer in our eye.

I also think there's a fair amount of natural and necessary forgetfulness about the reality of having small children. Mine are pre-teens, and I have blocked a lot of it out. Then I'm reminded when watching a friend's small child just how intense and energy-consuming little ones are! I remember very few tantrums from my son, and more from my daughter, who was just a screechy/screamy toddler. Two kids, same parents, same rules, different temperaments. But still, we forget the tedious, difficult days of toddler-wrangling, I think. It's why every generation thinks that the next generation is raising a crew of spoiled brats. They've simply forgotten how bratty their own kids were! I could definitely see my parents, who are in their late 50s, thinking that today's little ones are awful, but I remember being pretty awful myself. They've just blocked it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting