Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Also, I really need to know what a "tardy" remark is.

I'm pretty sure you can guess, but for anyone who wonders, Urban Dictionary defines "tardy" as retarded. Isn't that a nice word to teach a pre-schooler?

Old 10-04-2013, 08:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm pretty sure you can guess, but for anyone who wonders, Urban Dictionary defines "tardy" as retarded. Isn't that a nice word to teach a pre-schooler?
I thought that the OP meant "tawdry mouth" such as using dirty language.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I thought that the OP meant "tawdry mouth" such as using dirty language.
That makes more sense, hopefully she just misspelled the word. But considering in a lot of her posts she likes to refer to other people as heifers I'm not too sure...

Old 10-04-2013, 09:07 PM

258 posts, read 421,934 times
I'm kinda torn on this one... for one, they are 4. Not that it right, but yes, it is pretty normal for 4 year olds to be trying to solve disagreements with aggression. They're still learning how to use words and other means to deal with disagreements... That said, though, the childcare provider should be helping them navigate this and if there is a specific child who is getting aggressive or a specific kid who is a victim of aggression, then it should be high priority for them to be helping this NOT happen and helping the kids learn functional ways to deal with disagreements.

Bottom line is that any childcares #1 job is to keep children safe and unharmed. In this case the child care people KNOW this is going on, they know it is consistent, and it is NO excuse that there are lots of kids in the environment. Unless there are a number of other kids getting hit every day, their priority should be supervising the child doing the hitting to prevent any one from getting hurt. No amount of money they charge, no amount of hip activities is more important than the bottom line of keeping the kids safe. They're only expensive because you and the other parents allow them to put other things ahead of your childrens safety, and that is a recipe for disaster.

Personally, I would teach a more constructive reaction like telling the other kid "that hurt!" and refusing to play with him. I wouldn't teach him to hit back... I wouldn't necessarily be upset if they DID hit back, but I wouldn't teach them to do it.

~Katy

Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
I'm still wanting to know what's up with the OP's fruit trees lol

Old 10-05-2013, 01:35 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Thanks good observation. What worries me is that he is an only kid & was besties with Jason, a kid with two other older siblings but from divorced parents. His mother is very promiscous. Being an only kid, my child was very dependant of this relationship to a point where it worried me. He would eat half his food & ""leave"" the other half for Jason then we'd have to coerce him to finish his food. This worried me because since Jason had 2 siblings, a myriad of step fathers(due to promiscous mom) I'm sure he was not thinking about my son as much as he was of Jason.

But now Jason has become an annoying bully & I have been unsuccessfully spoonfeeding my son to tell Jason that his real father left because he is mean & thats why he doesnt tuck him in bed every night. I figure since he is not as good as Jason with the blows, if he has a tardy mouth that should help. But I'm at my wit's end, even a tardy mouth he does not have! I am pissed at the fact that Jason went from imaginary brother to enemy. I have tried to approach him on the sly & tell him he is so wicked his own father left him but he is an immigrant or should I say his parents are & so there is a language barrier so I can not reproach him on the sly & just make this stop.

The on the sly thing, I once cornered a notorious bully on the sly, told him I'd PERSONALLY cane his behind if he doesnt leave my kid alone & it worked like a charm but with this Jason boy I cant ull that trick due to language issues.
You sound completely insane.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Also, some children really over react. I have the situation in the classroom where I'm substitute teaching. We hear "MJ (not real name) hit me" or "MJ bumped me" or "MJ called me names" perhaps 150 or 200 times a day from Aaron (not real name). Well, maybe it is true 5 or maybe even 10 times a day (a tiny accidental bump or brush against Aaron's arm) but Aaron screams in pain dozens and dozens of times each day. Sometimes MJ isn't even standing within 10 feet of Aaron and we hear "MJ kicked me!"
Sounds like, if there is ANY truth to this scenario at all, this could be a possibility. OP's posts have detailed how she gets in fights with all her neighbors over silly stuff, how she wants to systematically train her four year old to be mentally abusive and cruel to a boy with divorced parents... if she's not a troll then clearly there are issues understanding how to deal normally with other human beings. With her absurd overreactions being the pattern her son has observed, how would he ever have learned to interpret interactions with other people normally?

Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I can't tell if this is a real post or a troll. I'm kinda hoping troll at this point. But if not...

My daughter is 4. She does get hurt pretty regularly at daycare. This is sometimes because she and another child were maybe fighting over both wanting the same toy and she gets hit in the struggle. So intentional. But usually it is accidental. Just yesterday when I came to pick her up I saw her get "tackled" by a boy. The boy was just trying to let her know that I was there, but ran up behind her faster than she was running and ended up knocking her down face-first on the sidewalk. I witnessed it, so I knew it was just an accident, but if I hadn't been there I probably would have just heard "R pushed me". There is also a kid, B, who does frequently hit/hurt other kids. For a long time, whenever we would notice a "boo-boo" on my daughter, she would say "B did it!" She would say this even when it happened at home or anywhere else, so I *knew* it definitely wasn't B, but she just blamed everything on him. So I know that kids are not necessarily reliable narrators about what happened.

I would talk to the teachers to see what kind of situation it was that resulted in the boy getting hurt. And if you feel like the teachers are not able to keep your kid safe, then I would certainly recommend switching to a new daycare. I would certainly not recommend telling the child to fight back or be mean with words, particularly at this age.

We teach my daughter to "use her words" for things like this. She says something like "Stop! That hurt! I don't like it! Don't do it again!" if it was intentional, or "Ow! That hurt! Be careful!" if it was an accident.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:53 AM

384 posts, read 594,408 times
Check the cameras.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:08 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I can't tell if this is a real post or a troll. I'm kinda hoping troll at this point. But if not...

My daughter is 4. She does get hurt pretty regularly at daycare. This is sometimes because she and another child were maybe fighting over both wanting the same toy and she gets hit in the struggle. So intentional. But usually it is accidental. Just yesterday when I came to pick her up I saw her get "tackled" by a boy. The boy was just trying to let her know that I was there, but ran up behind her faster than she was running and ended up knocking her down face-first on the sidewalk. I witnessed it, so I knew it was just an accident, but if I hadn't been there I probably would have just heard "R pushed me". There is also a kid, B, who does frequently hit/hurt other kids. For a long time, whenever we would notice a "boo-boo" on my daughter, she would say "B did it!" She would say this even when it happened at home or anywhere else, so I *knew* it definitely wasn't B, but she just blamed everything on him. So I know that kids are not necessarily reliable narrators about what happened.

I would talk to the teachers to see what kind of situation it was that resulted in the boy getting hurt. And if you feel like the teachers are not able to keep your kid safe, then I would certainly recommend switching to a new daycare. I would certainly not recommend telling the child to fight back or be mean with words, particularly at this age.

We teach my daughter to "use her words" for things like this. She says something like "Stop! That hurt! I don't like it! Don't do it again!" if it was intentional, or "Ow! That hurt! Be careful!" if it was an accident.
This post makes me ashamed of myself. I now realise I never taught the kid to say simple stuff like stop, that hurts etc. Instead I have been teaching him that the minute he is hurt he should hurt back.

Now here is my strategy. If he is attacked, I''ll tell him to say stop. I'm hurt but if the other kid goes no, then what? Is he supposed to run away or attack? Or report to a teacher. I'm not comfortable with the idea of him fleeing from bulies so IMO the runaway or report to a teacher only makes the other kids think he is weak.

Yes I do not know if he is exxagerating about these attacks or not. Like someone said, kids this age are self centered. So I have no way of judging how bad things are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting