Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 03:02 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times

Advertisements

When my son was in upper (4/5) ES and Middle School. I set the timer on his Xbox for 16 hr a week.

He could earn extra time by doing extra chores, getting a A on a test, etc. If he had a friend doing a sleep over i would also add extra time. The Xbox has off time you can set. (and on time). So he could not get up in middle of night and play, and there was a defined end time at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 08:05 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
To whomever repped me from this thread... thank you!

I did not know, but now I do.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:25 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
That's not embarrassing. Video game usage or random internet surfing cannot be harmful.
I volunteer in my kids' classrooms and am amazed at how distracted some kids. I didn't remember kids being as bad when I was younger so I asked 4 veteran teachers if they've seen a change over the years. Without hesitating, they all said "Oh yes!" I then asked what they thought was the reason for this. They all attributed the inability to focus, in large part, to excessive gaming, etc.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:37 PM

10 posts, read 18,672 times
pretty much all the time i just hate that xbox thing.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:17 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Just curious to see the range here.

My 9 y.o. son is allowed to play on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. We say one-hour only but in all honesty it often gets stretched a bit (to maybe 2) if a friend is over or hubby plays with him.

If it were up to him, he'd play all day. He is not one of those kids who can walk away from it. Sigh...

Don't worry, Obamacare will make them take multiple drugs to get over this "addiction". But, seriously, they get their homework done & get to bed at a reasonable time to get up for school, why should it matter? It's an escape, just like any major hobby, strong interest, or drug, that stops them from knowing something about everything, which might not be possible anyway.

Of course, the parents #1 job is don't let your kids do something where there is a significant chance of death. Protection for things beyond this may cause major disagreements. Should parents act like police officers, with 1,000 more "crimes" added? What if parents allow their kids to do anything they want? Could go to jail, be dead, or not be in trouble at all, depending on what they wanted to do.

Going to school is like a full-time job that pays nothing, & some classes might be OK. Other classes may seem boring & irrelevant. Don't they deserve some time for activities of their own choosing? I know I can't tell parents to be more or less permissive, but if they have some specific concerns, I can say how I see it & they can ignore me or not. Best wishes.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:07 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
I volunteer in my kids' classrooms and am amazed at how distracted some kids. I didn't remember kids being as bad when I was younger so I asked 4 veteran teachers if they've seen a change over the years. Without hesitating, they all said "Oh yes!" I then asked what they thought was the reason for this. They all attributed the inability to focus, in large part, to excessive gaming, etc.

I think gaming would force focus, at least if they wanted to be good at that. Maybe many kids have undiagnosed health problems, or problems caused by prescription pills, pollution, divorce or parents fighting, kids being bullied at home & over the internet. At many schools, 5%-10% or more of the kids are bringing guns, knives, or other weapons in to the schools. Imagine facing death at least 5 days a week! Alcohol or nicotine withdrawal could be a factor & cannabis (marijuana) is mostly good, but some kids use it before school & depending on the person, may get higher or lower grades or no difference.

Some kids even use hard drugs & even "marijuana" dealers might have weapons to protect inventory or cash. Some kids say they even feel in danger walking to or from school. I read about a minister's kid who bought cannabis from people who gave it to him & said he must pay the $75 by a specified future date. The date came, he didn't have the $75, so they killed him!

This wouldn't happen if they or older sibling or parents could buy it for them at Walgreens or Walmart. I'd favor a minimum age at point of purchase only, like it is done in Europe for alcohol & maybe that should be regulated that way here, too. But cannabis kills 0 & alcohol kills 100,000 Americans a year. Pills kill 125,000 Americans a year, but are the 1st thing many parents think of if kid has problems.

Excessive gaming being a cause of distraction could be partially right, if the reason it caused distraction was because these kids do not have any real relationship with the parents. Both can just close their doors to relieve their stress of thinking they should have a meaningful conversation or two. Parents may be stressed out about finances/job loss, or other things, so kids might feel they should keep emotions bottled up so they don't feel guilty about adding to their parents stress.

A war mentality is being used on many kids, by many police officers, many parents, school officials. So, the point of all this is the problems go way beyond time spent on video games. Agree or not? Let kids have rights, as long as not seriously dangerous. Parents should have rules, but not go to the point where all it does is create resentment. Homework before games, whatever. Show love if you can. Don't make it a competition to show who is in charge. Open dialogue & teamwork if possible.

I'm sure I haven't considered everything & don't have all the answers. Best wishes.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Don't worry, Obamacare will make them take multiple drugs to get over this "addiction".

Six of One - Obamacare vs. The Affordable Care Act - YouTube

Old 10-03-2013, 02:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
Why do you even have the TV on during dinner? Isn't that sending a mixed message? It's asking an awful lot of kids who are still pretty young to have a TV on and then expect them to not watch it, even though you are.
We watch CNN Student News on my tablet computer for the first few minutes of dinner and then discuss the day's news events together while we finish our meal.

As for the OP's question, our oldest kids generally have unlimited access to computers, because a lot of their schoolwork is completed and submitted on-line. Our youngest, the "gamer" is allowed to play Friday night and Saturday. Sundays are media-free unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:44 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
My brother and never had video games growing up. Never had a interest in them.

Guess you don't know what your missing if you never had them in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting