Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 06:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have not seen anyone "out-shining everyone else" Never. ...... Academics - i have not met anyone ever who is heads above all others in the long term.
Pity.

The really brilliant ones are quite handy to have around.

BTW: I can assure you that the level of intelligence I am referring to is not "trained" into a person. It's there at birth and obvious during the toddler years.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-26-2013 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 08:55 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Wow, second thread of the week just bashing some other parent for enjoyment.

Parents just can't win for losing I guess. Kid not smart enough, parents fault, kid not good enough at sports, parent, kid to good at school work, maybe gifted, parents fault, too social, parent, not social enough, you guessed it parent.

It seems nobody's doing it right, or at least enough to satisfy all you parent critics. Wonder who the new victim will be, oh let me guess? The kid who's parent made him a great basket ball player just to satisfy their long lost basketball fetish. Poor kid didn't get a great education because he was beaten into practicing every night. Oh, and probably doesn't even have friends.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 PM

384 posts, read 594,365 times
Although we don't like to acknowledge it, not every child is gifted. There are always going to be children of all races that will go on to work blue collar jobs.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:49 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,640 times
Just because you work a 'blue collar' job doesn't mean you aren't gifted. Lots of highly intelligent people burn out early and/or just aren't interested in the academic life or in making a million before they're 30. Some people like to work with their hands and turn out to be artists with a wrench. I've known a couple of working class people who read very literate stuff in their spare time, did historical re-creations with meticulous attention to detail, or otherwise showed that they were incredibly smart.

One of the ways you can tell if someone is 'gifted' is that they don't do things the way other people do them.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 PM

21,468 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
So I know this parent who really, really, really wants her child to be gifted.

As in, during pregnancy, announced she could recognize the child's aptitude. It kicked at particular points when the mom read stories out loud.

A few days after birth, it was observed the child was very smart.

At age 2-3, the child was filmed reading stories and shared them with relatives. (In reality, the child just memorized a book and pretended to read the story.)

Today, the mom is going around talking about gifted education and all that. However, test scores are never reported, grades are never shared, and concrete observations from others are never shared. Just the obvious fact that she is gifted, and all of her struggles at school are because of her profound giftedness and how much more advanced she is than all of her peers.

Comments?
I know someone like that too. I guess some people think having a gifted child will reflect well on them somehow. The parent I know bullied her son's way into the Gifted and Talented Program at school, which was fine in elementary, but caused some problems in junior high when it was determined that he probably was just smart, not gifted. He started having major difficulties in his gifted classes around that time, probably because it was all classes everyday instead of just a few in elementary school.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:41 PM

21,468 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Pity.

BTW: I can assure you that the level of intelligence I am referring to is not "trained" into a person. It's there at birth and obvious during the toddler years.
There was a child in my daughter's daycare class at two years old who could speak very clearly in perfect sentences. He was MILES ahead of everyone else in the class at that age. He's the only young kid I met who I believed was probably a genius of the Doogie Hauser variety. I work with a man who has an IQ in the 180's. He is incredibly brilliant, but doesn't go around telling everyone he's gifted. In fact, I heard from another person about his IQ.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:03 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Why do so many people equate gifted with profoundly gifted or "genius"?
What is wrong with having a child who isn't a genius but is "academically gifted" and why is it many people seem to think that parents of an academically gifted child can't tell the difference between the two?
It's not an all or nothing designation, there are degrees of being gifted.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:52 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,601 times
Just wrap 'em in gift-wrapping paper, drop them off at gammy's for the weekend, and get done with this thread!!!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2013, 05:52 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Pity.

The really brilliant ones can also be a challenge to be around. They don't have an "off" switch. I am in agreement with you that their intellect becomes obvious to everyone (not just the parents) when they are toddlers. It is impossible to "train" that sort of intelligence into a person.

Edited to add: When kids are forced into gifted programs that also becomes obvious at some point. When my son was in 5th grade one of the parents complained to me about how long it took her son to do the homework that he got in the gifted class. Our sons were in the same class. It took my son around half an hour to an hour to do the homework.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:58 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
I've seen this before. I think sometimes it can just be a bit of mommy delusion/'fog', best to just ignore it, it's not really harming anyone. The moms I know who have done this, never really did much spectacular themselves and liked to use their exceptional babies as proof that they were amazing mothers No harm done as long as you can stomach it.

My 2nd child is quite 'ahead', physically and mentally (as much as you can be at age 1) but my 1st was exceptionally behind (and still is), so I guess they cancel each other out and I'm average
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting