Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 04:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times

Advertisements

I think they need to talk to someone in the particular plans relevant.

Apparently many, even most, plans do not cover pregnancy for dependent daughters.

Parents’ insurance covers children up to age 26 — but not for pregnancy - The Washington Post

Now this was in 2012, but it specifically mentions what happens in 2014. So really time to call someone in the plan.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:24 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Well you know, this wont be too popular but if it was my kid I would probably say "you're on your own".

If you're old enough to bring life into the world, you're old enough to figure out how to care for it.

I've got too many friends who are currently more or less bankrupt because they continue to support their childrens STUPID decisions.

If you train your child that "mommy's always here" then they never stop being a child.

Our job is to raise healthy, self supporting human beings who contribute to society, not to raise a kidult that eats your food and lives in your basement forever more.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:28 PM

501 posts, read 933,059 times
Quote:
In the long run, putting the baby on medicaid now so they can finish college and start careers, will end up costing tax payers less.
A perhaps a very minor technical point, insurance is a minor point about whether they will be able to finish college or not. Time the baby consumes will cut into time spend on studies, and that will make it difficult to finish. Medicaid doesn't help with the fact that kids need time.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
A perhaps a very minor technical point, insurance is a minor point about whether they will be able to finish college or not. Time the baby consumes will cut into time spend on studies, and that will make it difficult to finish. Medicaid doesn't help with the fact that kids need time.
As a parent who finished undergrad and grad school with a child. It is certainly possible. Two parents and school is less time away than two parents who work. Plus you can have easier time picking alternating schedules. Also, in many schools married housing is cheaper than an off campus apartment.

Clearly it is not ideal but I am here to tell you it can and frequently does have a happy ending with hard work and support.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Abort the baby. It's tough to have a baby out of wedlock.

#balance
Yeah killing a baby is so much easier than ADOPTION. Especially for the guy. Funny how that's the "go to".

Moderator Cut

Last edited by Jaded; 09-07-2013 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: Flaming/inappropriate

Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Funny how people who know nothing want to judge. These kids have been together since 8th grade (6 years) engaged for 2. They both started working at 14. They certainly are planning a future together . Just not this soon. I would not worry too much about them living on your tax dollars.
Well YOU'RE the one who mentioned "one person" was supposed to be on birth control. So you're the one judging and introducing the irresponsibility question.

Funny how you think being on medicaid and being on parent's insurance until AGE 26 has NOTHING to do with our tax dollars.

ICYMI, my insurance plan that I worked for since age 17 at a fortune 500 company is now considered a "Cadillac" plan under Obamacare, and I will be taxed on it. To pay for YOUR kids and their "accidental" offspring.

There is virtually NO WAY to get pregnant with BOTH people simultaneously using protection. The girl could have used an IUD or diaphragm and the boy a condom. Or throw the pill in there on top of it and you have triple protection. Since self control is apparently virtually IMPOSSIBLE.

Moderator Cut

Glad you're breathing easy, tho. My suggestion is YOU adopt the baby and then the major issue will be resolved. Moderator Cut

If college was not a priority, then they should drop out and get real jobs. What would they do if they didn't have parents? Or tax payers?

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-actually-cost

Last edited by Jaded; 09-07-2013 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: This is not the POC forum

Old 09-05-2013, 11:15 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Well YOU'RE the one who mentioned "one person" was supposed to be on birth control. So you're the one judging and introducing the irresponsibility question.

Funny how you think being on medicaid and being on parent's insurance until AGE 26 has NOTHING to do with our tax dollars.

ICYMI, my insurance plan that I worked for since age 17 at a fortune 500 company is now considered a "Cadillac" plan under Obamacare, and I will be taxed on it. To pay for YOUR kids and their "accidental" offspring.

There is virtually NO WAY to get pregnant with BOTH people simultaneously using protection. The girl could have used an IUD or diaphragm and the boy a condom. Or throw the pill in there on top of it and you have triple protection. Since self control is apparently virtually IMPOSSIBLE.

Glad you're breathing easy, tho. My suggestion is YOU adopt the baby and then the major issue will be resolved.

If college was not a priority, then they should drop out and get real jobs. What would they do if they didn't have parents? Or tax payers?
Posts like this make me want to encourage them to use every free benefit available.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-07-2013 at 01:18 AM..

Old 09-05-2013, 11:24 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
As a parent who finished undergrad and grad school with a child. It is certainly possible. Two parents and school is less time away than two parents who work. Plus you can have easier time picking alternating schedules.
But are they both going to be able to just go to school? Even if health care is taken care of, they'll still need money to pay rent, bills, buy food with, and cloth the baby. Are their parents also going to provide them with the money they need to live day to day?

Old 09-05-2013, 11:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
No problem, even if married, the woman would probably be eligible for Medicaid. Prenatal.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:12 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But are they both going to be able to just go to school? Even if health care is taken care of, they'll still need money to pay rent, bills, buy food with, and cloth the baby. Are their parents also going to provide them with the money they need to live day to day?
Surprise Surprise. The young man will still be working part time jobs while finishing college and Yes BOTH sets of parents will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting