Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
.... and then keeps telling her she is lazy , stupid and a clumsy ass ....

....really upset my sister and she went home and took some aspirin .
I didn't realize my ex had another child....those sorts of comments are classic her.

Aspirin? Whiskey, girl. Good scotch whiskey. Neet. And keep the bottle handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 10:44 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The point is not that the mother was not a world class tool. There is precious little point to being a jerk back. It will have no effect on the mother in the long run. So what is the point?
No somebodynew, you are not correct. She has gone past the level of a tool, and even a tool box. And has entered the mythical land of being a toolshed . And I agree it likely will have zero effect on things. It just irked me as it seems no one is commenting on her behavior.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:57 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
No somebodynew, you are not correct. She has gone past the level of a tool, and even a tool box. And has entered the mythical land of being a toolshed . And I agree it likely will have zero effect on things. It just irked me as it seems no one is commenting on her behavior.
I think that was taken for granted.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Because it's none of our business, and there's nothing we can do.

If she'd been beating the living hell out of the child, that would be one thing. I'd be the first one to throw that heifer to the ground and teach her to beat up on somebody her own size while someone else calls 911.

But this, sometimes you have to just move on and pick your battles.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
It just irked me as it seems no one is commenting on her behavior.
The mother's?

We don't know the force of the swat. Hard to comment when we don't know if she gave the girl a real wallop or an attention getting pat on the rear or a thumping. Plus it's the classic one side of the story post. Including what the mother said to the girl. Those can lead the reader to assume the worst about the person the OP was upset with.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The mother's?

We don't know the force of the swat. Hard to comment when we don't know if she gave the girl a real wallop or an attention getting pat on the rear or a thumping. Plus it's the classic one side of the story post. Those can lead the reader to assume the worst about the person the OP was upset with.
Yah, I am pretty good with assuming the worst of that person.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Some people just lurk around looking for ways to attack OPs. There was no evidence of physical abuse - just bad parenting. It's not the same thing.
There's evidence of verbal psychological abuse. Engaging an abusive parent can cause a child to suffer the consequences later. Physical. Verbal. It doesn't matter because it's still abuse. No good comes from enraging an abuser, especially when a child is the one left to the deal with the aftermath.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-29-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 12:43 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's evidence of verbal psychological abuse. Engaging an abusive parent can cause a child to suffer the consequences later. Physical. Verbal. It doesn't matter because it's still abuse. No good comes from enraging an abuser, especially when a child is the one left to the deal with the aftermath.
There is a benefit to intervening with regard to verbal abuse. With no one taking a stand, those kids often grow to adulthood thinking that they deserve that treatment or that they are indeed worthless.

My mother was not really abusive but she was a MAJOR critic - it wore my self-esteem down to a nub and I would just take whatever she dished out. I thought it was normal. What a change in outlook I would have had if even one person had just told me she was nuts. My best friends HAVE told me they were appalled, but only long after we were grown.

From a cost-benefit analysis, I think one voice of sanity stepping in to let a child know what's happening to them isn't acceptable far outweighs any additional damage that could be done by an already verbally abusive parent heaping a little more on the pile.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:15 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The mother's?

We don't know the force of the swat. Hard to comment when we don't know if she gave the girl a real wallop or an attention getting pat on the rear or a thumping. Plus it's the classic one side of the story post. Including what the mother said to the girl. Those can lead the reader to assume the worst about the person the OP was upset with.
The swat itself I can live with. It's the extra comments added I have an issue with.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
The swat itself I can live with. It's the extra comments added I have an issue with.
As do I. Which is why I would have tried to make a connection to the girl rather than her mother. A mother who would say those words in that situation is NOT going to listen to a random stranger. Smiles are easily given and, usually, gratefully received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting