Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 11:44 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times

Advertisements

If so, how did you react to their relationship - good or bad?

I come from a pretty conservative/religious family. My question is for those of you who have adult/teen children, or for those of you who have thought this far ahead:

Have you personally or do you know of any parents that have rejected/disowned/distanced themselves from their child because s/he was romantically involved with someone of the same sex? How did their sexual orientation affect their relationship with their parents/you? Did religion play into this?

I'm really looking for serious answers.

Thanks for all responses.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-19-2013 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: Per request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 11:48 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
It would not affect my relationship with my child at all.

I have five sons, ages 18, 23, 24, 36, and 38.

Religion plays no part in my life.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:09 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Really not looking to create any flame wars, just looking for genuine answers. Hope we can keep it civil and interesting. Thanks!

Last edited by Jaded; 08-19-2013 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: moderator actions removed.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:18 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
It wouldn't affect my relationship with my child (I have discussed this with her father actually and he said the same) but I would be worried how it would affect her relationship with her grandparents, not so much her grandparents on my side (although they are very religious they are pretty tolerant) but on her father's side who are very religious and extremely intolerant.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:55 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
We are religious, but that would not change my relationship with my child (just as it has not with my brother).

I don't see how my being religious has anything to so with it....

Old 08-19-2013, 06:53 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
I don't see what anyone's sexual orientation has to do with anything. I have a two relatives, one each on the paternal and on the maternal side of large families who have partners of the same sex. The partners have been welcomed into the family with open arms. The relationships are long term, the two couples each have bought homes and settled in.

Their lives are no different than anyone else--- go to work, keep up the houses, see friends and family, etc. The fact that they are same sex does not impact my life or anyone else one way or the other.

The four of them are all good, kind, decent people- a credit to the human race. What more could anyone ask. What does religion have to do with same sex relationships?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Here we go again with another poorly disguised thread promoting this tiresome gay agenda thing. I wish people would give it up...it really does not serve any useful purpose...of course we are now going to hear sob stories about how a nasty "conservative" father or mother - rejects and breaks the heart of some poor gay child..how they never spoke to them again ..and how horrible these parents are. This idea wanders far from reality...Just about all parents whether they like it or not - will not jettison their own child if this RARE situation arises...so give it up - we don't need more of these threads that are actually political in substance. I just can't stand it when those with a political or social agenda bring children and emotion into the issue. It's just insincere.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:39 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Here we go again with another poorly disguised thread promoting this tiresome gay agenda thing.
Perfectly valid (and interesting) topic for Parenting. A gay child faces challenges a straight child doesn't. The parent of a gay child has experiences the parent of a straight child doesn't.

If you're uncomfortable with the subject you are free to not read the thread.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:21 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,524 times
Moderator Cut

I'm conservative, the libertarian kind not the religious kind. If my son who is two turns out to be gay I would be disappointed for maybe a day or so. A heterosexual father who tells you he wouldn't intially be upset or disappointed if his son was gay is lying. But after that I'd remember what the most important thing is and that is that my son turns out to be a decent human being who treats others with respect, kindness and compassion.

It's sad to see how some are capable of treating their own flesh and blood.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-19-2013 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: language

Old 08-19-2013, 12:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I will be thrilled when my children find their soul mates regardless of what gender they are. Their happiness is all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting