Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 10:05 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She can go fishing soon after though. The best advice I ever received was from the pediatrician who told me to continue living my life and simply take the baby with me. I started fishing and hiking again when she was just a few weeks old. There's no reason she can't stop for ice cream with a baby too. The more she continues doing things she enjoys while including the baby in her activities, the less likely she'll resent being a young single mother.
Very good advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Lol!!! I was thinking more along the lines of not taking a baby to the movies! They're unpredictable and do not know to keep quiet to let others enjoy the movie.
Some of the theaters around here now have what they call "Mommy at the movies". It's a matinee showing of a new release where they encourage moms (parents really) to come see a movie and not feel bad about bringing the baby along.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:04 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Some of the theaters around here now have what they call "Mommy at the movies". It's a matinee showing of a new release where they encourage moms (parents really) to come see a movie and not feel bad about bringing the baby along.
That is a really nice idea.

I also liked the drive in but unfortunately they're very rare anymore. I really think they should make a come back.

The most I did was stroll the mall with my kids and my grandmother. I really wish my grandmother were still here. She passed 5 years ago and we all miss her terribly. The baby will have her name as the middle name and we couldn't be happier about that.

I'm flip flopping right now between being excited and nervous and just scared. Sometimes the emotions are very strong and I have to take a step back and realize that my excessive worry will help or change nothing.

I can only hope I can guide my daughter properly to be a good mother to the baby.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:14 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
When I had my baby I really enjoyed going for a walk around the shops with her in the pram and then stopping somewhere for a cup of tea when it was time for a feed (there was a really nice shop that served free tea and coffee in a secluded corner where I could breastfeed comfortably). Just walking with the pram in general was nice because babies nap really well in the fresh air and the exercise is good for getting rid of the baby weight!

Definitely try not to worry, all you can do now is wait - not long now!

Old 05-09-2014, 04:01 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I don't know what has transpired since this post from OP.

I had my youngest daughter in '99 and received Depo before leaving the hospital. At first it was great. By the end of the 3rd month I was experiencing breakthrough bleeding. I also noticed that with the 3rd month the entire year plus that I used Depo.

Not only did I experience breakthrough bleeding and weight gain but I also suffered from fatigue and depression. I was a college student as well and there were a couple times when I spent the entire day in bed and didn't attend classes. It was draining.

Things got better once I stopped the Depo. All these years later I am shocked that it is still on the market. My take home thoughts on Depo is that it is for a very young active woman with no children to care for.
I have a lot of experience with young women on Depo. Some of them DO gain significant weight. Many don't have significant weight gain. Some DO have breakthrough bleeding. Many don't. Many have light to no menstrual periods after a year on Depo, as long as they remain on it. The one side effect I have NEVER, EVER seen with Depo is PREGNANCY! I have seen women experience depression with any hormonal method, and, surprise, the IUD usually used these days is impregnated (bad but accurate word choice) with HORMONES for greater efficacy! It's dual action - both the physical presence of an IUD and the time release action of hormones. There most definitely is a greater risk of STDs causing pelvic inflammatory disease with an IUD, which is why they are usually NOT recommended for young, single women unless they are already in a committed, long-term relationship with a partner who is very unlikely to have other partners, AND they use condoms.

It's extremely unlikely that Jersey's daughter is going to have sex with anyone before the six week checkup, and I would hope that after all that this young woman has been through, that if for some unlikely reason she did, she would have her partner use a condom. It's perfectly reasonable to wait until the six week checkup to make a decision. If she's worried about weight gain, she can try going on the minipill (an all progesterone pill) for a month or two first. It's not great birth control, but it is a good trial for how one's body would respond to the Depo shot, since they're both an all progesterone method.

As I've said before, when looking for a reversible method of birth control for someone who may not be perfectly reliable about using a method, the Depo shot cannot be beaten!

Jersey, hope the delivery is fast and easy. Encourage her to use an epidural if the pain gets to be too much for her. Enjoy to the fullest every minute of seeing that baby arrive! If you're this good as a mother, handling this rough situation with your daughter so wisely, you're going to be the best grandmother a baby could ever wish for!

Old 05-09-2014, 05:13 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Lol!!! I was thinking more along the lines of not taking a baby to the movies! They're unpredictable and do not know to keep quiet to let others enjoy the movie.
I am not sure if they have this near you, but both in Ohio and here in NYC there are theaters that do an afternoon showing where women are encouraged to bring their babies, with the understanding that the babies are going to cry, scream, be babies. It's a big hit here. Movies are a nice outing and that might be nicer for her.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I have a lot of experience with young women on Depo. Some of them DO gain significant weight. Many don't have significant weight gain. Some DO have breakthrough bleeding. Many don't. Many have light to no menstrual periods after a year on Depo, as long as they remain on it. The one side effect I have NEVER, EVER seen with Depo is PREGNANCY! I have seen women experience depression with any hormonal method, and, surprise, the IUD usually used these days is impregnated (bad but accurate word choice) with HORMONES for greater efficacy! It's dual action - both the physical presence of an IUD and the time release action of hormones. There most definitely is a greater risk of STDs causing pelvic inflammatory disease with an IUD, which is why they are usually NOT recommended for young, single women unless they are already in a committed, long-term relationship with a partner who is very unlikely to have other partners, AND they use condoms.

It's extremely unlikely that Jersey's daughter is going to have sex with anyone before the six week checkup, and I would hope that after all that this young woman has been through, that if for some unlikely reason she did, she would have her partner use a condom. It's perfectly reasonable to wait until the six week checkup to make a decision. If she's worried about weight gain, she can try going on the minipill (an all progesterone pill) for a month or two first. It's not great birth control, but it is a good trial for how one's body would respond to the Depo shot, since they're both an all progesterone method.

As I've said before, when looking for a reversible method of birth control for someone who may not be perfectly reliable about using a method, the Depo shot cannot be beaten!

Jersey, hope the delivery is fast and easy. Encourage her to use an epidural if the pain gets to be too much for her. Enjoy to the fullest every minute of seeing that baby arrive! If you're this good as a mother, handling this rough situation with your daughter so wisely, you're going to be the best grandmother a baby could ever wish for!
I so completely appreciate the depo information and your kind words. Actually made me a little emotional. Thank you so much.

It's a rough road and to live in a time where there are avenues like this to chronicle this journey in an anonymous way yet still feel a connection as though there are people that care, I can't tell you what a great release this has been.

It's like a journal that talks back and gives advice. With so many different opinions I've been so educated.

The thing I've learned most is that this is not the end of the world. It's a new chapter on a different course but doesn't have to be tragedy I originally thought it was.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:59 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I took my baby to those movies, and they were wonderful. I used to meet other mommies. The sound is down and the lights are dimmed but not blackened.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
I so completely appreciate the depo information and your kind words. Actually made me a little emotional. Thank you so much.

It's a rough road and to live in a time where there are avenues like this to chronicle this journey in an anonymous way yet still feel a connection as though there are people that care, I can't tell you what a great release this has been.

It's like a journal that talks back and gives advice. With so many different opinions I've been so educated.

The thing I've learned most is that this is not the end of the world. It's a new chapter on a different course but doesn't have to be tragedy I originally thought it was.
What a beautiful thought.

Best wishes and good luck on your daughter having a safe delivery and a healthy and happy baby.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:06 PM

Exactly 12 hours from now we will be at the hospital for her to be induced.

My daughter is becoming very nervous. I should have known this was coming. She has been way too calm up until now.

We just went through the baby bag and her bag to be sure she has everything. Oh boy. She just now realized he has exactly 2 newborn onesies. I went to the dresser and found she has many 0-3 month ones. It will be fine but there was a little panic for a few.

I will report again tomorrow. Have a wonderful end to Mother's Day to all the moms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting