Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,820,528 times

Advertisements

I don't know why society thinks baby boys = blue and girls = pink. I wouldn't pay attention to it, just buy the color you think the baby would look good in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 12:34 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
I don't know why society thinks baby boys = blue and girls = pink. I wouldn't pay attention to it, just buy the color you think the baby would look good in.
Did you know it used to be the other way around?

Fun Fact: Pink For Girls And Blue For Boys Didn't Emerge Until 1940s - Mommyish

Quote:
Prior to the 19th century, gender neutral clothing was the status quo. Just like little two and half year old FDR up there, boys and girls under the age of six wore white frilly clothes for practicality. All white garments, no matter what a tot did to them, could be bleached.

The notion that children’s clothes could somehow shape their gender development did not come about until right before World War I. Pink was considered a stronger color than blue, and therefore more befitting for a boys. Girls wore blue because the color was deemed more dainty and feminine for its era.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We have a really neat baptism gown that has been worn by boys in my wife's family since the 1800s. Girls get baptised in it too now days but it was made for boys. It is all pretty lacy and frilly. One son in law (a good old boy Texan) looked at that gown and said no way is my boy getting seen in that fluffy dress in public.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:10 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We have a really neat baptism gown that has been worn by boys in my wife's family since the 1800s. Girls get baptised in it too now days but it was made for boys. It is all pretty lacy and frilly. One son in law (a good old boy Texan) looked at that gown and said no way is my boy getting seen in that fluffy dress in public.

Show your SIL a photo of the christening gown that's been used by generations of British royal babies (a duplicate of the original, which dates to the infancy of Queen Victoria's eldest child, is now used). Talk about silk, frills, lace and ruffles!

My father's christening gown (c.1904-5) has been used for generations in my own family. It is made of very fine white lawn, reaches well below any baby's feet, is trimmed with both ruffles and lace, and is worn with the original, lace-trimmed petticoat.

Wearing this heirloom for an hour or less in infancy has not adversely affected any of the male members of our family.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:33 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Taking the post title as a question - no, it really isn't. I honestly didn't care about gender at all.

We've had 3 pregnancies. The first we weren't going to find out - but then lost the pregnancy around 20 weeks. It was at that time we found out she was a girl.

So for the 2nd, being paranoid, we wanted to know everything as soon as possible.

For the 3rd we went back to not wanting to know. Typically didn't create any issues although we had two people on my wifes side of the family that were kind of jerks with some of their commentary, but we let it slide. We had a feeling that the baby was a boy and this was confirmed by the doctors

My little brother came many years after the rest of us - this was '88 - I still remember being outside playing with my older brother and some of our friends as my grandmother came out to tell us the verdict - was exciting

Old 08-29-2013, 02:45 PM

30 posts, read 30,490 times
To me it would be but I don't have children. My mother is happy she got 3 boys, my father liked it as well in the sense it showed his manhood.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
????

How in the world does the gender of your children have anything to do with your "manhood"

your super manly sperm doesn't produce super manly boys ... but then again, IMO those that get hung up on things like "manhood" really aren't the type to think about thinks like simple biology

Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
The sex of our child didn't really matter to me... all that "mattered" to me was that I hope they'd enjoy the two things I did growing up (and still do)... golf and baseball. Good thing that these sports allow both boys and girls (baseball to some extent but softball is fine too of course) to play.

We had a girl on March 15... my little Jovie Lucille =)

At the rate she's growing she could be a linebacker!!! She's almost 20 lbs... just under 30 inches... and already has 2 teeth! Growing up so fast!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting