Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 08:06 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I am a teacher and it's a great profession to do while raising a family. The bigger question is ... Can she be hired in your area? I'm in Texas and we recruit many teachers from the Midwest and northeast.

The good thing is that there are lots of night classes offered because some practicing teachers are the professors. I really appreciated a flexible schedule when I was putting myself through school.
It is a good profession as long as you're not doing special ed. There are so many of those and a lot of what they are labeling as such aren't really in need of anything but more discipline at home.

There's a huge push from parents to have a label put on their child to explain their behavior but that's another topic.

She did go to community college. Free. She earned it in high school. It's time to move on to her next school. She has just 2 classes left here before she moves on.

She'd like to go to a school that's about 30-40 minutes away which is completely workable. She will do what I did and take classes 2 days per week if feasible with the school schedule.

I have a great relationship with the public early childhood school here and they would definitely take her for subbing. Obviously I'm not talking right now. She has her job to return to and school to figure out but the plan is good. Now she has to follow through with it.

The doctor visit went great! My EKG hasn't changed. My cholesterol is down to 215!!! That's from 300. I am ecstatic.
We are running another test on my heart just to be sure it's all good.
The stress is what he thinks is my pain. Just muscle tightening. He thinks if the test comes back okay I will need to do something different to manage my stress. It really is unavoidable.

I will be just fine and feel great being proactive about it.

I'm truly not letting anyone get to me. If they aren't contributing to my life than what they say derrogatorily simply doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post

My cholesterol is down to 215!!! That's from 300. I am ecstatic.
Well done!

Old 07-16-2014, 08:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Xanax is not the preferred drug. You need to let the MDs make these decisions with Jersey.
So she's not allowed to share her knowledge? Obviously Jersey will see a doc about it. It's prescription medication. That doesn't mean a knowledgeable poster can't share some basic info.

Jersey, I hope you find a treatment that works with minimal side effects.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:36 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,387,150 times
Quote:
It is a good profession as long as you're not doing special ed. There are so many of those and a lot of what they are labeling as such aren't really in need of anything but more discipline at home.

There's a huge push from parents to have a label put on their child to explain their behavior but that's another topic.

She did go to community college. Free. She earned it in high school. It's time to move on to her next school. She has just 2 classes left here before she moves on.

She'd like to go to a school that's about 30-40 minutes away which is completely workable. She will do what I did and take classes 2 days per week if feasible with the school schedule.

I have a great relationship with the public early childhood school here and they would definitely take her for subbing. Obviously I'm not talking right now. She has her job to return to and school to figure out but the plan is good. Now she has to follow through with it.

The doctor visit went great! My EKG hasn't changed. My cholesterol is down to 215!!! That's from 300. I am ecstatic.
We are running another test on my heart just to be sure it's all good.
The stress is what he thinks is my pain. Just muscle tightening. He thinks if the test comes back okay I will need to do something different to manage my stress. It really is unavoidable.

I will be just fine and feel great being proactive about it.

I'm truly not letting anyone get to me. If they aren't contributing to my life than what they say derrogatorily simply doesn't matter.
That's great news about her getting some college credit already.

I know the pitfalls of spec ed. I have stayed home the last two school years because I started getting a third of my class as spec ed and the rest a mix of ESL, gifted, and other health impaired. Then they wanted to transfer me to a spec ed position full time. We were moving for my husbands job and I decided to take a break for a bit. I hate how they put all the spec ed kids in one class and overload a teacher. Some teachers don't care, but it follow their IEPs to the letter of the law and beyond. I care and worry about those kids too much.

Sorry...off topic. Tell her to stay away from SE. It can burn teachers out and should be rotated.

Reading is a wonderful specialty and is in high demand in my area, as well as English as a second language.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:09 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,233 times
Glad your doctor visit was good, hopefully you can find a way to manage your stress that you are comfortable with. And it sounds like your daughter has a good plan - she seems to be doing really well and you can be very proud of that.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:54 PM

She finally got the appointment for the test. She found out the hold up was that he hadn't paid for it yet. Apparently they won't schedule it until paid.

She goes Tuesday.

This should help things along now.

She told him after talking to the attorney that he said there was to be no further communication until after the test results. He has continued to text her on a schedule. He told her he didn't care what the attorney said and he didn't need to listen to him.

Whatever. I guess he wants to just be in control like his dad.

I told her to let him know that she has told him not to contact her and he needs to respect her wishes. He said no.

Instead of causing all kinds of problems, she blocked his number until the results come back.

Opinions?

Old 07-18-2014, 06:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
I think she's good. He can't have it both ways - implying the baby might not be his and delaying the testing that would prove the point, and at the same time demanding a visitation schedule. Pick one and act accordingly.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:04 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
Quote:
She finally got the appointment for the test. She found out the hold up was that he hadn't paid for it yet. Apparently they won't schedule it until paid.

She goes Tuesday.

This should help things along now.

She told him after talking to the attorney that he said there was to be no further communication until after the test results. He has continued to text her on a schedule. He told her he didn't care what the attorney said and he didn't need to listen to him.

Whatever. I guess he wants to just be in control like his dad.

I told her to let him know that she has told him not to contact her and he needs to respect her wishes. He said no.

Instead of causing all kinds of problems, she blocked his number until the results come back.

Opinions?
This isn't a bad short term way to handle things. Just make sure that she knows it's going to change once the test results come back.....probably for the better....but that remains to be seen.

I really think that his young man wouldn't be the jerk that he is without his father saying things in the background...I wonder what the father is going to come up with next.

You and your daughter are doing things well above board.....that will pay off in the long run.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 PM

Yes, let me clarify. The block will only be on until the results come back. Then it is to be removed for them to discuss proceeding from there. This was her decision on how to handle it.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
I'm starting to worry about this boy and his attitude. Not to be funny but I really hope he wouldn't do anything to hurt your daughter or the baby. I'm seeing some troubling behaviors emerging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting