Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 12:51 PM

210 posts, read 707,921 times

Advertisements

A couple friends and I were talking the other day about how happy we are that we are not growing up in today's tech world. This mainly has to do with Social Networking.

I really feel for kids/teens that their whole life is on display for others to view & judge.
When I was in school, and an embarrassing moment happened, kids would tease and talk about it - but then they would eventually forget about it. Now, a picture is taken and posted on instagram/youtube for all to see and can literally stay up forever.

I don't think social networking is bad - I just think it adds an extra layer for kids to navigate. I fear for my children when they get older.

How do you find the balance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 01:02 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,516 times
I agree with you and your friends!

My kids are only 9&6 so are not engaged in social networking....yet. My SIL joined FB for the sole reason of keeping an eye on her son. I know there are ways where her son could block what she sees but he's a good kid and doesn't cause trouble (as far as we all know!).

There is one plus when it comes to social networking & kids. Kids are delaying getting their drivers licenses b/c it's so easy for them to connect w/out doing so in person Teens delay driving – in favor of virtual friendships - The Online Mom

I think 16 is far too young to start driving so I see this as a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joules21 View Post
A couple friends and I were talking the other day about how happy we are that we are not growing up in today's tech world. This mainly has to do with Social Networking.

I really feel for kids/teens that their whole life is on display for others to view & judge.
When I was in school, and an embarrassing moment happened, kids would tease and talk about it - but then they would eventually forget about it. Now, a picture is taken and posted on instagram/youtube for all to see and can literally stay up forever.

I don't think social networking is bad - I just think it adds an extra layer for kids to navigate. I fear for my children when they get older.

How do you find the balance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting