Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
BTW if you want your links to appear, I suggest you read how to correctly post them.
I know its not directed at me, but links appear in blue. Even if they aren't exactly where you want them to be its not hard to see text that is the standard color of links. Its not like the color was changed to black, they still appear as a link even when in a quote.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:20 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I know its not directed at me, but links appear in blue. Even if they aren't exactly where you want them to be its not hard to see text that is the standard color of links. Its not like the color was changed to black, they still appear as a link even when in a quote.
that's the way it looks on my view as well - preceded by "Read More:"

Some sources that you copy & paste put that postscript in to make sure the original article is linked - we all use different browsers and what not though, so maybe it views different on others

Old 09-06-2013, 10:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You seem to cherry pick. One of the sources was from a journal article. BTW if you want your links to appear, I suggest you read how to correctly post them. Yours disappear in quoted replies.

I stated one of the biggest benefits was the fact dad and I could pick non-conflicting schedules. You ignored that. An option to consider for the young couple in the OP.

I stated that my daughter only needed to go for some 12-15 hours a week once she was a year old. If you are unaware that is well below full time rates. Again, something the couple may not even need.

As for debt. We took on a decent amount of debt. Debt that allowed us to live comfortably, get our educations, get decent jobs we love, and that we paid off completely in 10 years. It was a choice we made. Just because it isn't the one you would have made does not make it the wrong choice for us, and the couple in the OP are the only ones who can decide if it is the right one for them.

Finally, you can argue all you like about the specifics but it is entirely possible for these parents to be successful, your doomsday scenarios are not particularly helpful or even meaningful to anything I have stated. I know its possible, I did it. I have a nice upper middle class lifestyle, in a nice town, with happy, healthy, well-adjusted kids in college.

Pretending that hard is the same thing as impossible is just that, pretending. But they are already pregnant, and the best thing for their family is to get their educations.
I didn't cherry pick at all.

Also, not once did I say it was impossible or anything other than difficult.

This is personal to you obviously and I believe it's clouding your view.

My "scenarios" aren't doomsday at all - just the cold reality that it's very difficult for a pair of 19 year old college student to support themselves, their child and then finish up school ........ understanding the challenges and having a realistic view of what it means to raise a newborn it's being doomsday - it's understanding the challenge so you can figure out how to best approach it - that's it

I'm glad you are doing well and again I hope the subjects of the OP will go on and do the same

Old 09-07-2013, 02:30 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
They are young. I think it's better to have the medical security right now than face some possible financial problems that they couldn't handle right now as students. They can make it legal later.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:52 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Oh yes, what an excellent reason to get married, because of a baby.
It's a pretty damn good reason to get married. In fact it's the only one in my opinion. Marriage is not just a commitment to one another but to the impending offspring. Let's see, a combining of incomes and expenses instead of having two apartments and two sets of expenses for the parents which would give a pittance of child support to the custodial parent. Marriage is the best choice. If they were good enough to have sex with then they should be good enough to face the consequences with.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:09 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
It's a pretty damn good reason to get married. In fact it's the only one in my opinion.
So - no kids, no marriage? That implies that reproduction is the only reason for marriage.

I don't have kids and wouldn't give up my marriage for the world.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:53 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe you could tell me.

I felt the sermonette about this not being the time to start a family was "locking the barn door after the horse was out". There is nothing in the OP to indicate that they don't want to be parents.
Exactly. These young people had planned on having a family. Just not yet. The original question was about insurance. There is no question about this child being loved and provided for by parents,grand parents and aunts and uncles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting