Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 PM

90 posts, read 100,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Borders closed two years ago. Interesting you can't think of a more recent example if this is such a pervasive problem to you.
I saw a child today that looked too old to be pushed but I don't have any pictures for you.

(By the way, which brand of stroller do you recommend for five-year-olds? )

Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,366,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love living foods View Post
It is NOT pointless. That is precisely my point! I feel that many adults don't walk and pass on that habit to their kids.

YES, some parents have to work and cannot take their kids to school on foot. But could parents coordinate with other parents to have one parent walk with a bunch of kids of working parents? And in less high-crime areas, why not just let your kids walk to school, especially if it's only four or five blocks away?
Quote:
I saw a child today that looked too old to be pushed but I don't have any pictures for you.

You are right! YOU are the bestest parent EVAH! Your kids will never have any issues. They'll be fit and smart and beautiful and caring...all because you walked to school! Yay you!!!!

There. Feel better?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,654,830 times
Quote:
"Make" is too strong a word but I don't know how else to say it. I see kids that seem to be three or so and still pushed in strollers.

I was at a Border's once and heard loud crying. The father was telling his son that they would NOT be taking the elevator and that he had to walk and the son wanted to be picked up.

It was one flight of stairs.

I have witnessed this more than once and I applaud parents who break the habit of carrying or pushing kids who should be exercising their legs!
Yay something new and different from a "parents who do _______ stink" thread.

Anyway, a reminder, you are looking at a snapshot and making assumptions about what is going on. You have no idea whether or not the child had a recent fall down the stairs and is still nervous, whether they have a health condition, really you just have no idea.

Maybe we could all just stop judging strangers in public for things that we have no idea about? Radical notion.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,042,199 times
Quote:

Whichever are the most comfy.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:19 PM

Your OP and follow on posts are pretty judgemental about people you may not even know. Maybe you need to be wondering "whazzup" with that. Why is it necessary?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:21 PM

90 posts, read 100,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Yay something new and different from a "parents who do _______ stink" thread.

Anyway, a reminder, you are looking at a snapshot and making assumptions about what is going on. You have no idea whether or not the child had a recent fall down the stairs and is still nervous, whether they have a health condition, really you just have no idea.

Maybe we could all just stop judging strangers in public for things that we have no idea about? Radical notion.
Then the father must be a MONSTER because he firmly told the child that he had to walk and would not be carried.

So...I guess I was correct in my observation.

Seriously, you are the vessel for your kids to come here and NOT the creator. If you use them as ego extensions, that is abusive both to them as well as you.

They are not here to make you look good.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,980,252 times
Some people can rationalize all they want. Kids today do not get enough exercise on a daily basis.
And, may I venture to say, SUV's are big fat gas hogs.
Have a nice day!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 PM

Btw...my kids are grown and we mostly walked to school. I just have been around long enough to know how a child arrives at school isn't all that important in the scheme of things.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-28-2013 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted post

Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Then the father must be a MONSTER because he firmly told the child that he had to walk and would not be carried.

So...I guess I was correct in my observation.
Again, you have no idea if you were correct or not. None of us do.

Quote:
Seriously, you are the vessel for your kids to come here and NOT the creator. If you use them as ego extensions, that is abusive both to them as well as you.

They are not here to make you look good.
What are you talking about? How is letting a child who has had a fall or a disease ride the elevator or :gasp:: picking them up, instead of making them walk up the stairs make them an ego extension?

Wait, it doesn't. I have no idea what axe you have to grind, but its showing.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Some people can rationalize all they want. Kids today do not get enough exercise on a daily basis.
And, may I venture to say, SUV's are big fat gas hogs.
Have a nice day!
My SUV gets 38 mpg. Not exactly a gas hog.

So much for generalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting