Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 07:46 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times

Advertisements

This one is hard for me. I know that kids need a head start as much as possible with computers, but I prefer them actually up and playing. Which they do a lot. We haven't had cable for 7 years, my daughter is 8. They are active all day and very healthy.
I Only got to use computers once in a while as a kid, at school once a week. I've built several computers and mess with them all the time now BUT I'm not nearly as good as other people.

I know the world is moving towards computers (understatement of the year) but I'd like to give them a fun childhood.

I did, for a bit, let my daughter use my laptop when she behaved more than usual. Well, the viruses!!!!!
Now she's in k12 (online school) so she has to use the laptop for school.

I know she will want her own pc soon, but she's out of luck. She'll get to use the laptop in the living room until college.
Too many vulnerabilities. One slip and her life or ours could be ruined.

We did buy them both nintendo 3ds which have internet on them. The browser is basically useless so they just watch netflix a little. Mostly play games.
I tell you what, the vocabulary these kids have from playing those games is impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,610 times
We all have our own. We are a geeky household. Hubby and I are MMO gamers (yeah shoot me) so need computers a bit more powerful. Hubby is an IT professional so needs to have something good for work as well.. Kids have very basic computers to do school work however their basic computers can play most of what we play on our older computers, lol. Both of their computers have been put to very good use with school projects, entertainment, etc. in fact, our poor Xbox hasn't been unpacked or seen in several months. We are a PC family.

I really don't like kids fiddling around on my own computer so them having their own isn't a bad thing. We have all the Internet software set up so closely monitor what they are doing.

We still manage to do lots of family activities, spend time at soccer matches, etc. Mostly at home, my son does Minecraft and my daughter loves the Sims. At the end of the day though, can walk away from our computers quite easily.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:39 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,977,735 times
Only 3 people here. One p.c. Husband uses,
One laptop, husband uses.
One ipad we all use.
4th grader will be getting a chrome book from school to do work on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting