Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Honestly, if she qualifies for WIC for free formula...she might want to consider skipping breastfeeding in favor of better quality sleep, easier work life and the ability to hand off half the feedings to the boyfriend or other helper.

Once kids reach kindergarten, the breastfed kids are statistically indistinguishable from the formula fed kids (once maternal education and income are taken into account). My doctor told me not to bother breastfeeding because I could use the extra sleep, then she pointed me to recent research that backed it up.

Studies in the Netherlands & Eastern Europe show that breast feeding positive outcomes are mainly limited to less infant ear infections and diarrhea. The supposed IQ boost and immune system stuff is not holding up to scrutiny in the carefully designed studies. Check out the "Skeptical OB" blog for breast feeding study links and or read "Is Breast Best?" by Joan B Wolf.

A mother's college education has more positive impact on a baby's long term development than breastfeeding, per many studies. She's less likely to drop out of school or end of with post-natal depression if she exclusively formula feeds.

When new mothers have problems breastfeeding it can lead to loss of confidence, and that's the last thing she needs. You had that experience yourself, so you know what I'm talking about.
I did! And I can laugh about it now. I went to the doc after the mastitis was gone and asked him to give me a shot to get my milk going again. It doesn't exist!!! Who knew!!!

Not me, that's for sure.

And when the baby is first born a new mom lacks confidence anyway. I plan to take some vacation time to help her the first few days. She doesn't know his but if her plan is to keep it, I will be there for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 07:43 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
WIC isn't only income based. There has to be a medical reason to qualify too.
"Nutrition Risk" counts as a medical reason, which can be declared when the pregnant woman or mother claims to not be able to afford fresh vegetables and milk due to low income. In other words, the "medical qualification" is essentially poverty.

From the WIC website:
Quote:
Applicants must be seen by a health professional such as a physician, nurse, or nutritionist who must determine whether the individual is at nutrition risk. In many cases, this is done in the WIC clinic at no cost to the applicant. However, this information can be obtained from another health professional such as the applicant's physician.

"Nutrition risk" means that an individual has medical-based or dietary-based conditions. Examples of medical-based conditions include anemia (low blood levels), underweight, or history of poor pregnancy outcome. A dietary-based condition includes, for example, a poor diet.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
And when the baby is first born a new mom lacks confidence anyway. I plan to take some vacation time to help her the first few days. She doesn't know his but if her plan is to keep it, I will be there for her.
I'll never forget the day I came home with my first child. I started crying when I realized I didn't know how to make formula. It was premixed in the hospital. After being in the hospital for 5 days with zero sleep, I was in no condition to read the instructions on the formula container. My brain was in a fog. Thankfully, my BIL was waiting at my house. He had all of the bottles sterilized, and he taught me how to mix the formula. I know it sounds pathetic. I was in my late 20s. I thought I planned for everything.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I did! And I can laugh about it now. I went to the doc after the mastitis was gone and asked him to give me a shot to get my milk going again. It doesn't exist!!! Who knew!!!

Not me, that's for sure.

I had problems with post-natal depression after my first pregnancy, and it was rough. I was in my 30s and happily married, I can't imagine being 19 and feeling the same horrible black cloud of anxiety descend over me.

It would have been 10 times worse if I'd have been breastfeeding. Thank God I had a sensitive and compassionate doctor who told me to dump the guilt and do what works for my family!!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
"Nutrition Risk" counts as a medical reason, which can be declared when the pregnant woman or mother claims to not be able to afford fresh vegetables and milk due to low income. In other words, the "medical qualification" is essentially poverty.
Not really. Poor diet isn't simply poverty. There has to be evidence of a poor diet in the height/weight, blood work, etc. She won't qualify by simply saying she has a poor diet. Let's be realistic. I'm sure Jersey feeds her daughter a healthy diet.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I'll never forget the day I came home with my first child. I started crying when I realized I didn't know how to make formula. It was premixed in the hospital. After being in the hospital for 5 days with zero sleep, I was in no condition to read the instructions on the formula container. My brain was in a fog. Thankfully, my BIL was waiting at my house. He had all of the bottles sterilized, and he taught me how to mix the formula. I know it sounds pathetic. I was in my late 20s. I thought I planned for everything.
Oh boy, do I remember that!!

My son wizzed when I was holding his legs up wiping a poo on the changing table. Some of the pee squirted into his mouth. I started sobbing hysterically, yelling "What kind of mother lets her son pee in his own mouth?! Whaaaaaaa!!" My husband thought I'd completely lost my mind! He grabbed the baby wipe right out of my hand and said, "Honey, go to bed right now!"

I don't think anyone is ever really ready for a baby when they have their first.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Well, can't you try convincing your daughter to let this boy and/or this boy's parents have primary custody of this child? Is your daughter willing to pay child support for this child whenever necessary (it does appear like she is, but I just want to make sure)?

EDIT: I was just told by another user that your daughter should not let this boy and/or this boy's parents have sole custody, but rather, primary custody. I am not an expert on this topic (seeing as how I am currently childless), but I strongly appreciate this user's advice.
How do you even know they would want to do that?

Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
How do you even know they would want to do that?
Futurist never said he/she knew. It was simply offered as a possible option to explore.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
I just wanted to chime in and let you know how important your support is.

I was a teen mom. At 17 I was out living on my own and got pregnant (despite being on Depo). I had no college education, was working for minimum wage and was pregnant by my boyfriend - it was a recipe for disaster, but thankfully I had the emotional support from my mom and my boyfriend's (now husband's) mom.

They didnt help us out financially, but they were there to help us succeed and did occasionally help with hand me downs and babysitting every few weeks for a couple hours.

Thanks to thier support we were able to figure it out. My husband finished college first. He used his GI bill to attend classes online and stayed home with the baby while I worked. After finishing, I enrolled and received my AA. We are still together, have good jobs (pay lots of taxes!) and have a wonderful teenage daughter who is very close to her Grandmas.

Things can go wrong and they probably will. It's not easy, but with your support she can have the best possible chances to succeed - good luck.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:33 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Futurist never said he/she knew. It was simply offered as a possible option to explore.
Which is why I asked that .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting