Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:59 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,815,937 times

Advertisements

There was a point where I would never have believed it possible, but that is no longer the case. Emotionally, I can't do it, my door will always be open should our eldest choose to walk through it.

Financially, it's already been done. He is no longer mentioned as a beneficially on anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 12:12 AM

15,084 posts, read 14,248,412 times
I'd never disown my child.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:03 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,412,719 times
I can't imagine ever doing so - despise the act yes, but never give up on my child.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:40 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,082,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
I can't imagine ever doing so - despise the act yes, but never give up on my child.
I wouldn't disagree with the not disowning part, that would be each parent's decision.

But the fact is, people are what they do. One cannot separate the act from the person. Willful acts do not do themselves. To continue to accept a person who has done a repugnant act, you have to find some way to wrap your head around accepting that the person is their act. After "I will always love my child," has been said, the elephant of wilful action and responsibility remains in the living room.

From what I see on TV or read quoted in the papers most parents of children who have done horrible acts resort to saying that they were influenced by others or they didn't know what they were doing. These are is-is-not solutions to the conundrum, and I wonder how these parents fare in the long term.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:16 AM

576 posts, read 988,954 times
I have done essentially that. I have a daughter who suffers from mental illness, and spent decades trying to get her to comply with tx, which would bring her more in line with "normal", socially acceptable behaviors. She refuses tx, and the result is someone who is very difficult to be around, and has caused great harm on some occasions, in years past, to her younger siblings, emotionally as well as physically.

She has been cut out of our lives, her choice really. We have nothing in common w/her, and her harem skarum existence. She has no use for any of us, and our run of the mill, ho hum, typical normal existence, and we can't identify with her's.

It breaks my heart. It wasn't at all what I envisioned decades ago, when I held that sweet little beautiful baby girl in my arms. Not at all what I would *want* for her, or for any of us.

But out of necessity, .... it's for the best.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,356,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My father in law disowned my husband. He was mad that we didn't have a boy to carry on the family name. He wanted us to divorce so my husband could have kids with another woman. My husband told him that was outrageous, and FIL told him to lose his phone number and never call again.

He left my husband a dollar in his will.

But he forgot to change the beneficiary for his life insurance policy
It is obvious that your father in law had some major psychological issues...

Old 08-24-2013, 07:44 AM

6,809 posts, read 6,889,962 times
I will always love my children unconditionally. I would hate the act, and would struggle with accepting the fact that my child had done it. But the love would remain intact.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,207,397 times
Only if they vote republican

Old 08-24-2013, 09:51 AM

2,845 posts, read 5,987,985 times
My dad disowned me when my parents were getting a divorce. He went from helping me pay for school to cutting me off completely. When I told him that obviously he has money and he's trying to hide things from my mom and I (he had businesses out of the country) he was furious with me. We didn't speak for 5 years. When I got married he wasn't there.

One night he came to my place and told me he loved me and wanted back into my life. That was 2 years ago. I can't tell you how distraught I was about being disowned, and how strained our relationship is now. I don't care for his second wife, he has a son with her (who is 15, the reason why my mom initiated the divorce).

I guess my point is that it's okay to be angry with your kid, it's okay to not agree, but don't disown them! Because things will NEVER be the same if you reconcile. NEVER. I still don't trust him anymore.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:16 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,501,524 times
I do know a few people who have been disowned for being LGBTQ.

I think it's easy to say one would never disown a child, but each situation is unique. My aunt and uncle disowned my cousin who has an Antisocial Personality Disorder also known as a sociopath. For years he would steal anything and everything from them, his siblings, grandparents, he would manipulate friends of the family making up lies about everyone. He cost them jobs, and broke their hearts multiple times over, they were also terrified of him. They sought out much help for him, but ultimately decided for their own safety and for the health and safety of the family to legally disown him. My grandfather remained in touch with him, and a trust for him that he would be eligible for if he sought out professional help, and succeeded in furthering his education. He was unable to do either. The last anyone heard of him was over 10 years ago, and he was serving a long jail term. I know the whole situation still breaks my aunt's heart.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 08-24-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting