Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 04:46 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,912,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
WHY!?!?!? WHY!?!?!?

I'll tell you why!!!

It's unfair for kids to be discriminated against due to their age. I don't want kids smoking, drinking, driving, or marrying, but still. What areas are kids banned from on Disney cruise ships? I'd say kids have about 85 % of the rights adults have. And I don't think of "adult" as starting at 18, I think of it starting either earlier or later. I mean, why 18? You have 80 years to choose from!
Every cruise ship I've ever been on has had adult only areas. Sometimes people just want relaxing time without the raucousness of children. That's okay! There are also kids only areas--adults aren't allowed to play in the splash zones or go in the arcades unless they are monitoring their young children.

And yes, there are 55+ areas too. Sometimes people just want to spend time with others in the same stage of life as them. Nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 05:41 PM

878 posts, read 939,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I reject the idea that some kids are "bad" or "noisy."

I have no problem with adults only restaurants. There are plenty of places I can take my kids to eat.
Good. Take them to the kiddie joints.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:48 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,487,176 times
I think both sides have to give a little. Children are not little robots and won't be perfect at all times. Growing up involves making mistakes in the course of learning appropriate behavior. At the same time, common sense must be used in what situations are asking for trouble. If they can't yet sit through a long (boring) dinner, then an extremely fancy restaurant isn't yet developmentally appropriate. A child being taught manners at the next table by an involved parent helping guide them, "Honey, sit down." "Here, why don't you color this." "Use your inside voice." etc is perfectly fine, even if it involves occasional disturbances to the peace. The same parent blithely ignoring their child and focusing on their own dinner while said child runs between other tables shrieking and chasing their brother, not cool.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:02 PM

11,021 posts, read 9,653,863 times
Good Point Kit Kat. It is perfectly all right to hear an "Oops moment" at a restaurant and a parent making a correction in an appropriate tone of voice. If that correction doesn't work, then it's time for the parent to remove the child to avoid disturbing the other paying patrons of the establishment. Parents should know their children's level of acceptable behavior and chose restaurants accordingly. If 10 minutes is all your kid can do, stick to MickeyDee's. If you've been dining at home for 30-40 minutes on a regular basis without any disruptive behaviors, then they are ready for a pizza place, and so forth and so on. It's an everyday process, at home, everyday. They don't just learn to behave at a restaurant table one day by magic.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 PM

878 posts, read 939,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
I think both sides have to give a little. Children are not little robots and won't be perfect at all times. Growing up involves making mistakes in the course of learning appropriate behavior. At the same time, common sense must be used in what situations are asking for trouble. If they can't yet sit through a long (boring) dinner, then an extremely fancy restaurant isn't yet developmentally appropriate. A child being taught manners at the next table by an involved parent helping guide them, "Honey, sit down." "Here, why don't you color this." "Use your inside voice." etc is perfectly fine, even if it involves occasional disturbances to the peace. The same parent blithely ignoring their child and focusing on their own dinner while said child runs between other tables shrieking and chasing their brother, not cool.
I will not give an inch. Keep children away form non-kiddie establishments, including airliners.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,141,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
It's not fair to ban a certain age group from a public service. How do you think people would feel if no one over 80 could be at a restaurant?

It is not about age. It is about behavior. As soon as the kid can demonstrate he can handle the correct behavior s/he is all there.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:07 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,996,041 times
Oh God kids on cruises.... hubby and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon, and the whole time we were hoping for a little bit of time to go into one of the hot tubs, didn't have to be just the two of us, we didn't mind if other adults were there, but there were so many little kids running around and jumping around and hoping in and out of them we weren't even going to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Today we hide under ADD/ADHD/Bi Polar etc. These are just euphemisms for 'I didn't instill behavior in my child and now I want you to develop a solution'. Too late when the child is seven or later. It has to start when the child is one or two.
Totally agree, I feel at least half the cases of ADD/ADHD is from parents not giving the children enough outlets to correctly channel their abundance of energy as well as not instilling discipline in the kids. Love in that South Park episode where they find a "cure" for ADD/ADHD and all it is is a doctor who sees the kid acting up and basically smacks them and tells them to cut that **** out! lol.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,767,263 times
My oldest was one of those loud, wild kids until about the age of 4. We just didn't go out to eat or to the movies (even the dollar movies where kids roam the theater throughout the movie).

My husband and I went out for our anniversary a couple of years ago, and there was a table full of screaming kids next to us. We both ended up feeling bad that we had left our own well-behaved kids at home with a sitter just so we could pay to go out and be screamed at by someone else's kids.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,148,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My oldest was one of those loud, wild kids until about the age of 4. We just didn't go out to eat or to the movies (even the dollar movies where kids roam the theater throughout the movie).

My husband and I went out for our anniversary a couple of years ago, and there was a table full of screaming kids next to us. We both ended up feeling bad that we had left our own well-behaved kids at home with a sitter just so we could pay to go out and be screamed at by someone else's kids.
Did you let the manager know their behavior was disrupting your patronage of their business?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,217,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
I will not give an inch. Keep children away form non-kiddie establishments, including airliners.
Airliners aren't non-kiddie establishments. They are non-whinging moaning complainers establishments though.

Do people really get that bothered by raucous people (of all ages) at a restaurant? I usually just consider it dinner and a show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting