Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 01:17 PM

325 posts, read 1,036,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
-We don't keep score at sports. Why? Because we don't want to hurt the other teams feelings. Give me a break! (p.s. the kids actually love to keep score)
This is an old post but had to comment: Modern sport leagues don't keep score for young children because it creates systems where volunteer parent-coach's feel pressure to win. This in turn creates situations where the best kids are on all the time, the late bloomers never bloom becasue they're on the bench, and it all becomes "get the ball to big jimmy" rather than make an attempt yourself.

It has nothing to do with sparing feelings, the kids keep score in their head and that's fine. It's about how score keeping affects adults and a need for self-reflected glory. This why leagues actually have to make rules to make teams balanced in skill as some parents/coaches will want to a team of ringers, but a bunch of neighbourhood children intuitively know to put the two best kids on different teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 01:44 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I have not read every post, so I hope I'm not repeating. I raised 4 kids. My daughter was not at all interested in sports, and the three boys were all interested in different sports, some more than others. But my daughter was an avid reader, was in a choral group, and was a girl scout, so she did not just sit around and vegetate. You are right that your daughter should be exposed to different things, including sports, but it is better that she has input into what activities she is in.

Your daughter is young, so she does not need to be forced into classes or teams yet, but start letting her know that she will be expected to be a participator, and not just a bystander, because you want her to be a well rounded person. This can take many forms. By the time a child is in middle school, though, I think is very important for them to participate in something that wears them out and keeps them busy...just like if you don't give a puppy something to chew on, you might not like what they choose on their own.

With my kids, we expected everyone to have one activity and to see it through the season. If they truly didn't like it then they were free to choose something else. At the very least, they ended up knowing the basics of many different things.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
My 2 year old whines about brushing teeth.
So?

W know what is best. Not them.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:24 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My 2 year old whines about brushing teeth.
So?

W know what is best. Not them.
personal hygiene vs athletics... a little different don't you think?

Old 06-23-2014, 11:58 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
personal hygiene vs athletics... a little different don't you think?
No.

The point is what is best for them and what they will appreciate later.

I am happy to have great teeth and I am happy to be athletic.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:11 PM

703 posts, read 870,486 times
The best kids in school were the ones who did sports, including me. Look, I know kids who were in sports when they were frickin' 3, and there's nothing wrong with that. If they don't have any sports, especially over the summer, then they're going to get negative influence from kids who don't do anything, their friends are going to be kids who don't play any sports (& smoke 420 because it's "cool") and she's not going to be friends with smarter kids who are generally the ones who played sports in the future, so when she needs help with her homework, she's not going to have many friends to help her. In sports groups, we always cared a lot about sports, and we could always rely on each other for help. Don't listen to your daughter that way. Just tell her what I said, and that you know what's best. I have an utter dislike for parents who think 5-year-olds are rational enough to make these major decisions.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-24-2014 at 07:47 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Oh, please... sports aren't the end-all, be-all of life. Lots (if not most) people get by in life without sports. Let her choose something she wants to do... not what daddy's ego wants.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:22 PM

703 posts, read 870,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Oh, please... sports aren't the end-all, be-all of life. Lots (if not most) people get by in life without sports. Let her choose something she wants to do... not what daddy's ego wants.
it's not about that, oh my god. Read my post. I mean, i'm sure some dads are like that, but it means a lot more.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
it's not about that, oh my god. Read my post. I mean, i'm sure some dads are like that, but it means a lot more.
It means they're not going to be one of the popular kids? They don't "get" to be friends with the jocks? There are worse things in life. Once you are out of high school no one is going to care who your friends were or if you played any sports. Thats not what matters in the real world. But if you want to think it is, then go right ahead and talk about your "glory days" to all your buddies for all eternity.

Oh wait, you're in high school still, aren't you? Well you'll find out the reality of life soon enough.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:35 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
Oh my god, it is about that. Read your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting