Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 05:15 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times

Advertisements

She just went out to go get ice cream and go fishing with a friend. I'm glad. Lord knows she won't have the time to do these things this time next week!

I'm thankful that I have cleaning people coming in on Tuesday to give the place a good scrub.

Wish I knew when I was going to deliver. Would have been so much easier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 05:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
She just went out to go get ice cream and go fishing with a friend. I'm glad. Lord knows she won't have the time to do these things this time next week!
She can go fishing soon after though. The best advice I ever received was from the pediatrician who told me to continue living my life and simply take the baby with me. I started fishing and hiking again when she was just a few weeks old. There's no reason she can't stop for ice cream with a baby too. The more she continues doing things she enjoys while including the baby in her activities, the less likely she'll resent being a young single mother.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She can go fishing soon after though. The best advice I ever received was from the pediatrician who told me to continue living my life and simply take the baby with me. I started fishing and hiking again when she was just a few weeks old. There's no reason she can't stop for ice cream with a baby too. The more she continues doing things she enjoys while including the baby in her activities, the less likely she'll resent being a young single mother.
That is excellent advice. When I breast fed though, I was tied to the house. I had twins and all I did was feed and pump.

She just has to remember there are some things you cannot bring a baby to.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
When I breast fed though, I was tied to the house. I had twins and all I did was feed and pump.
It will be easier with only one. She can feed and pump wherever she goes.

Quote:
She just has to remember there are some things you cannot bring a baby to.
Just parties that have drugs and alcohol. One of my son's friends grew up mountain climbing with her parents. I'm sure the thought terrifies you, but I'm just providing an example of how babies can go almost anywhere.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It will be easier with only one. She can feed and pump wherever she goes.

Just parties that have drugs and alcohol. One of my son's friends grew up mountain climbing with her parents. I'm sure the thought terrifies you, but I'm just providing an example of how babies can go almost anywhere.
Lol!!! I was thinking more along the lines of not taking a baby to the movies! They're unpredictable and do not know to keep quiet to let others enjoy the movie.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Lol!!! I was thinking more along the lines of not taking a baby to the movies! They're unpredictable and do not know to keep quiet to let others enjoy the movie.
Drive ins! Do they still exist? I don't even know if there are any in my city these days. Once she's on a good schedule, and if she has the right temperament, she might be able to do a theater too.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:06 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
Quote:
If the baby decides not to make an appearance by next Wednesday, she will be induced. I really hope she makes it here on her own.

My quiet has simply been busy!! My husband is away and my other daughters have their spring sports which keep me running. I'm trying to bank up some comp time with the new job so I can be there with my oldest when she gets home from the hospital. It was a bad time for him to be away but sometimes you just can't help where and when they send you. I really do have to thank the baby for not appearing during this. Only a few days left and he will be home after a month of being gone.

My oldest is very cranky now at the end. She just wants it over.

Depo was one if the methods I looked at but it has one major side effect. Weight gain. I know it seems petty but it would bother me too. We have an obese gene and she already has a thyroid problem that she is on meds for. It's a battle normally to keep our weight down. Doc said it's not unusual for women to pack on 20-30 lbs from that shot.

If anyone has any real experience with it, I'd love to hear from you.
I don't know what has transpired since this post from OP.

I had my youngest daughter in '99 and received Depo before leaving the hospital. At first it was great. By the end of the 3rd month I was experiencing breakthrough bleeding. I also noticed that with the 3rd month the entire year plus that I used Depo.

Not only did I experience breakthrough bleeding and weight gain but I also suffered from fatigue and depression. I was a college student as well and there were a couple times when I spent the entire day in bed and didn't attend classes. It was draining.

Things got better once I stopped the Depo. All these years later I am shocked that it is still on the market. My take home thoughts on Depo is that it is for a very young active woman with no children to care for.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes, but that's not how we do it now in 2014. And you are making assumptions about what effect it would have had on him. You'll never really know. Studies have shown it has a profound effect all round, including the man having increased respect for women in general, his partner in particular, and better attachment to the child.

Listen, I trust you and your daughter's instinct in this case but as a general rule, just not liking the guy or having judged him wanting is not a good enough reason IMO to deny him that experience.

I don't understand how people (generic) can so casually blow off the father's involvement in the birth of his child like it ain't no thing. I don't care where you are in your relationship with him. It's HIS CHILD TOO.

Men routinely express how the moment they cut their baby's cord changed them forever. Even in this thread. Yet we act like they don't count.

It IS a big deal.

And yes childbirth is intimate, personal, and graphic. But guess what, so is sex. And that particular Elvis has already left the building.
Of course it's a big deal, and in many circumstances I think the dad SHOULD be there. However, not every situation warrants him being in the room - in other words, just being the sperm donor doesn't automatically give him the right to be in the delivery room in my opinion. In some cases, bio fathers should be BARRED from the delivery room in fact.

Here's the deal - it's the woman's choice and decision. Period. In my daughter's case, they had actually already BROKEN UP before she realized she was pregnant. They had only dated two months. She didn't even like him - and birth being such an intensely intimate, personal moment, frankly she didn't want him seeing all that bidness. I hate to say it, but he was a goober then and he's STILL a goober - he never, not for one moment, has been a good father and in fact, he signed over his parental rights a few years ago (after my daughter promised him that she would not go after him for back child support - this was after he'd already been to court about it at least once and was thousands of dollars in arrears).

I think his spiked blue hair would have been distracting to her in the delivery room. And I am not even kidding about that. He was an aberration in her normally very responsible life - a fling after a three year romance with a guy who was basically THIS guy's polar opposite. She was shocked and horrified to find out she was pregnant a month after she had completely broken everything off with the bio dad.

I don't think that cutting the baby's cord would have magically turned this guy into a great dad. My daughter never denied him or his family any visitation, and in fact his mother and sisters often "got the baby" more often than the court ordered visitation the first few years. They are still welcome to be a part of her life by the way and so is her bio dad, even though he signed over his parental rights and pays no child support - but unfortunately they've all pretty much opted out by now. They haven't even talked to her in over a year and they don't even return her phone calls, which is heart breaking.

You and I will probably have to agree to disagree on this one.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Jersey, I will be thinking about you and your daughter Monday - but she may even go into labor before then...wouldn't that be exciting!

I agree with Hopes about taking that baby just about anywhere. Of course, it depends a lot on the baby's temperament. My first baby was THE WORLD'S BEST BABY. No lie. She actually didn't cry in the delivery room (of course I thought she was dead but she was just VERY CALM). She slept through the night the first night home, and a few weeks into it, I called the doctor and said, "I think there's something wrong with my baby. I have never heard her cry. She never cries. She must not have vocal cords." He said, "She's the picture of health at her well baby appointments." She literally did not cry one time (she would make little grunty noises when she was hungry) till she was FOUR months old and when she did, I took photos of it because it was the first time I'd seen tears in her eyes!

I could take that child anywhere, anytime - church, the movies, fancy restaurants - everywhere. I thought having a baby was the easiest thing in the world!

Then I had my second daughter and found that I had been lulled into a false sense of security. She screamed in the delivery room, in the hospital room, at home, in the car, everywhere. She was colicky and screamed at the top of her lungs every day from 4 pm till 7 pm no matter what we did to try to help. She woke up 3-4 times a night. She was hypersensitive to light and noise. She was allergic to milk and had to drink soy formula - but this was after WEEKS of trying to breastfeed her. She couldn't latch on well and was a very fidgety, nervous, distressed sort of baby. Topping this off, I had a jealous two year old who was also being driven crazy by the incessant crying and fussing and a baby who would wake up, fretfully, at the sound of a whisper. This went on for MONTHS! Like - nine or ten months. I thought I was going to go crazy.

Then one day, she just stopped all that. Like a light switch had been flipped. It was amazing.

She is still the most sensitive of my kids though - sort of emotionally fragile but in a sweet way. She gets her feelings hurt easily and will still tear up over the smallest things. It's endearing in a way but anyone who loves her learns very quickly to treat her gently.

Let's just say I wasn't taking kids to movies or fancy restaurants for a few years after she was born! But generally speaking, I am a big believer in packing up the kids and taking them just about anywhere.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
... and I was an anxiety ridden first time mom with a difficult baby. Let's not make her feel badly if she doesn't feel comfortable packing up and continuing her former life.

Best wishes to you on Monday and thereafter Jersey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting