Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:38 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
It served as a wake up call that something which looks great to you may look absurd or offensive to others.

He didn't force her to do or not do anything. He helped her see things from a viewpoint other than her own extremely limited 19 year old one. How on earth people can find a father encouraging his daughter to consider not wearing buttcheek short in public to be a bad thing is beyond me.
But chances are she doesn't actually look absurd in them, so his lesson makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:40 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Not really. The way someone dresses counts for something and generally sets the tone in either a school or a workplace. With all those hormones floating around among teenagers, I think it only makes sense for kids to dress conservatively in school if you expect them to be paying attention to the teacher and learning. Actually, I prefer kids in public schools wear uniforms and we could put an end to problems like "short-shorts" in one swoop.

*Note. I am LDS and I am from Utah, too.
But we are talking about a 19 year old, not a high school student. By that age if you haven't taught your daughter to dress how you want her to dress, nothing is going to change. Most kids at that age are going to be moving out of the house in a year or two. Are they aslo going to try and control what she wears when she moves out? She is an adult, its time to let her make decisions on her own. That does not mean trying to embarrass her in public if she doesn't do exactly what you want her to do.

Also, she was wearing shorts to go eat dinner, play mini golf and get ice cream with her family. Just because a teenager wears shorts for an evening out with the family doesn't mean she doesn't know how to properly dress for other situations such as work.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But we are talking about a 19 year old, not a high school student. By that age if you haven't taught your daughter to dress how you want her to dress, nothing is going to change. Most kids at that age are going to be moving out of the house in a year or two. Are they aslo going to try and control what she wears when she moves out? She is an adult, its time to let her make decisions on her own. That does not mean trying to embarrass her in public if she doesn't do exactly what you want her to do.

Also, she was wearing shorts to go eat dinner, play mini golf and get ice cream with her family. Just because a teenager wears shorts for an evening out with the family doesn't mean she doesn't know how to properly dress for other situations such as work.
I think that is the crux of this guys issues, and not a life lesson on how dressing makes people judge you.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I think that is the crux of this guys issues, and not a life lesson on how dressing makes people judge you.
Exactly

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 AM

784 posts, read 1,981,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
If I see a good looking girl in short shorts I think nothing of it. Normal behavior!
If I see a man in short shorts I either think he is going to a gay bar or that he is a little crazy.
Lesson learned, move out of house, your dad is crazy.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
The funny thing is, these look like shorts men used to wear in up until the early 1990s. Then, Micahel Jordan, the top male pop culture icon of the time, comes along and wants to wear long shorts on the basketball court and the Rap-Hip-hop and Young Urban Movement happened and wearing long shorts for a guy became a cultural requirement. Anyway, I do think the girl was old enough to make her own decisions, but I understand and can respect where the father was coming from.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
I love this! My own daughter tried to wear a loose tank top style shirt without an undershirt. (How it is meant to be worn.) She argued with me and I made her change. The next day, the same shirt came out. I said nothing, but went and put a loose yoga top on without a bra. There was side boob going on. She freaked out when I grabbed my keys to take her out.

No arguments since then. She only wears that shirt with an undershirt. Mom wins.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:25 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
I think what the father was trying to demonstrate to his daughter was...you embarrass me when you dress in this manner when we go out as a family...this (dad wearing short/shorts) is what it feels like to be embarrassed...do you enjoy feeling this way???

Old 09-13-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I think what the father was trying to demonstrate to his daughter was...you embarrass me when you dress in this manner when we go out as a family...this (dad wearing short/shorts) is what it feels like to be embarrassed...do you enjoy feeling this way???
No, he said it was because he and his wife preferred modest dressing. Her shorts really aren't anything a normal teen girl doesn't wear, so I don't see what he would be embarrassed about. I think the reality is that mom, and dad are irked that their little girl is growing up, and does not see eye to eye on them in the modesty department.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:59 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,794,657 times
OK, I have now finished reading this whole story, and I will stay this: Kudos to this man!

As a side note, he looks pretty yummy for an older guy in short shorts. I wonder if any gay guys got turned on by him when they saw him wearing these delicious short shorts.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
OK, I have now finished reading this whole story, and I will stay this: Kudos to this man!

As a side note, he looks pretty yummy for an older guy in short shorts. I wonder if any gay guys got turned on by him when they saw him wearing these delicious short shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting