Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:26 PM

46 posts, read 93,439 times

Advertisements

I don't understand our society's obsession with wean, wean, wean, make them independant, independant, independant as soon as humanly possible. I was not weaned until age two (shock horror) and I'm just fine, college educated, successful. Sorry, it just bugs me that we (and I'm talking about certain "professionals") feel the need to rush babies into warp speed mode. Ok, I'm getting off my soapbox now.

One technique I have seen used (either the nanny show or dr. phil, can't remember) that worked amazing was used with a girl who was very attached to her bottle. What they did was have a sippy cup party and made a big deal about it. They allowed her to use the bottle but only with water. Juice and milk was given in the sippy cup. She fussed the first couple of days, but they stuck to it, and pretty soon she lost interest in the bottle. Then they tossed it. HTH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 07:38 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara78 View Post
I don't understand our society's obsession with wean, wean, wean, make them independant, independant, independant as soon as humanly possible. I was not weaned until age two (shock horror) and I'm just fine, college educated, successful. Sorry, it just bugs me that we (and I'm talking about certain "professionals") feel the need to rush babies into warp speed mode. Ok, I'm getting off my soapbox now.

One technique I have seen used (either the nanny show or dr. phil, can't remember) that worked amazing was used with a girl who was very attached to her bottle. What they did was have a sippy cup party and made a big deal about it. They allowed her to use the bottle but only with water. Juice and milk was given in the sippy cup. She fussed the first couple of days, but they stuck to it, and pretty soon she lost interest in the bottle. Then they tossed it. HTH
I agree with you to a point, but the problem is the older they are when you try to take it away, the more attached they are. I met a lady the other day that breastfed exclusively until 7 months and then straight to a sippy cup. She NEVER had a problem because the child never knew what a bottle was. What they need to learn is the a bottle or a cup is just a mode of transport for their drinks. It is not meant to be something to calm their nerves or sooth them to sleep. That's where mine has the main issue because no matter what, he falls asleep when he's drinking his bottle. This makes it tough to even get him to think of the cup as a just a drinking tool.

A couple people have suggested just going "cold turkey" but this child would go the whole day pretty much without his drink. Which of course has me worried he will get dehydrated. We are going to start what you've suggested, just using the bottle for water. Then next week, we're going to stop the bottle as far as we can handle it anyway.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:44 AM

919 posts, read 3,184,906 times
I met a woman once who breastfeed her two year old ...she just pulled it right out in the library for all to see and breastfed him in front of everyone...it was akward to say the least!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
I met a woman once who breastfeed her two year old ...she just pulled it right out in the library for all to see and breastfed him in front of everyone...it was akward to say the least!
I met a different lady that said rather non chalantly that she breastfed her oldest until she was 3. IMO- breastfeeding a child until they are so old is more of the mothers preference than the childs.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 AM

46 posts, read 93,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
I have never whipped it out for the world to see, but I have breastfed my 4 month old in public fully covered. I once had someone come up to me and tell me I need to go in the bathroom to do it. I told him I would be glad to if he would eat his lunch in the bathroom too.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:56 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
2 kids.. My son was "addicted" to the bottle. Can't remember how old he was but it was after 2. He has a white line on his teeth between the teeth & gums that looks like he has a lot of plaque, but he doesn't. I wish I would have pulled the bottle away from him a lot sooner.

With my daughter, since there were big kids around, the bottle was easier to give up, she was fine with a cup, the worst problem I had was her pulling the nipples out of the bottles, & chewing the sippy cup lids. She also loved to throw what ever drink she had in her hand. I was so glad when they made stoppers.

The pacifier was another story. My daughter is very high strung like me, the blanket & pacifier were the only thing that calmed her down. She's now 14 and has braces on her teeth. The dentist warned me when she was little to take it away but I didn't. Close to 2 years, $2,000 later and at least 1 trip to the orthodontist every month and she will have her straight teeth.

Quote:
I was watching Jon & Kate +8 the other night, it was never before seen footage where they gave their pacifiers to their cousin on their 3rd (think it was 3rd) birthday. Kate was giving it to them at nap / bedtime and told them for a while they would be getting rid of them when tthey turned 3. They each put them in ziplock bags, were all allowed one last suck before they handed them to their aunt. Kate said they never asked for them again.

The OP may be able to use Valentines day as a good time to give it up. There's usually neat holiday stuff at Walmart, maybe some sort of cup or something with hearts which may motivate him to give it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
The silicone ones he just chews on
When you say silicone.. do you mean ones like these? These are similar to what my son's friends boy uses here but mine are from a few years ago with a white lid.

Quote:
A couple people have suggested just going "cold turkey" but this child would go the whole day pretty much without his drink. Which of course has me worried he will get dehydrated. We are going to start what you've suggested, just using the bottle for water. Then next week, we're going to stop the bottle as far as we can handle it anyway.
Have you tried to find the water bottle spout? Curious if anyone else has seen / tried them.

Your son is 13 1/2 months old. You have from now until May to try to wean him if you feel you need to. Some kids even though they will use a cup will still want a bottle when the new baby comes.. happened to my neighbor. She stayed strong, let the kid try the formula bottle, which tasted nasty since they were used to better tasting stuff & never had a problem again.

Are there any older kids around that your son looks up to? If he sees another older kid using a sippy or big boy cup he may try to use one too.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
With my daughter, since there were big kids around, the bottle was easier to give up, she was fine with a cup, the worst problem I had was her pulling the nipples out of the bottles, & chewing the sippy cup lids. She also loved to throw what ever drink she had in her hand. I was so glad when they made stoppers.

I think this is his problem on a few levels actually. He's very outgoing and loves people. He's even getting so when someone is on the phone, he'll try to talk rather than just listen and hang up on them. He has never been to daycare though, and I just can't bring myself to put him in there. We're going to start at Gymboree again after the holidays so he can be around other kids more. He'll be 14 months soon and can stand up but we can't seem to motivate him to take the first step.

When you say silicone.. do you mean ones like

Have you tried to find the water bottle spout? Curious if anyone else has seen / tried them.

I mean the Nuby ones that are clear and flexible and spill proof but don't use a stopper. I've had to take it away actually because he ends up with whatever is in it all over the front of him, and if it's milk or juice it gets pretty gross. He's just getting over a cold so we can start working on taking the bottle away more and more but with a cup that has a hard spout.

Someone on here has mentioned the water bottle spout and left a link to it, but I have yet to find it in the stores. If I hold a water bottle for him, he loves to drink out of it so it would be great if I could find he can use himself.

[B]Your son is 13 1/2 months old. You have from now until May to try to wean him if you feel you need to. Some kids even though they will use a cup will still want a bottle when the new baby comes

All the more reason to do it sooner rather than later, and that it's starting to feel like the longer we wait, the more he's going to resist. I'm feeling very envious of anyone that got their kid off the bottle before a year, because they saved themselves a lot of trouble and probably did the kid a favor anyway. Ours stopped really wanting the pacifier by the time he was 6 months and now if he finds one, will just chew on it. To be honest, atleast we could have taken that away without him risking dehydration.

What can I say besides he is our first and we don't know a lot of people around here, so noone really to get advise from that's been through it except on here. Although very helpful, if a person knows the child, they can better judge ways to encourage behavior.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:36 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
All the more reason to do it sooner rather than later, and that it's starting to feel like the longer we wait, the more he's going to resist. I'm feeling very envious of anyone that got their kid off the bottle before a year, because they saved themselves a lot of trouble and probably did the kid a favor anyway.
They know things now that they didn't back when my son was little. I guess it's why I try things when I have someone else's kid here.

Quote:
What can I say besides he is our first and we don't know a lot of people around here, so noone really to get advise from that's been through it except on here. Although very helpful, if a person knows the child, they can better judge ways to encourage behavior.
Take a look where you food shop, they may have different cups. Knowing myself, I would try one of each kind.

Does he like to use a straw? My daughter loved those types of cups. I started her with putting my finger on the straw, then would put the straw in her mouth and slowly take my finger off. If you are using his favorite drink, he might like that. Start using a straw for yourself, let him see you drink with one, he may be curious.

Cups my kids / neighbors kids liked:

Spiderman set

Straw drinkers

this one looks like a bottle

I looked online to see if Tupperware still made the tumblers. They had a fire in their warehouse so the site doesn't look like they have everything.

Just found the actual cups I have tumbler with sippy lid. If you google Tumble Mates 7 Oz. Trainer Tumblers, it will bring up more entries. Think I'll get some for my son's friends before they discontinue them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting