Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:08 AM

425 posts, read 647,230 times

Advertisements

I was in the same predicament as you when my wife and I were expecting....I had a Celica and she had a CLK coupe but I was going to be doing all the daycare shuttling so we kept the CLK and I got a 4 cylinder Highlander. Originally I was going for a Rav4 or Outback, but the Base Highlander was more spacious than a Rav4 and cheaper than the outback. I am VERY glad we got the midsize SUV with 3rd row seating. Your wife will spend the 1st year sitting in the back with the kid a lot...and you likely will shuttle other people so you will easily outgrow a small SUV very quickly. We rarely use the 3rd row since the big stroller sits in the trunk but it's nice to have it on the 3-4 times a year we want to drive 1 car rather than 2. On the rare occasion she needed to pickup the kid, the CLK worked in a pinch. When we had our 2nd kid, this arrangement still worked so I have no plans to sell our Highlander any time soon.

I would not recommend a luxury SUV because kids are just messy and gross. They will drop food everywhere, kick your seats with their feet, car dings from the car seat/stroller...that's just my opinion. I am very happy we got an economical midsize SUV since the gas costs are reasonable vs a v6/8, and we paid less for the Base engine. Go with safe, reliable and affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 02:13 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,365,577 times
While I agree with the premise of no luxury SUV as such, you don't have to allow your kids to eat in the car.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:45 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
I personally think a large percentage of the people on this thread don't have kids, or haven't had kids in the past 5-10 years.

we were in a similar situation, had a sedan and a small SUV that was on its way out and a sports car. eventually when we got rid of the SUV the sedan was just not big enough for use with the 1 kid. the rear facing car seats are such space hogs. my wife is 5'5" and had trouble fitting in front of it and wasn't comfortable. I'm 6'2" and honestly it didn't work at all. This was a 2003 Honda Accord so a decent sized car.

we got rid of the accord and got a minivan, its much much easier.

we used to have to load up the back seat when we went food shopping since the stroller took up the whole trunk. Now we have plenty of room, we can change him in the back. Sliding doors are great.

we looked at the smaller SUVs, and yes, they probably would have been better than the sedan, but ultimately we're planning on 2, so we figured we'd get the car we wanted for the planned situation and keep it, rather than feeling constrained in 2 years.

Also, the "rule" is rear facing until 2 now in theese gigantic seats..

you can make due with anything if you're willing to cram yourself in the front seat, and overload the interior of the car with everything imagineable. but you don't have to if you don't want to.

I would say both your cars are too small as a primary family transport. keep the IS and get rid of the 3 for something bigger, you can wait until you've dealt with this stuff for a little bit, but generally if you keep them rear facing until 2, you're going to feel the pain pretty quick

Old 09-20-2013, 05:00 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Gee, and how did families survive without minivans or large SUV? Maybe they carried around less garbage (things that don't need to be kept in the vehicle at all times).

Old 09-20-2013, 05:20 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Gee, and how did families survive without minivans or large SUV? Maybe they carried around less garbage (things that don't need to be kept in the vehicle at all times).
They drove station wagons and well since 1949 families had the good old Chevy Suburban to be the SUV that has been used by many people to haul the kids and all their gear around in larger families...

Old 09-20-2013, 05:33 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Also, in past decades car seats were not required, much less the large size seats today. A stroller is also large, unless you use an umbrella size, which is not always practical due to the small wheels and limited capacity.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Now I understand how GMC is able to sell those gigantic SUVs, and get people to part with 40-50k for the privilege.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:33 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
Gotta pay to play!

I can't wait to see the 2015 Suburbans in person!

Old 09-21-2013, 03:41 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
What about a wagon?

Old 09-21-2013, 03:43 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,802 times
My wife was against a mini van in the begining. I brought one home, that was 17 years ago. He have had mini vans ever since. One of the biggest issues my wife liked was with the mini van there was no more bending over and in to place the kid in the child seat or carrier base. Much easier on her back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting