Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 05:23 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I used to be impressed by a teaching degree, until I read this article:
The secret of Finland's stellar schools - The Week

This is not a diss on teachers, my kids have had some stellar ones. But, getting a degree alone isn't enough to guarantee success as a teacher. And, not having one doesn't mean a parent can't do a better job than some of the people holding positions in our schools.
There are plenty of poor schools out there that people graduate from. Like anything else you have to find the school that has the quality teachers/administration at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I'm sure I could find someone who could do my job with a HS degree even though it requires a bachelors to be hired. The question becomes how many who didn't pursue higher education will be doing all the things they didn't do for themselves?
It isn't at all unusual for parents who aren't degree educated to want it for their children.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
It's interesting how you think things are so obvious gatornation, as a teacher with a degree myself, I know that most other teachers actually feel that homeschooling (even if parents are only high-school educated), is a perfectly good alternative. Perhaps it is because "we" know that the majority of homeschooling parents are very passionate about education.

As much as I love teaching, when you have to teach 30 kids at once, there is only so much you can do. A one-on-one or one-on-three or whatever (depending on how many children that the parent is homeschooling) can provide much better results. Elementary and high school is not rocket science - most literate parents with access to proper homeschooling materials can do a perfectly fine job of it.

I also know teachers who, depending on their partners income, chose to stay home and homeschool instead of sending their own children to school. It I sn't because they are teachers with a degree, it is because they felt a parent/homeschooling community could provide a better education.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Another person who can't answer the question directly because in reality they'd pick the college grad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/bu...anted=all&_r=0
i answered your question. i said i'd pick the parent, since we are talking about being a stay at home parent, not about choosing a preschool. you have never addressed the fact that the child of a working mom would be going to daycare, not preschool, and that the requirements for teachers are not the same.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:54 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
It's interesting how you think things are so obvious gatornation, as a teacher with a degree myself, I know that most other teachers actually feel that homeschooling (even if parents are only high-school educated), is a perfectly good alternative. Perhaps it is because "we" know that the majority of homeschooling parents are very passionate about education.

As much as I love teaching, when you have to teach 30 kids at once, there is only so much you can do. A one-on-one or one-on-three or whatever (depending on how many children that the parent is homeschooling) can provide much better results. Elementary and high school is not rocket science - most literate parents with access to proper homeschooling materials can do a perfectly fine job of it.

I also know teachers who, depending on their partners income, chose to stay home and homeschool instead of sending their own children to school. It I sn't because they are teachers with a degree, it is because they felt a parent/homeschooling community could provide a better education.

As a teacher, you are constrained by the needs of the GENERAL populace that an individual family won't be constrained by. AFAIC, the degree issue is the least consideration when it comes to good outcomes.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:07 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Another person who can't answer the question directly because in reality they'd pick the college grad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/bu...anted=all&_r=0
Interesting, I thought the sentence "no, it's not" was pretty direct.

I'm not a believer that academic achievement in and of itself is an arbiter profound skill in anything. Well, except that you're good at going to school.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:16 AM

241 posts, read 543,479 times
Especially once you get into middle school and high school, I honestly don't understand how people think it is reasonable to home school without any kind of training.

I have a doctorate in science. My job is teaching at the college level. I could probably handle high school level homeschooling in most of the sciences. But history? English? There is no way I could provide kids with the kind of enthused teaching in those different subjects that I received myself as a young person. So I guess my answer to this is that I think almost no one out there is qualified to homeschool in all those subjects, even WITH a degree in one particular subject.

Underlying this whole argument is that if people really feel that they can do better than their local schools, the local schools must be pretty lousy.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Interesting, I thought the sentence "no, it's not" was pretty direct.

I'm not a believer that academic achievement in and of itself is an arbiter profound skill in anything. Well, except that you're good at going to school.
Salary and employment data would prove that wrong.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytlh View Post
Especially once you get into middle school and high school, I honestly don't understand how people think it is reasonable to home school without any kind of training.

I have a doctorate in science. My job is teaching at the college level. I could probably handle high school level homeschooling in most of the sciences. But history? English? There is no way I could provide kids with the kind of enthused teaching in those different subjects that I received myself as a young person. So I guess my answer to this is that I think almost no one out there is qualified to homeschool in all those subjects, even WITH a degree in one particular subject.

Underlying this whole argument is that if people really feel that they can do better than their local schools, the local schools must be pretty lousy.
Well said.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
The people I know who have insisted on homeschooling their children are the least qualified to do so. If parents would spend the time they devote to homeschooling instead to helping at their kids' school it would benefit many, not just one kid who's being kept out of school because someone convinced the parent he/she can teach their chill more effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting