Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 04:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
By chance, does she ever watch Caillou? I had to stop my dd from watching that stupid whiny cartoon because she began whining just like he does!
This made me laugh. The other week my brother was saying how our nephew needs to stop watching that show because he's turning into a whiny little kid like Caillou. I told him how I've read online that lots of parents are against Caillou because they think it creates bad behavior in their kids. My mom rolled her eyes, and didn't believe that a tv show could make kids whiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 04:14 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Don't explode...It is not natural to separate infants from their mothers and fathers and put them in day care...no matter what people say...this is still a baby....pick her up and hold her like a baby even though she might be heavy....The child is insecure.....Modern life and day care can have ill side effects.....You have to MOTHER this child. I remember when my first child would cry....I would carry her about in my arms .....it did not matter if it were for an hour...

Old 09-25-2013, 04:21 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Quote:
By chance, does she ever watch Caillou? I had to stop my dd from watching that stupid whiny cartoon because she began whining just like he does!
LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks Caillou is an annoying whiny little boy. hehe

Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Don't explode...It is not natural to separate infants from their mothers and fathers and put them in day care...no matter what people say...this is still a baby....pick her up and hold her like a baby even though she might be heavy....The child is insecure.....Modern life and day care can have ill side effects.....You have to MOTHER this child. I remember when my first child would cry....I would carry her about in my arms .....it did not matter if it were for an hour...
She's not in daycare anymore and hasn't been for almost a year. She was in for 7 months max like 2 days a week . I mother her all day everyday to the point of exhaustion believe me.

Calliou is so annoying!!!!! We got rid of cable and only watch things like Super Why and Word Girl , but yes that is a whiney cartoon lol!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:23 PM

13 posts, read 19,974 times
I went through the same thing with my daughter. For her, I tell her calmly, "(her name) I can't understand you, stop whining and talk to me (emphasis on the talk part)" If she won't stop screaming or is so loud that she can't even hear me without yelling, I tell her in a louder voice, "(her name) breathe! Calm down. Breathe." While saying this, I motion with my hands in and out as I breathe. She usually catches on, stops her screaming, and does the motion. It's kind of funny and really cute, but it helps her calm down. Then after she has calmed down, I ask her to talk to me and tell me what is wrong.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
My daughter is younger but she could whine for Britain - I also use the "I can't understand you" line and if its really bad I tell her that she must be tired because there's no other explanation for such whinging and put her to bed and tell her she can come out when she's ready to stop whining - that works every single time (so far).
I forgot! I did the "you sound tired" thing in a sweet voice all the time! It worked like magic because they did NOT want to take a nap. I used that mostly for temper tantrums or bad moods instead of whining though. As soon as I said "you sound tired," they'd quickly say they weren't tired and behaved appropriately. I don't recall ever having to literally put them down for a nap but I must have done it at least once for it to have worked so well. LOL

Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I forgot! I did the "you sound tired" thing in a sweet voice all the time! It worked like magic because they did NOT want to take a nap. I used that mostly for temper tantrums or bad moods instead of whining though. As soon as I said "you sound tired," they'd quickly say they weren't tired and behaved appropriately. I don't recall ever having to literally put them down for a nap but I must have done it at least once for it to have worked so well. LOL
Oh, this is a good one...!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:38 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
I did the "I'll listen when you talk like a big girl" thing too. And walk away after you say it, or completely tune her out. She will stop.

Lol, my son used to watch Caillou too.

However, the times he did whine like OP describes I just kind of snapped back and told him to knock it off or to bed he goes without dinner, no more toys,no more play etc.
It worked because we actually followed through with our threats the first time.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
I did the "I'll listen when you talk like a big girl" thing too. And walk away after you say it, or completely tune her out. She will stop.

That approach works. When a child whines, you just flat out tell them that you aren't going to give them anything until they ask you in a normal way.

Then NEVER give them anything or listen to them when they whine. They'll stop.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 PM

45 posts, read 95,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I don't know where she got it but I think it was around when I had her in daycare for 7 months (I'm a SAHM now). She'll be 4 Dec 1st. And I swear to you this kid can't ask for juice without it being a whine. She so much as brushes the counter with her arm "I have a booooo booooooooo" . Honest I hate to say it but she's a whiney cry baby! Every single action sets her off. I watch her cousin during the day who's 2 and If she even takes her pillow off her bed "my pillllooowwwwww" which then starts a "fake" crying fit. My husband works nights so I'm alone all day dealing with this cause he has to sleep, then alone all night while he works 6 days a week. I just put her down for bed and go in my room and cry.

I've tried ignorin it, time outs, distraction, yelling. I mean it's getting to the point where I feel like I just hate my life. Like this is it, a whining f***ing kid all day every day .. What do I do, how do I stop this. I don't know if it's part of the "my phase" we are in, "my tv, my bathtub, my mommy" but it had to end... It has to...
Okay, I don't have kids but I am sensing that your attitude towards your life is somehow being manifested in your daughter. I also feel that you might be a bit resistant to being a SAHM.

Your vibrations are sensed by others. Young children are incredibly perceptive. If you are resentful about being at home or torn about whether you want to or not, you will give out an energy of discontent that your daughter picks up.

I am also concerned about how you framed this whole situation. I sense more of a hostility to her needs rather than simple irritation or concern for her behavior. What I believe is that parents who are cold or otherwise indifferent to their child's needs, the child picks up on that and becomes more clingy, babyish, or otherwise dependent.

Last edited by my name is mud.; 09-25-2013 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting