Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times

Advertisements

My SIL has a BA in childhood development and Masters in Education. So, you'd think she be ideal person to homeschool... but she's not at all. Absolutely no patience, she has her own ideas about how things are "done" and she's completely in denial about her children's issues. There's lots of behavioral problems with both of them. One has a speech impediment and people including the child's own father cannot understand him. SIL refused to take him to a pathologist because she says she understands him and that's all that matters. SIL intentionally isolates her children as she wants to control and do away with "bad influence".

Conversely, in that same town, I have a friend who hasn't even gone to community college (but did graduate from HS) who homeschool both of her boys and her niece. They are very well behaved, bright with a great aptitude for learning and have excellent manners/social skills. Quote frankly, they'd make best posterchildren for the homeschool argument.

Having a degree really means nothing... even an idiot can get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:40 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
My SIL has a BA in childhood development and Masters in Education. So, you'd think she be ideal person to homeschool... but she's not at all. Absolutely no patience, she has her own ideas about how things are "done" and she's completely in denial about her children's issues. There's lots of behavioral problems with both of them. One has a speech impediment and people including the child's own father cannot understand him. SIL refused to take him to a pathologist because she says she understands him and that's all that matters. SIL intentionally isolates her children as she wants to control and do away with "bad influence".

Conversely, in that same town, I have a friend who hasn't even gone to community college (but did graduate from HS) who homeschool both of her boys and her niece. They are very well behaved, bright with a great aptitude for learning and have excellent manners/social skills. Quote frankly, they'd make best posterchildren for the homeschool argument.

Having a degree really means nothing... even an idiot can get one.
Specific examples are not very useful in a larger debate like this. Let me ask this.

You have to pick one person to teach your child. All you know is one has a degree and one doesn't. Who do you pick?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Specific examples are not very useful in a larger debate like this. Let me ask this.

You have to pick one person to teach your child. All you know is one has a degree and one doesn't. Who do you pick?
Depends on the person. An education degree really tells me nothing and doesn't necessarily give an edge.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Depends on the person. An education degree really tells me nothing and doesn't necessarily give an edge.
It tells you they are more academically accomplished. Kimd of important for educating a child.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
No. I have a friend who has homeschooled her children, but she takes them to Mathnasium for mathematics lessons and tutoring. She freely admits that she cannot do beyond Algebra. Her 14 year old son is now doing Geometry, and advanced Calculus, and chemistry. She pays tutors.

If you are going to homeschool, don't cheat your kids out of their potential, by your own limits.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Well that is also true. Like I said teachers aren't hired who don't have a degree. Most people lacking one are not qualified to do so.
Quote:

If we are talking about being a stay at home parent, I'd pick the parent degree or not.

So you are still saying a stay at home mom should have an education degree? Moderator Cut.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-23-2013 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Flame

Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
If we are talking about being a stay at home parent, I'd pick the parent degree or not.

So you are still saying a stay at home mom should have an education degree?
Crazy to think one who educates children should be educated themselves! It is only the standard for teachers in the US.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-23-2013 at 08:33 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No. I have a friend who has homeschooled her children, but she takes them to Mathnasium for mathematics lessons and tutoring. She freely admits that she cannot do beyond Algebra. Her 14 year old son is now doing Geometry, and advanced Calculus, and chemistry. She pays tutors.

If you are going to homeschool, don't cheat your kids out of their potential, by your own limits.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Crazy to think one who educates children should be educated themselves! It is only the standard for teachers in the US.
When they are 3? Yes, ridiculous. Especially when daycares have no standards for teacher education levels.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
It tells you they are more academically accomplished. Kimd of important for educating a child.
"Academically accomplished"... doesn't indicate intelligence in such subject, just that they're trained. I've come across enough people who trained/opted for careers/degrees they really should not have. So no, again it doesn't tell me anything. Being trained/having a degree doesn't trump a person who has intelligence, affinity and aptitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting