Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Those same people usually have had tech around that builds on itself though. Very few people grow up with zero technological exposure their whole lives. So they really aren't starting from ground zero.
Yes, but if you have any kind of telephone, even a rotary dial, it's not really any leap to go to an iPhone. The 1980s contrary to popular opinion wasn't really stone-age technology, there was already indoor plumbing, telephones were already invented, some people even had televisions and radios. There were even kids playing video type games way way back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 10:10 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Living in 1986 wasn't that bad. I remember driving a car, getting a haircut at the salon, buying groceries in a store. Not too bad "back then." Hehe. And, even taking a class, where, gasp, we had to read from a textbook and take actual notes on paper. We made it through. Ha.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:37 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, but if you have any kind of telephone, even a rotary dial, it's not really any leap to go to an iPhone. The 1980s contrary to popular opinion wasn't really stone-age technology, there was already indoor plumbing, telephones were already invented, some people even had televisions and radios. There were even kids playing video type games way way back then.
That's pretty much what I just told you .

Old 09-15-2013, 11:47 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
That's pretty much what I just told you .
I wasn't clear on your post then -- my apologies -- I took it to mean that you need the earlier iPhones to be able to catch on to the iPhone 5.

I realized not too long ago that my kids were a bit deprived growing up because they had never seen a record. I had some old record albums and my teenage son was simply amazed at the technology of it, was fascinated by the groves and the needle of the record player and the fact that it could get the sound off the record disk. He kept referring to it as the big black cd's. I really didn't realize that many kids today never saw or really heard of record players and some have never heard of 8 track tapes.

Since my dad was into Model A cars, they did get to see how cars used to be at one time.

In the very old days, it was common for kids to play in the attic and actually see stuff from the past.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:02 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
I wasn't clear on your post then -- my apologies -- I took it to mean that you need the earlier iPhones to be able to catch on to the iPhone 5.

I realized not too long ago that my kids were a bit deprived growing up because they had never seen a record. I had some old record albums and my teenage son was simply amazed at the technology of it, was fascinated by the groves and the needle of the record player and the fact that it could get the sound off the record disk. He kept referring to it as the big black cd's. I really didn't realize that many kids today never saw or really heard of record players and some have never heard of 8 track tapes.

Since my dad was into Model A cars, they did get to see how cars used to be at one time.

In the very old days, it was common for kids to play in the attic and actually see stuff from the past.
No, I mean the fact is no one is going from the stone age right to the iPhone is all. Now likely it wouldn't matter anyway, since due to friends, and school, they would likely be exposed to technology anyway. But I don't think this family is doing this for the benefit family as much as it's for some level of publicity. Or they are just a bit touched in the head. I've read about plenty of families who have given up tech in their lives for a year, but that's only on a home level. Outside of the house, they obviously use it for work, and don't let it affect their livelihood. Or decide you can only have hair cuts in style in 1986 o.O.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:37 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Playing pretend. That's what they are doing and they are doing it for themselves because they get a kick out of it. They could just as easily live like it's 2013 and limit things, like good parents did in 1986 (yes, even then we limited things). But I don't care about these people so whatever.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
I think it's kind of cool -- sort of like the Amish but a different decade with a lot more stuff.

My brother still has an Atari game player in his living room and my kids think it's the best thing ever but then my brother makes sure to tell them that Atari games are way better than the newer stuff.

It's not as though by living in the 80s that you are going to freak out if you ever see an iPhone or Xbox player. A lot of people grew up without the gadgets that have come out in the last couple years and they've caught onto them quickly. And this is not super-primitive like it would be having kids live like people did in the 70s or 60s. Imagine!!!

It does not harm kids to not have iPhones and iPads. In fact it's still good to introduce young children to books (gasp!) and crayons and all the old stuff.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Living in 1986 wasn't that bad. I remember driving a car, getting a haircut at the salon, buying groceries in a store. Not too bad "back then." Hehe. And, even taking a class, where, gasp, we had to read from a textbook and take actual notes on paper. We made it through. Ha.
^^This.
I remember 1986; I had one child and was pregnant with another. You kind of hit in on the head, malamute, with the "Amish" comment. Their founder decided no technology that had been invented after the founding of that religion was OK. (I know, things have changed a bit for the Amish since then.) Anyway, "advanced" people even had answering machines back then. They were far more primitive than what we have now, but I'd be a lot of people still use them. In fact, I know a lot still use the old fashioned kind b/c I have a job where I have to leave a lot of phone messages and I can tell when I get a real old one.

The biggest changes since 1986, as I see it, are the internet and cell phones. And to those who say they grew up w/o a cell, why does their kid need one, as technology changes, society changes. Remember the old banks of pay phones in airports? You don't see those now, b/c most people have a cell. So maybe your kid does need a cell to stay safe when out driving, etc. You can still turn the durn thing off if you don't want someone to contact you. Obviously those of us online here have and like the internet.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting