Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM

452 posts, read 709,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I could never do that.

I could hate whatever heinous thing they had done but I could never hate my child enough to kick him out of my life.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 02:52 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I do know a few people who have been disowned for being LGBTQ.

I think it's easy to say one would never disown a child, but each situation is unique. My aunt and uncle disowned my cousin who has an Antisocial Personality Disorder also known as a sociopath. For years he would steal anything and everything from them, his siblings, grandparents, he would manipulate friends of the family making up lies about everyone. He cost them jobs, and broke their hearts multiple times over, they were also terrified of him. They sought out much help for him, but ultimately decided for their own safety and for the health and safety of the family to legally disown him. My grandfather remained in touch with him, and a trust for him that he would be eligible for if he sought out professional help, and succeeded in furthering his education. He was unable to do either. The last anyone heard of him was over 10 years ago, and he was serving a long jail term. I know the whole situation still breaks my aunt's heart.
It sounds like the best way to remain safe.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:29 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
You never know what is really going on in a family, unless you are living in it. Don't judge people's' actions from the outside, because you don't know what may have caused their action. There are scenarios that can occur in a family that are so horrific that people simply cannot reveal the reasons for their decisions to separate themselves from a child.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:55 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
If they married someone I didn't like. I would definitely have a hard time leaving them any of my money or property. I'd still talk to them, though.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:41 PM

28 posts, read 32,046 times
Unconditional love, something that all parents should have for their kids, is love they have for their child regardless of the behavior (any behavior). Misbehavior usually doesn't occur from a vacuum. There is usually an underlying medical, emotional, or psychological reason that triggers the behavior. So often as a society, we tend to throw people away because of their behavior without truly helping them understand why they chose to behave in that fashion. That is one reason why our prisons are overcrowded. Too much punishment, not enough rehab. One way to help someone overcome a problem is by providing unconditional love. Disowning your child should never, ever be considered regardless of the behavior!

Old 08-24-2013, 06:57 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
I would never "disown" my children. If one committed a horrendous crime, I would absolutely call the police and assist the victim(s) in finding comfort/closure. But I would stand by my child's side and provide a listening ear and counsel to the very end. It's OK to hate the crime and love the person.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:10 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
No, I would never disown my children. Ever. I love them. Period. To disown them would mean that my love had boundaries and limits. It doesn't.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:28 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I would have said the same thing as recently as 18 months ago. There was no crime committed, no horrendous act on his behalf. He is a successful adult with his own family now. He chose to cut us out of his world, not the other way around. For the sake of my other children, and my spouse, he has been figuratively disowned. His share of our assets will go to his brothers. It doesn't mean we don't continue to love him, and want to have him in our lives, but he has made a different choice.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:48 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
We love our children very much and they've always been good kids, but sometimes the hurt gets unbearable and w/o going into too many details, we came close (not easy seeing our little grandchild at fam. events and getting the cold shoulder and not knowing why, also we both had major health issues which were ignored, it still bothers me but time has faded a lot), it was a difficult time (an understatement). Anyway, time passed, we basically gave up (it was out of our hands anyway) and moved on (physically and literally) and eventually our child made contact, we met in a restaurant a couple of times and later met the gr.children (now there were 2). Ironically, we're in contact w/ that child more than we are w/ our others (no fault of anyone, it's just the way it is) and knock wood, things are really going well and hopefully will continue.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
So true. That's my favorite thing to ponder when I have insomnia. I always fall asleep before I'm done.
That's so funny. Me too! Except im not happy with only 10 millions.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting