Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:07 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times

Advertisements

Our 3rd rows - over many, many years and several vehicles - were very rarely used.
You definitely do not need a third row with one child and another planned in three years.

The extra space DOES come in handy for hauling stuff, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 12:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I looked at small SUV's and then I bought a minivan. I liked the way there was so much space between the kid's carseat and the door. I also liked how easy it was to get in and buckle her in.

Some of the small SUV's aren't much more than a taller small station wagon, not much room for cargo, especially the big stroller which will soon become a necessity for you, and the back seats can be difficult to buckle a rear-facing infant seat in. If you know what kind of infant carseat you want, you should buy it and try fitting it into the vehicles you're considering. Also look at the cargo space...if you have to take the stroller out and leave it at home to have room for groceries, that's inconvenient.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:37 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Get a minivan now, and think about the SUV only when you have multiple kids and when they are bigger.

For the next few years your primary concern will be ease of access: buckling the d*mn car seat every single time you get in and out.

When your kids are older, your needs change. I had a huge 3rd-row SUV that was perfect through middle school. I have three boys. We carpooled a TON for sports, and it is great to have extra room for kids AND equipment.

Third rows come in handy on road trips when your kids are 6'3" in 9th grade and they don't want to sit shoulder to shoulder for 500 miles. The price of gas is a REAL consideration, though, so if you only have 2 kids, forget the land yacht.

When my oldest started driving, I downsized to a crossover. MUCH better gas mileage, easier to park, and (sadly) we're all 5 only in the car together once MAYBE twice a week.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:39 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,284 times
I would vote for a 2 row. We have a Honda Pilot with the 3rd row and you have to be a midget or a very small child to use any of the seats.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:40 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,034 times
My wife is open to a minivan in the future, but not right now when we only have one kid.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:41 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
We have a 3 row minivan (2010 dodge caravan) and we really love it, but we do a lot of long trips hauling a bunch of crap with the 3rd row folded in.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
My wife is open to a minivan in the future, but not right now when we only have one kid.
Then keep the sedan and wait till you have 2 kids.

No SUV will be cheaper than what you already have.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
We are expecting our first in March, and want to upgrade one of our small sedans to an SUV. One option is going for a 3-row SUV, as we can grow into (we plan on having a 2nd kid in roughly 3 yrs).

However, my wife likes the idea of a 2-row SUV. She'll be the main driver, and doesn't care to drive a big SUV with only 1 kid. Also, it will be cheaper and provide better MPG. Then after having a 2nd kid, we can re-evaluate our needs and get a 3-row SUV or minivan (if we can't fit 2 kids + cargo in a small SUV). Obviously we’d lose some money on doing a trade-in that quickly, but at least we would save money on avoiding the 3-row SUV.

Any thoughts from those who have been in this situation? Has anyone gotten the smaller SUV and had regrets about not going bigger from the start?
We were in a similar situation 2 years ago when we bought a 2 row SUV (the RX350). I think there may have been 1 or 2 times in the past 2 years when we wished we had a 3rd row (i.e. 5 adults and 1 child meant we had to take 2 cars to a restaurant), but even then the 3rd row wouldn't have been very comfortable for 2 adults.

If you really want a 3rd row, just get a minivan.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:22 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
I'll agree with keeping the current vehicles you have now. See how it all works when you actually have a child and you will then know what you want when you are ready to change.

Personally I hate the bucket carrier/infant seat and did not buy/use one.

With my son, 4th child, I went straight to a convertible seat that worked for newborns up to 65 lbs and could rear face for longer than most. That particular seat fit fine in the Toyota Camry we had, as long as it was in the middle, but we now needed a vehicle that could seat 6.
We went with a mini van because it had sliding doors and made for far easier in and out access. I didn't have to bend over to buckle him in and I could crawl in if in was raining and shut the door and have room enough to buckle him in easily.

I could put in the booster seat for 3rd child in the back row and leave it, put the convertible seat in the middle seat by the driver's door and not have to move it again. No seats had to be moved/leaned forward for all to get in.

Today my kids are 31, 27, 15 and 10 and we all still fit nicely in the van when we go out to dinner as a family (usually on birthdays) and not have to take 2 vehicles.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:27 PM

I agree that you should not make any MAJOR decisions until AFTER the baby is here so you know what you're actually dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting