Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 08:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
My friend aly's baby had a crud load of medical issues, and she kept going.
Who supported her financially?

Who watched her baby while she went to school? Most daycare centers don't allow sick children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
19 = adult. My wife was 19 when she got pregnant. You either pull you **** together and do what it takes to raise the kids, or you don't. If you did your job and raised her right, then she should be able to step up and do what is necessary.
Our 8 year old is top of her class. I've been doing what it takes to keep up in the middle class since she got pregnant. She's been taking care of the kids.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:19 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Who supported her financially?

Who watched her baby while she went to school? Most daycare centers don't allow sick children.
She and her husband both work, and go to school. They switch off on watching the baby based on who is home at the time. Obviously sometimes his parents watch him from time to time. My point was that just because they are having a baby doesn't mean all plans get put on hold.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
She and her husband both work, and go to school. They switch off on watching the baby based on who is home at the time. Obviously sometimes his parents watch him from time to time. My point was that just because they are having a baby doesn't mean all plans get put on hold.
There is no guarantee that the OP's daughter will be living with the father of the baby. I do agree that not all plans need to be put on hold, but it will be significantly harder for her if she ends up a single parent.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
19 = adult. My wife was 19 when she got pregnant. You either pull you **** together and do what it takes to raise the kids, or you don't. If you did your job and raised her right, then she should be able to step up and do what is necessary.
Our 8 year old is top of her class. I've been doing what it takes to keep up in the middle class since she got pregnant. She's been taking care of the kids.
Well this is more blunt than how I would have said it.

There's two choices. Abort, or start a family. Both can be good choices. Only your daughter can determine what the best choice is for her. She's 19 and should be able to reason with pros and cons.

I'm somewhat surprised that the OP doesn't trust her own parenting skills and feels she may have brought up an irresponsible child.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
This is not a time for tough love. These things happen, ask your daughter what she expects and wants to happen. If she wants to stay at home, have the baby, and you are opposed to that, explain why.

I had my daughter get an Implanton, so this would not happen to me. I don't know why more parents don't do this. She can get another one in five years. No missed pills, or forget the condom...

Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm somewhat surprised that the OP doesn't trust her own parenting skills and feels she may have brought up an irresponsible child.
That's unfair. Most 19 year olds aren't mature enough to be parents.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:53 PM

59 posts, read 98,637 times
Please talk to your daughter about the possibility of a special needs child. Four friends of mine had children in their teens and two of the four moms had special needs children. One was born "healthy" and then was diagnosed with a neurological disorder. He is 16 now and has spent his life in a wheelchair. He doesn't speak, is not toilet trained and needs a tremendous amount of care. My other friend had two autistic children (she had them at 19 and 20) and was completely overwhelmed to say the least.
I had my oldest at 22. He was born with a heart defect that finally closed when he was 3. I spent the first year of his life in and out of hospitals.
My second child had asthma and had us up all night, driving to the ER sometimes a few times a month in the middle of the night. I'd get home at 5am and then have to be at work at 9am. No sleep those nights!
Sometimes teens have an unrealistic view of parenting.
A child, whether special needs or not can put even the best relationships/marriages to the test.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:55 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
FWIW, you might want to consider asking the extended family on both sides if they are able to help out. (Either of the new parents' uncles, aunts, etc). Just putting it out there as an option.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:51 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's unfair. Most 19 year olds aren't mature enough to be parents.
And the reason for that is failed parenting. So I'm not certain that these same parents think they know what's best for another adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting