Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:11 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times

Advertisements

When my sons were younger, I tended to buy the best, with the idea that whatever it was, would eventually survive to see use by all three. As they got older, we set dollar amounts that we were willing to spend, and they had the choice of quality vs quantity. I'd guess that 90% of the time, they opt for quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 04:39 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
When it's a learning toy, I'll usually get the nicest one we can afford. With a toy that holds live creatures, we would have to decide if it was really necessary and then look at which one was the most humane and kept the ants in the conditions closest to nature. We'd also have to look at whether the species of ants contained in the toy were local to the area and if we could release them when the project was done.

I'll also splurge when possible on art supplies, because the quality of the supplies has a lot to do with the quality of the finished product. Things like large canvases, good quality paints and chalks, etc. are important.

Bikes are another area where quality is important, for safety and reliability...one of my kids has a $300 bicycle and the other one has a $600 bicycle. We started with cheaper bikes but they didn't hold up to regular riding, so we had to upgrade. In our neighborhood, even having a cheap bike that actually fits the kid is unusual, so my kids seem spoiled to their friends, but we ride often and far, and need the good bikes so we're not stranded on the trails or making repairs every weekend.

I don't think splurging just for the sake of splurging is a good thing, but it makes sense to choose quality when possible.
This is pretty much in line with my spending. Safety is important to me so I try not to buy things/toys that are cheaply made (ie dollar store stuff) and mostly try to by things not made in China.

I also don't buy cheap supplies. We do something arty/crafty just about every night. We do play with alot of "found objects" like egg cartons and the like but I still buy quality brushes, glues, papers, etc.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:50 PM

501 posts, read 933,466 times
I don't disagree with buying quality.

I don't see that buying a 9 pod ant farm with multiple hoses and connecting tubes for $45 is any higher quality than the simple ant farm for $12 that contains sand and a viewing window.

I knew a few kids in school that seemed to have the best toys - by best, I'm not referring to highest quality but most extravagant, fancy, or eye candy. They aren't the ones that were the best kids. Seemed like the parents felt a desire to make up for inadequacies somewhere else.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:33 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
I think no matter how much money the parents have, it would be a good lesson for their kids to have a couple of birthday's or Christmas where the kids only receive a home made card (saying Happy Birthday or whatever). And the kids be told there is not enough money to buy presents.

And that the kids learn it is ok to give/receive just a card if there is not enough money to buy a present.

I say this because I saw one lady spend her rent money buying her kids Christmas presents, then was evicted in January.

And another *had* to buy her mom and sister Christmas presents costing around $200 each because "that is what they always had done"! But her husband was not working and they were behind on their bills, so she couldn't afford $2 let alone $400.

Bottom line, OK to buy over the top gifts, but not to the point where it is always expected. When they grow up and have financial difficulty later on, they will have skills to handle the situation.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:44 AM

384 posts, read 594,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I don't disagree with buying quality.

I don't see that buying a 9 pod ant farm with multiple hoses and connecting tubes for $45 is any higher quality than the simple ant farm for $12 that contains sand and a viewing window.

I knew a few kids in school that seemed to have the best toys - by best, I'm not referring to highest quality but most extravagant, fancy, or eye candy. They aren't the ones that were the best kids. Seemed like the parents felt a desire to make up for inadequacies somewhere else.
When I was in school, I collected LEGO and LEGO only. In the online LEGO community it is taboo to buy or use clone brands, such as Mega Bloks and Best Lock. Now hypothetically I could buy a 1,000 piece Best Lock set for $10 or I could buy a 300-piece LEGO set for $40, but clone brands are often of a very bad quality (pieces are deformed, and they won't snap together. So there's an example of where I would only buy the more expensive brand exclusively.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I think no matter how much money the parents have, it would be a good lesson for their kids to have a couple of birthday's or Christmas where the kids only receive a home made card (saying Happy Birthday or whatever). And the kids be told there is not enough money to buy presents.

When they grow up and have financial difficulty later on, they will have skills to handle the situation.
That can be done without lying to the child. Which I find pretty dang low. The "cards only" idea? A child a limited number of birthdays to celebrate. Sorry, no.

Parents can instill those values and teach children about the value of money without lying and creating a false perception. If they can't they aren't very clever. You have, however, taught them the skill of lying. It that's your goal you're on the right track.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-24-2013 at 04:55 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 10:55 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Wow thats a horrible thing to do. I don't think parents should spend hundreds of dollars on presents for their kids, but to lie and say there isn't any money for gifts when there actually is? Thats just horrible. Most kids know enough about their families to realize when there is money or not. If you have money, and then don't give them anything for Christmas or a birthday, they're going to feel hurt. And again, I don't think children should be spoiled, but to not give a single Christmas present and then lie to them about the reason? I'd hate to be your child when they go back to school after Christmas break and have to listen to all their classmates talking about what they got for Christmas. The kid is going to grow up knowing their parents are stingy liars.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:01 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
Spending is relative. Something that costs $100 may be considered over the top by someone who doesn't have $100 to spend on the item. That doesn't mean spending $100 is over the top.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:13 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Wow thats a horrible thing to do. I don't think parents should spend hundreds of dollars on presents for their kids, but to lie and say there isn't any money for gifts when there actually is? Thats just horrible. Most kids know enough about their families to realize when there is money or not. If you have money, and then don't give them anything for Christmas or a birthday, they're going to feel hurt. And again, I don't think children should be spoiled, but to not give a single Christmas present and then lie to them about the reason? I'd hate to be your child when they go back to school after Christmas break and have to listen to all their classmates talking about what they got for Christmas. The kid is going to grow up knowing their parents are stingy liars.
Well the above about sums up how materialistic we have all become!

Think about this! Are "things" really that important?

How about the other things in life? Love, caring, spending time with someone, spending your time and energy to make something (like a greeting card) for someone you care for, etc.

It is not necessary to go buy things for loved ones to show you care for them!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Parents can spend money on their children any way they choose. Everyone has a different opinion on this. The only time I do pass judgement is when people buy young teens high performance sports car. IMO that is stupid and reckless. One of my neighbors bought their 16 year-old a $60 k car which was wrecked with thankfully only slight injuries in less than 2 months.
Yes, it totally depends.

If the parents have the money and they want to buy what others would consider very expensive, it's totally their business and I've seen kids turn out just fine who weren't raised the way I would have raised my own. At the same time, some kids become spoiled brats who appreciate nothing if given too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting