Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 09:11 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
My sons and daughters, all in their 20s, were over at the house the other day and we were talking about tattoos. None of them have a tattoo YET but they may get one or more soon all due to peer pressure. They are practically being harassed by family, friends, coworkers and neighbors, who have tattoos, to get one. They all said it is the thing to do, everyone has one and you are an outsider if you don't have one or more tattoos.

Are your adult kids getting a lot of peer pressure to get tattoos?
My son is 19 and has no desire to get a tattoo. A few of his friends have tattoos but most of them don't. I would think that as adults it is their decision to get one, or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 01:01 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Lord have mercy you should come to Hawaii. EVERYONE has them EVERYWHERE! And the tots have the lick and stick on tattoos for practice.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Problem is that all of these kids getting tattoos think they are being original, creative and expressing their individuality. How ironic.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:27 AM

507 posts, read 916,814 times
I don't see the problem here. Tattoos can be beautiful. And I have absolutely zero concerns about my socioeconomic status.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
My sons and daughters, all in their 20s, were over at the house the other day and we were talking about tattoos. None of them have a tattoo YET but they may get one or more soon all due to peer pressure. They are practically being harassed by family, friends, coworkers and neighbors, who have tattoos, to get one. They all said it is the thing to do, everyone has one and you are an outsider if you don't have one or more tattoos.

Are your adult kids getting a lot of peer pressure to get tattoos?
I thought you would have grown out of that stage once you reached your 20's.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:04 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
I like tattoos on guys. I think it is sexy...lol. My dad associates tattoos with criminals. My sister has one that she regrets and I really really want one but Im too much of a chicken.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:13 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
Just because tattoos aren't your particular cup of tea, doesn't mean that they are inherently bad. You object to tattoos because they are an attempt to stand out from the crowd, and that such a thing is vanity, right? When you get dressed for the day, do you make sure that everyone in your household wears exactly the same thing? Do you all have the same hair color and hair style? Do you wear jewelry, hats, etc? Because unless everyone in your sphere of influence looks exactly alike, then you're guilty of the same thing you're harping on about tattoos.
Following fashion versus disfigurement.
Big difference.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:21 PM

507 posts, read 916,814 times
Tattoos are a great way to self identify and easily classify people based on their reaction.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:57 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
I don't see the problem here. Tattoos can be beautiful. And I have absolutely zero concerns about my socioeconomic status.
I told my kids that some tattoos are beautiful but they are so very permanent. People change and what they think is so beautiful in their 20s will look ugly to them in their 30s.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:30 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
If your 20 year old has not become bullet proof to peer pressure yet, they need to figure that out... like yesterday.
I agree with you. My twenties are long behind me, but I do remember several occasions when I went against the tide of fads, etc. I think this was the time when you were put to the test of being an independent adult.

But in all fairness, the last two generations of American have been raised in a culture that has made a fetish of being a teenager as long as possible and of following all manner of fads well into your middle twenties and beyond. And intellectual development is scorned. Growing up and acting as an independent adult are anathema now. So the OP's kids are probably being subject to much more severe pressure than I was, both from their peers and the culture.

I would never want to have been a teenager or young adult since the Eighties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting